Author Topic: 3-Piece SUP board  (Read 11298 times)

benthewineguy

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
3-Piece SUP board
« on: February 16, 2011, 06:23:11 AM »
I am looking for a 3-piece SUP board, somehting that will travel easily.  I have seen the Pope Trisect boards, are there any other recommendations out there?  Thanks.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: 3-Piece SUP board
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 07:16:11 AM »
Here's the 2-piece version of the Starboard Blend...

http://blog.surfingsports.com/tag/starboard-transporter-two-piece-sup
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

NickFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 07:47:05 AM »
I tried for a few months to find one and ordered a 3 pc board from Imagine Eco but was refunded after a few months because of manufacturing issues.  I ended up ordering the new Uli 14' board and it is fantastic.  I pump it up to 16-17lbs and cruise along. I'm 220lbs and this thing is solid at 17 lbs. Can fit it into a duffel bag and have 2 werner 3 pc carbon paddles. Much more compact than a hard board for travel/storage in a condo.  I also have a QB kanaha carbon when I don't need to use the 3 pc paddle. 

dogman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 09:45:12 AM »
Be careful if you are considering buying a board from Pope.
There has been a lot of bad feedback from people why tried to buy boards from him
and have had trouble getting the product they have paid for.
I recall one guy from France in particular who had a bit of a nightmare
Stick a search on the internet, and i'm sure you will be able to find negative feedback.

Cheers

Dogman

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 09:53:01 AM »
Ben,
I have a 2 piece (split) Imagine Eco Wave Rocket that works quite well.  The connection system is simple and robust, and when split in two, it's quite compact and easy to transport.  It goes together in just a few minuets, and surfs great.

Pictures from Surfingsports.com website:

More details and photos are here:
http://surfingsports.com/labels/Imagine%20ECO%20SUP%27s.asp

csx355

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 10:52:36 AM »
Hi Ben - welcome to the Zone. Before SUP I had two Pope 2pc Longboards. A 10' Bruce Jones and a 9' Stealth carbon Wayne Rich. The Bruce Jones had the old style fastening system that wound up threaded tension rods, the Wayne Rich used snap locks. I always knew that I was on a 2pc board the WR was very light BUT the movement on the joint even with the massive centre pole was always a worry (and an issue). Lenghthen the board ie. SUP and you increase the levearge and movement on the  joints and IMHO I think that you will increase the joint issues. PLUS you still have to book it on flights as a surfboard, gone are the days when you could blag it on for free AND you can still get ding issues due to heavy handling.

Since Standups arrived I have been travelling with a number of ULI inflatables. They pack away into a case along with all the rest of the kit, travel for free, can not be dinged and  I honestly do not spend all my time wishing that I had brought my hard boards, they are that good and the only people that doubt them are the guys that have not had the pleasure, YET!!

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 09:02:43 PM »
I second you csx... especially the last part.  if you are not a snob, or really-really good, you won't feel the difference. and travel-wise its unbeatable.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 01:05:59 PM »
I can't speak for the Popes, but the connection on the Imagine is very solid and tight.  The tolerances for the 3 carbon fiber rods are very close, and once assembled the board is quite rigid.  I've had mine out in overhead surf, been worked hard and never worried about the connection.

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 06:49:12 PM »
i'll sell you my imagine 3 pc for cheap if your interested, i have to start to thin out the quiver a bit, but its a great board for travel!

it's an 8'6 and has served me well for the last year
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal