Author Topic: Starboard Pin or Free race 29  (Read 3178 times)

andyb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Starboard Pin or Free race 29
« on: February 20, 2011, 12:01:51 PM »
Keen to get into open water paddling/downwinding to complement my SUP surfing. Doing it on a budget ie 2nd hand; both of these boards are available at an OK price (pretty limited choice here in UK.) Is the Pin better for the downwind/choppy water issues.I will not be racing.
Andy

andyb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Starboard Pin or Free race 29
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 01:39:31 PM »
Forgot to say, I weigh 155lb, 5'11 tall.
Would like sufficient stability for a spot of fishing too. Currently using a Starboard Ultimate Blend for non surfing SUPing. Suspect it's rather slow in comparison to these boards.

Andy

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:40:16 AM »
Both will work - the Pin is fairly flat - so it does not surf all that well (as in a down wind situation)
At your weight - either will be stable.
The 29" Free Race will be faster through the water.

my 2¢

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

highlander51

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:38:28 PM »
Easyrider, I thought that the Pin has more rocker and therefore slower than the Free race. I have a Pin and a Fly race standard, and have been testing with a gps to see which is faster both in flat water and in ocean conditions.
Not much difference as my Pin is 7 lbs. lighter and quicker, but the fly race is a little easier to maintain a fast cruise speed. The Fly race has a rocker simalar to the Free race but is 1.5" wider.

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 11:29:09 PM »
I have the Pin and a few other Starboards, though not the Free Race. I am pretty certain that the Pin is faster in flat water than the Free Race, it's certainly faster than the Surf Race. However I think the Free Race would be better than the Pin in a downwinder. The Pin works fine on a downwinder, but the Free Race is better suited to those conditions. However if you are able to get your hands on a second hand Surf Race, I think you will like it.

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 08:13:43 AM »
I find the Surf Race much faster than the Pin.  Even on flat water.  I did go from AST to carbon construction but I think the narrower board is the major contributing factor.

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 02:33:47 AM »
Yes good point, the narrower Surf Race is pretty quick. I would definitely recommend the Surf Race, then the Pin, then the Free Race in that order.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal