Author Topic: Standup as therapy  (Read 6975 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Standup as therapy
« on: March 13, 2008, 06:22:15 PM »
I decided to share this not because I'm interested in discussing my personal issues but because I think it might be something that could help others. Standup has changed my life. I know it sounds foolish but its very true.

Before I started doing standup I had a serious balance problem stemming from a brain tumor in my left ear. The tumor is on the vestibular nerve which controls the sense of balance. I frequently had difficulty driving, would stumble and occasionally fall...lots of funny things going on.

I had done some balance therapy but found it didn't help much. Boring as hell too. Then Bill gave me his board (Thanks again bro). I had a lot of difficulty getting started but noticed that after each session I felt more stable, I pushed myself to get on the water more and was amazed to actually almost start feeling normal for the 1st time in years. You have no idea the high it was to feel normal after so long with my head in a daze I've found that the more I get out the more consistantly stable I feel. The recent vacation to Maui put the exclamation point on the whole idea. My head was amazingly clear most of the time we were there.

Then comes the return home...piles of work that accumulated needing my attention, sick as a dog twice in two weeks, just no time to get on the water, especially not with bronchitis and the water 37 deg F. What happens...my balance starts to go out the window. By the end of 3 weeks of no paddling my balance problems were back ( head colds make it worse but that wasn't the only reason).

I went out today for 3 hours in knee highs and some sloppy chop. I came back in beat and tired but my head was clear. I'm still amazed by the transformation. Much better than any pill the doctors ever prescribed and a whole lot healthier. Anyway....if you know of someone having balance issues you might suggest it. You could change their life.

OK....enough of the commercial, back to your regularly scheduled prgram. Somebody post some pictures of some big waves.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Standup as therapy
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
Hmmm. Doc says you need to spend more time surfing and less time working. Don’t we all?

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 06:58:36 PM »
i always had a lot of trouble balancing...

...my checkbook. now that i have been stand up paddling i realize that money isn't all it's cut out to be. seriously though bob, it's great that you've found some therapudic value in this activity.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

surfpainter

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 07:09:07 PM »
Absolutely the best therapy...whether it be swimming or surf, windsurf and certainly stand-up, I come in from paddling in the best mood that lasts for a good while.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 08:15:32 PM »
The Doc also says you need more fiber.......carbon fiber...... ;D...Good for you Bob.

My daily SUP routine is also good therapy for me.. 8)

Life's too short...go SUP'ing.

DJ

gjbstandup

• Sunset Status
  • SHARE THE PASSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 08:32:53 PM »
Stand Up is; Physical Therapy, Mental Therapy and Spiritual Therapy...
8-2 Wide Point
11-6  Starboard GO SUP

toejammer2

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 10:04:04 PM »
Cheers all!
I used to be an angry/ frustrated surfer. I got into windsurfing to supplement surfing.  Stand up paddle surfing changed my entire attitude. After surfing for so many years I got into a pattern of expecting good wave sessions/howling winds/ driving away bummed out due to crowds and crap -now most of the time I'm gettin my wetsuit on quick. Sure the waves may be small and junky , but from up where our heads are it actually makes the waves look better I think. Add in the ability to rip smooth faces in light wave sailing conditions ( if yours comes with a mast track) and it doesn't matter if the wind is howling. I've become much more of a calm person. I know that no matter what I may have missed yesterday, even a marginal  day can bring a smile to my face.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 08:08:51 AM »
As important as the physical therapy has been I wasn't discounting the mental therapy it provides as well. It definitely cleans the soul.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Lightning Bolt Maui

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 11:41:27 AM »
I started standup paddling as physical therapy. I had just received shoulder surgery on my right shoulder. My health insurance was canceled by my wife because she decided she wanted a divorce. So i was left with no way to get physical therapy on my shoulder.
    I was sitting on the beach here in Maui watching everyone having fun on the ocean and it was driving me crazy that i could not participate. My roommate ( Outer Reef Randy) was already a standup addict. I was sure i would never get in to it because i was a short board rider. Nothing bigger then 6'6".
    The more i watched and was unable to join the surfers the more i started to look in to Standup. I could not paddle a regular surf board because i had no range of motion from the surgery. I did notice that the sweeping motion of standup i was able to do. So i reluctantly tried it. 
   The movement of the shoulder i was able to do and pain-free. so i paddled out a bit farther and it all still felt good. Then of course in my over do it ways i went for a wave. Got it rode it and no pain to the shoulder. I fell several times but the shoulder felt great. I started doing it every morning to help rehab my shoulder.
   Almost 2 years later now i still get up every morning for my shoulder standup paddle therapy. I am a full blown addict now of standup. Its all i want to ride and the movement helped my shoulder recover and get stronger. I have not ridden my trust 6'6" since and i dont miss it as much as i thought i would.  Now i am in to high performance standup boards in big surf.  Standup helped me through a very difficult patch in my life and i am very thankful for it. It was a great physical therapy for my shoulder and a much better mental therapy for my mind. I cant say enough good things about standup.

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 11:59:20 AM »
Stoneaxe-
That is why the P7 is going to be so awesome ( hard but awesome), and you are going to smoke it  baby.
I'll call you later today.
ECSUP

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 02:48:30 PM »
The health benefits (mental and physical) are unreal, not to mention the physique benefits.  I 've been standing-up about a year and a half.  I've gotten comments from friends if i started working out (gym) lifting weights. They say I look a lot more "cut" and toned. I even had a lady surfer paddle to me and comment on my legs, sexy calves. LOL!  I tell them it is all from stand-up paddle surfing. I hate gym workouts and have never done them, but stand-up paddle surfing I like as I am getting a full workout and having fun at the saem time.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 04:21:56 PM »
Get those ribs better and get out there Frank.

There is a commercial for a gym being aired on the radio around here these days. A quote from a well known doctor....." If the health benefits of physical exercise could be put in a pill it would be the most widely prescribed medicine in the world". When I consider what standup has done for me in 7 short months its really astounding. Even aside from the balance therapy. I've lost 30 lbs of fat and gained 10 or so of muscle.

The other day my oldest daughter happened to see me with a tight shirt on. She said "WTH have you been doing Dad you look all jacked up" . Just a few days prior to that a 30 something cute female co-worker said "Thank you for coming in today Bob.....you're  looking hot.....sizzling in fact". I told her she needed her eyeglass prescription changed but it certainly felt good. Of course my wife had a laugh at that and is now calling me "The Sizzler" . It's been a LONG time since anyone noticed my physique other than to say "DAMN you're big"

I've been encouraging everybody I know to give it a try. Of course most look at me like I'm nuts going out in the cold but I'm sure to get some people joing me this summer.
Bob

Honolii

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 04:51:12 PM »
LOL! Maybe it's time for a name change, "The Sizzler".
Now THAT would be a great SUP board model name. :D

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 07:40:01 PM »
Damn...I'm definitely going to regret mentioning that.... ;D
Bob

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal