Author Topic: Transporting SUP Boards...  (Read 13379 times)

avalonsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Transporting SUP Boards...
« on: February 14, 2011, 12:49:49 PM »
For those who do not live within walking distance to the water....how do you transport your board safely?   I have a 6foot bed on my Dodge Ram pickup....if I have 6 feet of a 12 foot board sticking out for a 2 hour drive to the coast will it be ok?  I would love to hear what others do to get around with your boards.  Thanks

VB

Re: Transporting SUP Boards...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
Just get a truck tail gate pad and strap to lock it down

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 11:01:37 AM »

Well I got a car specifically for getting my SUP in it. I easily fit my 9'6'' inside. If I have a bigger board it goes on my roof rack. I think one of the most important things is to keep the board in a bag (I guess that is why I think it is so nice that the Naish boards comes with bags...). It'll protect it against small rocks on the highway and then I don't ding it if I hit something while moving the board around on land...

For the truck bed I think it probably will be okay, but over time I guess it'll put quite a bit of strain on the board...make sure you one of those tail gate pads. A friend of mine fit his through the back window and lair the board flat on top of the bed...another has the metal framework so the board stays inside it.

csx355

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 11:21:28 AM »
For 'travel' transport just unscrew the cap, press the valve and frighten the crap out of anyone standing nearby as the air rushes out, roll up the board and put it in my suitcase.  ;D For day to day stuff my 9'0 and 9'3 slide in the car easy.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 12:49:24 PM »
A Honda Element will fit a 9'8" inside easily.
My friend can drive around with a Whopper inside his Prius.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 01:07:53 PM »
I have an 11'6" that I put in the back of my truck with a 6 foot box.  You should be fine with an extra 6" sticking out. Get a pad and like someone else mentioned, strap it down and you're good. 

Anyone have experience with racks on a truck canopy? Getting a longer board and want to keep my canopy on my truck.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 02:19:39 PM »
Elements are great  My Honda dealer told me 2011 is their last year....hope not  they are the perfect dog/beach car
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal