Author Topic: Another 'What first board do I buy' beginner thread...  (Read 5634 times)

adso

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Another 'What first board do I buy' beginner thread...
« on: February 16, 2011, 03:19:50 PM »
I've been trolling for a while but I'm in the last stages of selecting a first board and was wondering if I could get some feedback. I’m 5’10, 165-170lbs, intermediate (at best) surfer, living in Arlington, VA (right next to Washington DC). I make it to the beach for day/weekend vacation trips 10-15 times a year. I am more interested in surfing than flatwater paddling, but based on how far I live from the beach and the typical conditions (ankle-waist beach break at MD beaches, VA Beach, occasional OBX) during the warmer months I think I need something that will allow me to get some exercise in on flat days and local bodies of water like the Potomac, Chesapeake, etc. I think flatwater will be fun and plan on doing a fair bit of it, but I am willing to sacrifice some flatwater performance to up my surfing experience. I also want to make sure I buy something that I won’t grow out of really quickly as I get better.

I have rented a couple boards that did nothing well except convince me that I want in on SUP. I’ve done a fair amount of research and I’m sure it’s no surprise that everyone I’ve talked to and everything I’ve read seems to have a different opinion. Everyone I have talked to or that has responded to my posts has been extremely helpful though, the great community in this sport is obvious. So here’s the boards I have been looking at:

Starboard Drive 10’5 x 30: This is the one I am leaning towards so far based on reviews and a great rec from SurfingSports. Great customer service, these guys spent 45 minutes with me on the phone and really broke down the anatomy of the board and why this particular design/dims would be good for my conditions and size. From what I’ve read it seems like this board both surfs and glides well and that Starboard as a brand seems to be one of the top 3 if not the ‘best’ production board manufacturer out there right now. Love the TAC construction, though like I was told on the phone, as a beginner board I probably don’t deserve it in wood haha. (I totally agree!) I would probably go with the blue ast model…. Though as far as I can tell the white ast version is $350 cheaper and the only difference is the blue color and the startouch pad-less coating. If you’re adding a pad anyways go white right? This seems like an easy board to learn on that I would still enjoy paddling later on down the road if I buy other more specialized boards.

Coreban 10’6 x 30 Rockett: I haven’t been able to find too much info on these, though what I have has been positive. It seems like Coreban’s version of the Drive. Just looking at pics it seems like the tail is wider on this board than the Drive and based on a conversation I had, having a narrower pintail shape is good idea for surfing performance in the conditions around here and for the goofey-footed like me. Seems to have a fair bit of additional volume and a bit less rocker.

Coreban 10 x 29.5 Icon: Saw this in person in the pure construction, it looks great! Comes with a bag too which is nice. I really like the 5 fin boxes so you have options. It sounds like glide is really starting to be sacrificed at this length and this board is mainly a good surfing board for bigger guys.

Naish Nalu 11’4: For a while I was pretty set on one of these. It sounds like they surf decently for such a long board and still have good glide with the length. However it sounds like you can drop to 10’5-ish and gain a lot of surfing performance without losing much glide. On top of that, this is just a lot of board to store and transport.

Naish Mana 9’5/10: These boards sound really fun, but it also sounds like I would grow out of them fairly quickly and they just are not that great on flatwater.

Fanatic Fly 10 x30: Got this recommendation along with a lot of other helpful info from JimK. To be honest I just couldn’t find a lot of other information or recommendations about these boards. This and the 10’6 look like something I might be interested in, so if anyone has any other info about them I’d love to hear it. I’ll admit I am a bit brand focused on Starboard, Naish, and Coreban at the moment.

Naish Nalu 11’6: Way too big, too much volume.

Starboard Blend 11’2: Way too big, too much volume.

Anyways, any personal experience with these (or any other boards I should consider) and guidance you have about the best choice for my size and area would be great.

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Some additional resources for other beginners

Starboard Drive:
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=7762.0 Do a search, lots of anecdotal info on the Drive.
http://www.star-board-sup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5349
http://www.isup.asia/index.php/reviews/drive-review.html
http://supadvisor.com/product.asp?idprod=42

Coreban Rockett
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=6503.0;wap2
Coreban Rockett SUP Stand up paddle surfing board review

Coreban Icon
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=9548.0 Do a search, lots of anecdotal info on the Icon.
Coreban 10ft Icon SUP Stand Up Paddle Surfing board test

Sites: Good thread on other places to look for SUP info
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=4571.0

Vendors:
http://surfingsports.com/index.asp  Super knowledgeable and very willing to talk in detail about the sport and different types of boards. Huge board selection and deals on used/older boards. Lots of great pics of boards.

www.extremewindsurfing.com    JimK owner on this board very helpful and very stoked about SUP, very willing to help find you a board.

http://www.eastofmauiboardshop.com/  Mark & Mark owners of the local-ish SUP shop around here, great guys and real helpful/responsive SUP fans.       

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Another 'What first board do I buy' beginner thread...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 03:32:18 PM »
Get the 10 by 29.5... you will grow out of this one the least quickly...

At your weight, it will float you like a boat and be very stable...

Thanks,

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 03:51:38 PM »
I think you might need to do a little more research.  ;)  If you only surfing 10-15 times a year (which probably means 10 because your stoke has blinded you into being optimistic), I'd go with something longer than 10'. 

Here's on older post on the Rockett:
" Re: Coreban Rockett review please
Post by: Rdubach on March 02, 2010, 05:01:00 PM
I have two rockets, one for myself and one for my wife.  We live in Santa Monica where the waves are eternally destined to be between 2-4 foot except on occasion.  That leaves us with many days where we are either doing a distance paddle (8 miles) or catching super small surf. 

I will say that I love this board.  I have ridden the Cruiser, Rocket, and Performer.  I weigh about 170, my wife is about 120.  The Performer is great for catching waves 3-4+, but super loose in the water and not very good for distance paddles (doable, but I wouldn't buy it for that purpose).  The Cruiser is a long boarders dream and obviously the best of the three for paddling, but it is BIG.  You better be a good surfer to be able to maneuver it if you're in a crowd. The Rocket, the perfect blend I think.  That's why my wife and I got two to start out with. 

It's extremely stable, progressive (meaning I learned on 2-4 foot days, but took it out in 8-10 surf about 3 weeks into it and rode like a champ), and above all else, multi-purposed.  I would recommend it to anyone really as it's great for beginners and for guys that want to ride big waves. 

As for weight and feeling "Corky."  My wife is more stable on hers than me and she is 30 lbs lighter than you, so I would say best bang for your buck is the rocket.

Title: Re: Coreban Rockett review please
Post by: Caribsurf on March 08, 2010, 01:37:28 PM
just back from 3 weeks surfing my Rockett in St.Vincent & Grenadines.  This was the first time I surfed in anything over waist high as previously it was just flat water paddle. I paddled the Rockett on everything from long distant 2 hr paddles to well over head point breaks and reef breaks.  For long distance I loved this board, but for waves of any quality, I would prefer my 9'6" Coreban Performer.  I wish the Rockett had more rocker for those steeper drops...I caught the nose a few times so I found that dropping in on an angle was better suited for this board.  It was very loose for the size, and the side bights held well on late take offs and sideways take offs.  I like this board alot and will continue to use on longer paddling and smaller waves.  On larger waves it turns easier than I would have expected and carves well, but only smaller waves it felt like a tank.

I guess I am so dialed in to my smaller Performer that riding the Rockett was a little disapointing, but it is a good all around board for sure.  I paddled in 20 knot + chop with ease and it is really stable"

raf
www.soposup.com
coreban dealer

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 03:10:23 PM »

It is good to see that you are doing some research BEFORE asking :-)

I've owned a few of the Naish boards. Here is my take: 11'6'' Super ig. Great if you want a family board...

11'4'' Super paddler, traditional longboard style board, really nice flow, but still is pretty agile in the waves. Still easy to paddle. I like this board way better than the 11'6''. Glides well, and turns well. Has nice tapered rails. If you worry about the length, have you checked out the 10'6''? That'll be more of a challenge in the beginning though.

9'5'' mana. I don't really think you'll grow out of it too fast. I think it paddles fine, and I am little heavier than you. There is no really magic board that does everything super well. There are tradeoffs as I am sure you know. If you are really concerned about growing out of it, check out the reviews on the 9'0' mana'. It is a stable board, but it'll take you a little longer to get comfortable on. The 9'5'' is the board my wife uses for flat water paddling...now moving to the 9'0'' actually. She is not into speed paddling but the 9.5 / 9.0 boards are definitely IMO is the best cross over between paddlability and shorter board performance in waves.

In general for glide you need a narrow long board. For surf, something shorter. However as the boards go slimmer, then you also lose stability. So take into consideration the conditions you'll paddle in, and what you prefer to ride in. To say it this way, if you make it a little easier on yourself, then you might grow out of the board at some point (I like this option), of you want to be that guy who sits, falling off etc.

Just take into consideration that you'll want to upgrade at some point anyway. :-)
I'd say looking at the other boards in your collection, you are on the right way...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 05:51:07 AM »
Given your use I'd go with an all around board that has some glide to it. Like you've indicated, I'd be very surprised if in a year or so you aren't thinking about a 2nd board (pure surf) and keeping the 1st for flatwater and to get friends and family out. I don't know many folks that haven't followed that path.
Have you demoed any of the boards you've listed? Doing research and gathering info is great but much of it will go out the window when you step onto the boards. I think you've narrowed down your choices pretty well though...10-6 range seems right. I don't like the startouch padless decks...that may just be me though.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

zacksc

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 10:04:51 AM »
I think the icon is good for small people too. More intermediate then.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal