Author Topic: anyone here riding the Angulo 10-4 Surfa?  (Read 8024 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
anyone here riding the Angulo 10-4 Surfa?
« on: February 23, 2011, 06:35:07 AM »
from the looks of it, it seems like it ought to be a better noserider-type board than my 10' naish mana and a better surfing board than my old starboard drive.  if anyone has one or has ridden one, i wonder what your thoughts are.  anyone have any input?  thanks!

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: anyone here riding the Angulo 10-4 Surfa?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 05:22:41 AM »
no one?  anyone?

a bit more info:

Length: 10' 4"
Nose: 23”
MId: 31 1/2”
Tail: 17 3/4”
Thickness: 4 3/8”
Volume: 170
Weight: 21 lbs

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 05:47:05 AM »
You are better off ordering a noserider as a custom from a shaper that knows how to shape a noserider.  It might get expensive trying to test out all of these boards to see if they can noseride when most of them are not shaped to specifically nose ride.

Someone like Tim Stamps or Steve Boehne know far more about shaping a noserider than these windsurfing companies that mass produce SUPs.  Just my 2 cents.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 06:46:37 AM »
That looks like the original Angulo 10'4. I owned that board Linter.

The shop I bought it from, let me trade it back in after owning it 2 weeks. It didn't suit me. A very flat rockered board. It did not turn unless on the tail and the nose would pearl too easy for my skill at the time.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:53:07 AM »
thanks for the input.

dw: i don't think it's the same board.  this one was released just last summer.  i'm hoping srfnff will weigh in, since i think he owns a prototype.

paddlejones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:18:49 AM »
Time to schedule a trip to Maui or Santa Cruz...

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 08:21:38 AM »
Erik,
The Surfa is pretty similar to my 9'11 Angulo custom. I haven't ridden one myself, but have talked to a number of folks who have it gets good reviews. From what I've observed, these boards surf well and their owners like them. As far as noseriding specifics, I can't comment, however my Angulo custom is an excellent noserider.  I may be able to get my hands on one and give a first hand report if I can track down Whitty.  If you have any opportunity to make it out to NorCal I can surely arrange to get you on one.

Contrary to what JD suggests, Ed Angulo is one of the top custom shapers in the business, and has been building SUPs about as long as anyone else out there. The Surfa is nothing at all like the old 10'4, and is much more performance oriented.  Funny to see the comments about rocker, because the rocker on my Angulo is perhaps it's best attribute: catches waves easily, paddles well, but is right at home making late drops and hard bottom turns in overhead California surf.  Ed knows what he's doing, and there's a reason I custom ordered a board from him all the way from Maui despite half a dozen really good custom SUP shapers within a mile or two of where I live.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 10:04:15 AM »
Funny to see the comments about rocker, because the rocker on my Angulo is perhaps it's best attribute:

If I lived in CA, what I like in a board would be completely different. Your idea of a steep drop is laughable compared to the crap we surf. You lucky west coast guys  ;D .... don't even bother to get wet when the surf is crappy like our (normal) surf.  ;)

Linter's an east coast guy cursed with crappy surf like me  ;D

I might see a wave like in your photo once a year! Yeah it sucks to be me, but at least our water is 85 degrees all summer  ;D

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 10:07:08 AM by DW »

jd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 10:29:17 AM »

Contrary to what JD suggests, Ed Angulo is one of the top custom shapers in the business, and has been building SUPs about as long as anyone else out there.

So get a custom from Angulo.  Point was get a custom designed by someone that knows how to shape a noserider.

Here's what Linter wrote a couple weeks ago about what he is looking for:  "now i know the mana can be noseridden but what i'm looking for is a board that not only "can" but also "wants" and is "designed to"."  IIRC, he was bummed his Naish wasn't the greatest noserider and wants a noserider. 

You have a custom Angulo and he's not asking about a custom Angulo.  Sorry if you think I was taking a pot shot at your shaper, I wasn't.  Point is the board he is asking about is a "production" board and I would gather was not necessarily designed and manufactured with noseriding in mind, but I could be wrong.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 11:37:38 AM »
hey andy: if you could get ahold of one and give it a try, that'd be great.  sure, i'd love a custom angulo but last i heard, they were around $1,800 plus shipping from HI, which counts me wwwway out.  anyway, i kind of like production boards and i've been able to strike a pretty fair deal for one of these surfas if i want it.  but i sure would like to know more before i commit!  thanks again.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 12:45:38 PM »
I have had mine for about a month. Great board and I'm very happy with my choice. It helped being able to demo one while camping in San Clemente back in October for 3 days during a nice south swell with overhead sets.
My first use was with a 5.8 sail on a light wind (but too choppy for SUP) day with 1-3ft surf which is one of the reasons I wanted a board with a mast track. Tons for fun on a day I would not have bothered to SUP and not quite windy enough for even the kiters.
Since then it been about 20 hours in small surf, nothing bigger then chest high.
Couple of things I've noticed; The board at 31-1/2" wide is VERY stable which is nice for a 4+ hour session. I'm not worn out doing the hula in the chop. Plus I have found it to be more far stable in the white water then my 12' Laird ever was. It's easy to paddle and glides well which is nice as the breaks I like to frequent are a mile of more from where I park. Really easy to catch waves which was not something I expected. Turns like a dream, And lastly it really likes to be ridden forward of center on the small stuff meaning it's a great nose rider. I'm still playing around with my position on the board while on the wave and expect to discover a few other treats this  board has to offer.
I have a lot of respect for Ed Angulo's experience as a shaper and I think his SUP shapes have not been getting the exposure they deserve. He makes great boards and if your looking for a 10-4 the Surfa should get serious consideration.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 02:27:25 PM »
starman: thanks for weighing in; sounds encouraging!  what about the rocker profile -- ie how do you think it handles suckier, beach break type waves such as dw and i often encounter?  thanks again.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 04:00:34 PM »
Linter,,it has plenty of rocker as far as I'm concerned. Mine is the 2011 model so not sure how it compares to past models in rocker profile. The current rocker profile would account for my stoke anytime I get to carve a nice bottom turn. But since I haven't had the fortune of being off work when there is a decent size swell this winter around here (which has not been very often this winter) I'm guessing my days have been not very different then what you see on average. So yea I would say you would have tons of fun on it. I certainly have and really was surprised how stable yet easy to turn with the slightest rail pressure. I didn't know how easy it could be to exit a wave and stay dry. I also find myself shifting to the forward half of the board in small stuff which I think is a product of the rocker line and nose profile.

Jeroensurf

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 01:58:22 AM »
I had exact the same experience with the 9.8 Surfa i demo-ed.
Very good shape!
It padles and rides very stable+ turns tight for its size.
On a chaotic crappy breachbreak wave of shoulder to overhead it turns as tight as my Coreban9.6 but feels a lot easier (altough i wonder if it would handle speedy waves as well as the Coreban). Compared to the Drive10.5 the 9.8Surfa did start later, but turns a lot tighter and is eassier because due its rocker.
I didnt noseride it because of the bad quality waves and because it was overcrowded in the water.
The 9.8 has a fat wide nose so I think you might be able to ride it, but because it has a lot of rocker it wouldnt be my first choice for that.
If the 10.4 is flatter it could be a winner.

After all, i have a 3 boards, but if i have to scale down to one, it will be a Surfa!

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 01:20:21 PM »
Erik,
We are having a bit of winter this week (snow actually forecast) and the ocean's a mess at the moment.  I'll see what I can do about getting on a Surfa and providing a ride report as soon as it cleans up.  I'll also do a little bit of checking around to see if any customs like mine may be available.  Ed's been in town a few times this year, and he often brings a few boards along when he comes.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal