Author Topic: Paddle both light weight and flexible  (Read 8522 times)

gibel

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Paddle both light weight and flexible
« on: February 11, 2011, 02:16:20 PM »
Anyone know of a paddle which is both light weight and has a flexible shaft? The full carbon paddles I have come across have very stiff shafts, which is not great if you have a crook shoulder and limited power. The flexible shaft ones, like Naish Carbon/glass paddle or Jimmy Lewis are nice to paddle but tend to be quite heavy. Any thoughts?

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Paddle both light weight and flexible
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 05:53:41 PM »
The Kialoa is the most flexible in my opinion. If you were to try one of their women's models with small blades, you'd probably like it.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:55:27 PM »

DW are there different Kialoa shafts? I have the oval one on two of my paddles, and they are the least flexible I have ever had. I love them, but they don't flax much... :-)

I also have a Naish carbon / kevlar that is more flexible..but not too flexible, I used to have a laird all carbon paddle that ended up being too flexible for me.

Canuck Kook

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:35:40 PM »
Quickblade is now rating their shafts according to stiffness/flex depending on the type of blade. They have a video with Jimmy Terrell explaining it on their website.
12' Starboard Big Easy
10' 5' Starboard Widepoint
14' Starboard Ace Pro
12'6 404 Monster Carbon
12'6 Imagine Rocket
OC Zephyr - Deceased

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 01:03:20 AM »
I haven't found any paddle that is light and flexible. I think to build a paddle really light you pretty much need a prepreg carbon fiber shaft, and that's just not flexible. The JL is the most flexible paddle I've found. If you need the flex for shoulder issues there's just nothing like it, but it's heavier. The only time I use my JL is when my shoulders bother me. It's like Advil in stick form.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

EastFL

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 05:26:23 AM »
My Naish carbon paddle is pretty flexible and has an 8" blade.  Might be worth checking out.  I really like it in the surf, but too much flex for flatwater IMHO. 

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 07:38:44 AM »
I really don't understand why anyone wants flex.  I would posit that your blade face is too large if you feel it too "stiff."   The only rationale I can think of would be a sudden powerup of the blade where you want to spill off power, likea gust of wind and the head of a windsurfing sail twisting.  In flat water, I never encounter a situation like this.  Is this something encountered in surfing?  Other than "it feels better,"  can someone explain to me why anyone wants flex?  Give me stiffer and I'll take it everytime.  (Note I said stiffer, not stiffie...that's the other thread)

bean

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 07:47:54 AM »
Gibel, someone with shoulder issues (like me) may want to also consider some of the lightweight wood paddles from Ernie Johnson, Whiskey jack, Malama and others.  Depending upon what kind of paddling you do, i.e. flat water; you may even want to look at some of the double bend shafts.

I'm currently working on a lightweight 78” birch and western red cedar paddle with an 8" blade that will be about 28oz when completed.  Not light compared to a 21oz Methane paddle but I trust will be easier on my shoulders.   ;D

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 10:32:29 AM »
I really don't understand why anyone wants flex.  I would posit that your blade face is too large if you feel it too "stiff."   The only rationale I can think of would be a sudden powerup of the blade where you want to spill off power, likea gust of wind and the head of a windsurfing sail twisting.  In flat water, I never encounter a situation like this.  Is this something encountered in surfing?  Other than "it feels better,"  can someone explain to me why anyone wants flex?  Give me stiffer and I'll take it everytime.  (Note I said stiffer, not stiffie...that's the other thread)

There are three reasons. Shoulders, shoulders and shoulders.

My second paddle was a Malama which was quite a bit heavier than my other paddle (C4) but infinitely easier on my shoulders. Not sure why, I think it was more vibration damping than flex. The Jimmy Lewis paddles feel very odd when you first start using them, but can actually improve your wave catching ability, especially if you have dodgy shoulders. You reach, pull hard, then wait and it shoots you into the wave like a big rubber band. Obviously it doesn't do anything to increase the power, it probably just evens up the delivery, but after a day in the surf you start to get it, and you start to count on it. Some people won't use anything else. I'm not sure they CAN be broken. I've never seen or heard of one break. When I was falling on my paddles on a daily basis last year trying to perfect a braced top turn the Jimmy was all I had left for awhile, and it withstood some astonishing clumsiness.

My goto paddle for downwind and racing is a QB Elite with a Kanaha blade slightly trimmed. Light as a feather, responsive and quick, and hell on my shoulders. Goto for surfing is a Kialoa. Goto when my beat up shoulders are screaming is a JL.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 11:41:30 AM »
I would say the new Kialoa Pipes & The Naish Alana 7" Not only are these shafts "softer" (a relative term in SUP) But the smaller blades will also keep the Torque off your shoulders
note:
Unlike Windsurfing masts which are also made of Carbon SUP paddles do NOT have a numeric sytem to discribe flex...maybe one day?

The above paddles are/should be available soon if you need help sourcing just pop me a PM

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

Canuck Kook

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 01:15:36 PM »
Unlike Windsurfing masts which are also made of Carbon SUP paddles do NOT have a numeric sytem to discribe flex...maybe one day?

Jim
Quickblade has started top rate the stiffness of their shafts and has created a shaft stiffness index.
http://www.quickbladepaddles.com/youtube-video/zWFp0ivLMQo
12' Starboard Big Easy
10' 5' Starboard Widepoint
14' Starboard Ace Pro
12'6 404 Monster Carbon
12'6 Imagine Rocket
OC Zephyr - Deceased

gibel

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 03:23:26 PM »
The Kialoa is the most flexible in my opinion. If you were to try one of their women's models with small blades, you'd probably like it.

Thanks for that. Looked it up and I think you refer to the Kialoa Pipes which has the right size blade and should be good if the shaft has a bit of flex in it.

gibel

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 05:18:12 PM »
I would say the new Kialoa Pipes & The Naish Alana 7" Not only are these shafts "softer" (a relative term in SUP) But the smaller blades will also keep the Torque off your shoulders
note:

The above paddles are/should be available soon if you need help sourcing just pop me a PM

JimK

Hi Jim,
In your opinion has the Kiaola Pipes more flex than other carbon paddles? I live in Auckland New Zealand and I am not sure if the Kiaola paddles are available here. Wonder how The Pipes would compare with a carbon Quickblade Kanaha 90 with a 36 ssi shaft which appears to be the most flexible of their carbon shafts? I guess they might be fairly similar.

gibel

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 05:22:34 PM »
note:

JimK

Forgot to mention that I paddle mostly in flat water and mainly use a Naish 7" Carbon/Glass paddle wiht the smaller diameter shaft which is great. I think it is a very nice paddle but it is quite heavy. Would love to find one with the same characteristics but lighter.
Hi Jim,
In your opinion has the Kiaola Pipes more flex than other carbon paddles? I live in Auckland New Zealand and I am not sure if the Kiaola paddles are available here. Wonder how The Pipes would compare with a carbon Quickblade Kanaha 90 with a 36 ssi shaft which appears to be the most flexible of their carbon shafts? I guess they might be fairly similar.

gibel

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 05:37:37 PM »

There are three reasons. Shoulders, shoulders and shoulders.

My second paddle was a Malama which was quite a bit heavier than my other paddle (C4) but infinitely easier on my shoulders. Not sure why, I think it was more vibration damping than flex. The Jimmy Lewis paddles feel very odd when you first start using them, but can actually improve your wave catching ability, especially if you have dodgy shoulders. You reach, pull hard, then wait and it shoots you into the wave like a big rubber band. Obviously it doesn't do anything to increase the power, it probably just evens up the delivery, but after a day in the surf you start to get it, and you start to count on it. Some people won't use anything else. I'm not sure they CAN be broken. I've never seen or heard of one break. When I was falling on my paddles on a daily basis last year trying to perfect a braced top turn the Jimmy was all I had left for awhile, and it withstood some astonishing clumsiness.

My goto paddle for downwind and racing is a QB Elite with a Kanaha blade slightly trimmed. Light as a feather, responsive and quick, and hell on my shoulders. Goto for surfing is a Kialoa. Goto when my beat up shoulders are screaming is a JL.

Hi Bill
Thanks for that very useful information. I understand that if you are a big strong guy with a big blade you can make even a stiff shaft flex nicely, but with a small blade and less power in the stroke it will feel like a log (same deal as with the shafts in golf clubs). I have a JL paddle and like the flex but it is just too heavy. Wonder if the Quickblade Kanaha 90 with 36 ssi shaft is comparable with the Kiaola Pipes. I see you have experience with all 3 brands and would value your opinion. Love my small Naish with a nice small diameter shaft, but its pretty heavy compared with the qb's for example.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill