Author Topic: Pad for Starboard TAC- Gain comfort-don't compromise aesthetics  (Read 5330 times)

sideshore

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Perhaps the Startouch deck traction is all you need, but has anyone experimented with adding a deck pad to a TAC. I am thinking of adding a small pad or pads to increase comfort while maintaining maximum exposure to the aesthetics of the wooden veneer. Apparently, Starboard is supposed to be coming out with a wood-toned pad but according to my sources they're not sure when it will happen.

The ideal solution if it will provide extra comfort are two small (just bigger than foot sized) wood-toned pads. If wood tone is not going to be available, then I guess an all black version of similar size would look ok. Or nothing at all...maybe the Startouch by itself is going to work just fine? I'd appreciate any thoughts. 

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pad for Starboard TAC- Gain comfort-don't compromise aesthetics
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 01:10:45 PM »
You might try getting a pair of Vibram five fingers shoes/booties. I have the startouch on one board and have thought about putting a pad on it but every time I think of the extra weight and work involved, I decide to just keep using the vibram five fingers shoes when I use that board. They are so sticky you will never miss a pad and the neoprene ones do add a bit of comfort like a pad would.  Your mileage may vary.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 01:31:48 PM »
I think a dark green pad looks great on wood.  The photo below is a hollow wood SUP that I built.  I custom cut the pad using dark green Hydroturf. http://hydroturf.com/products/Surf_Traction/Sheets_of_Hydro-Turf For less than you'd pay for a pre-made pad, you can get enough material to make two or more custom pads, and it's the same material.  Call or e-mail and they will send you samples of the colors you are considering.

They also sell a color they call "Wood" but it doesn't look like wood to me.   

I think contrasting colors work best, and the dark green looked the best to my eye.  The nice thing about making your own pad with Hydroturf is that you can customize the size and shape you want.  If all you are looking for is some extra padding under the foot area, it would be easy to make a tasteful pad in a size and shape that looks good on your board.  I can't speak to adhering a pad to Startouch, but others can weigh in on that.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 01:54:13 PM »
Andy--that's a nice looking board.  Plus, green and red are complementary colors, and complementary colors intensify one another.  So besides just being a nice color, the green pad makes the wood look richer. 

Thanks also for the Hydro-Turf info.  I'm going to investigate using it on some interior stair treads in my house.  Wood is slippery, metal is cold and noisy, and I don't like carpet, vinyl or rubber treads.  The Hydro-Turf might be perfect, plus I like the colors and patterns.  It would be at least as practical as my idea of making a carbon dog dish. 

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 08:30:47 PM »
Hydroturf is great stuff, I like the stair tread idea.  I use scraps of it for all kinds of things on my boat and around the shop.  The adhesive on it is really good, and it's really easy to attach the stuff to anything that needs some grip or a bit of cushion.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 12:14:36 AM »
 It would be at least as practical as my idea of making a carbon dog dish.  

That would have to be the polar opposite of the concrete dog dish we have at our property in South Gippsland near the southern most tip of mainland Australia - we look down on the body of water, Shallow Inlet where many international windsurf and sailing speed records have been set.

To say it gets windy is an understatement, concrete dog bowl is the perfect doggie accessory! Sorry to go off topic sideshore...

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 12:19:37 AM by JonathanC »

bean

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 06:54:01 AM »
I think a good solution for preserving the natural finish on an SUP is Monster Paint - Traction.  It sprays on clear, you get great grip, and it looks really good.  It lasts a long time and can be reapplied.  I use it on the nose and partial rails of my board and a light coat on my paddle shaft (grip area only).  I also use it on my balance boards (it is not as bumpy as the original Indoboard finsish).  Check out the related videos on you tube.

As far as the carbon-fiber dog dish goes, I'll take two.  My bully needs more fiber in her diet. :D

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 02:45:56 PM »
Aesthetics are important to me, too.The x-trak pads are by far the nicest made and versatile I've seen and used. Lots of nice tasteful color options!

No problem putting a pad over Startouch. Have done it for both my Starboards. Wash and wipe it clean w/fresh water rinse , maybe 2X and clean w/denatured alcohol or Mr. Clean magic erase the scuffs and let thoroughly dry (overnight can't hurt). Any pad w/quality adhesive like 3M will stay put forever.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal