Author Topic: What to do. Advice for the rental places?  (Read 6284 times)

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
What to do. Advice for the rental places?
« on: February 09, 2011, 03:57:46 PM »
TL;DR:
Rental places needs to provide their customers with mandatory instruction / lesson. What can we do to help get this started?

In light of the elbowing happening in the line up right now, I have noticed that the rental places provide little to no hints for people on how to use the gear they rent. Sure you can take lessons, but you do not HAVE to.

Today was another day where I'm sitting on the shoulder, and these people that obviously have not done a lot of paddling comes towards the lineup (sitting in various positions on the board...paddle the wrong way...falling and just in general closing the wave to people.

So I paddle over and contact them..and ask how much paddling they've done..how much instruction they've gotten and if they know and understand the "rules" in the lineup (obviously I do this with a smile). They've gotten nothing. So I ask if they want to go with me over to another break where nobody is at....it was shitty there, but at least there'd be no confrontation. After I gave up my session one of them thanked me by blocking the boat channel for 10 minutes while trying to paddle against the wind..I paddle over and ask if she realized that she was blocking the boat upon which she answers "tough luck". I dunno..yuck.

In any case, if we'll ever negotiate a successful transition into full acceptance, shops absolutely have to take their responsibility seriously. You cannot just rent out boards and think it is out of your hands. The shops are MAJOR stakeholders, and they have to take that responsibility seriously. I really think the shops should force a lesson on anyone who wants to rent a board.

Now to the more constructive part of the post: What can we provide the shops with in terms of lesson plans?

I have my thoughts but would like to hear your input too.
I'm thinking a lesson plan, maybe some vids they can download for free.

Anyways, let me hear your thoughts.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 04:25:09 PM by tautologies »

bean

Re: What to do. Advice for the rental places?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 05:01:55 PM »
"Force a lesson"?   Say it ain't so... But I do like your witness relocation approach to getting them out of the lineup! ;D

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 05:04:12 PM »
Tautologies--the place I got my kayaks has classes, clinics, etc. all the time.  Before they will rent a kayak to anyone, you have to either have taken their one-day, introductory skills class, or show you have the equivalent knowledge.  It seems like a good deal all around.  Besides protecting the renters and people around them in the water, it helps protect the rental gear.  The kayak shop also makes money from the lessons.  

If people are made aware that there are skills and knowledge needed before you take a kayak or SUP out, most will want to get those skills, and would welcome a reasonably-priced lesson.  Then, when they do go out, they have a better experience, and are more likely to come back and rent again, or buy some gear.  At least that's what I think as a non-shop-owner.  

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 05:11:15 PM »
"Force a lesson"?   Say it ain't so... But I do like your witness relocation approach to getting them out of the lineup! ;D

Haha. I think the problem is that I am not willing to give up every session because I want to shield beginners from a line up they should not be in :-)

On Oahu, you cannot rent kite gear. You can take lessons, but not just straight up rent gear. I think, especially the rental boards (big, heavy) have enough destructive power to warrant someone needing a little instruction on how to use them.

I'm obviously not talking about experienced SUPers. I am talking absolute beginners. If you rent kayaks in Kailua you have to watch a short instructional video. I really do not have a good answer to what but I definitely think it should be up for discussion. I really think something can be done to help make the first experience for the beginners easier and better. Just 5 mins would make it so much easier for the beginners to understand how to make their session a little better. It would also make it safer for everyone, and the it could have the potential to minimize confrontation...  

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 05:43:01 PM »
If you can find out who the rental place is, you might give them a call.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 05:48:27 PM »
If you can find out who the rental place is, you might give them a call.

I know which rental place. I am thinking more in general. I bet there are more rental places than one that doesn't really give a good intro ti beginners :-)

bean

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 07:23:54 PM »
This is a difficult proposition because we could then be misconstrued as suggesting that SUP boards are a greater threat to safety than say shortboards or even longboards?

Don't get me wrong, I am totaly in favor of educating "all" surfers about safety and etiquette.  And I beleive that if we do not regulate ourselves, we will surely be regulated by others. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 07:38:03 PM »
I don't think it's very difficult, I wonder how the kite shops all seem to get it right. You still can't rent kite gear, you have to take lessons or buy it. No question that an idiot with a kite and no training is going to be a danger to everyone and themselves. SUPs are certainly not that dangerous, but any board can be when it's in a place the rider shouldn't be.

I think the shops are missing a big opportunity. Require some kind of indication of competence or take a lesson. Really if the lesson aspect was sold properly there would be a lot more rentals, not less. People are intimidated by the whole idea of getting on a SUP.

How to get that going--not sure.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 08:33:11 PM »
This is a difficult proposition because we could then be misconstrued as suggesting that SUP boards are a greater threat to safety than say shortboards or even longboards? .  

Ditto.

Do you want to look at SUP rentals the same as a small craft rental (canoe, paddle boat, kayak)?  Maybe so.  Most (responsible) recreational boat rentals require you to stay within a designated area, wear a PFD, sign a waiver, they have liability insurance, etc, etc.   Maybe they treat SUP the same as renting a surfboard...take the money, have fun, damage it you pay.  This can get as complicated as people want to make it.

I've said this before - is there really that many people out there "endangering lives"?  Any more than people who are learning to longboard?  I'm not seeing it.  Sure, occasionally someone probably paddles into an area that is beyond there skill level, but how often is this going on?  How many people is this percentage wise?  My bet is not many.  I could surf before I started standup and I went to a beginner break and spent half my time falling...barely getting to even attempt to drop in on a wave.  I was a hazard to myself.  Guess what, eventually I was going to drop in.  I did, and it wasn't pretty and I sucked.  The same as when I was learning to surf years ago. Should I been required to have a lesson or get a license?  I don't thing so.

No personal attack here. Its just that I think much of the brouhaha of late is exaggerated.  :ets get back to fighting with the Coast Guard so we can keep our right to surf with a paddle.

MountainMan

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 09:17:39 PM »
Tautologies,
     Great discussion topic and I applaud the approach that you took with the beginners you encountered.  I agree with you that it would be best if SUP rental operations took more responsibility for educating their clientele on the proper use of the equipment.  However, I'm not sure how to make that happen without enacting some regulations, which I am definitely NOT for.  Unfortunately, as I see more and more SUP shops and rental operations popping up almost overnight, things might get worse before they get better.
     One thing that we can all do, is do exactly what you did with those beginners.  Every time I paddle at Ala Moana I see absolute beginners out for their first time.  When I see them struggling because of improper stance or holding their paddle all wrong, I try to pass along a few helpful tips.  As long as you offer the advice in a friendly manner, it's usually fairly well received.
     We can all be ambassadors for the sport, every time we go out paddling.  "Bean" hit it on the head when he said, "if we do not regulate ourselves, we will surely be regulated by others".  So let's all spread the stoke, and some good advice at the same time.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 10:24:26 PM »
I don't see any need for or benefit from regulations.  My view is that there are tons of people who'd like to try SUPs, and given a choice, many would rather start with a lesson rather than just going in and renting gear.  

SUPs are beguiling but intimidating to most people.  So are surf shops.  But if people see a notice for a "SUP Demo Day" where anyone with no experience can come out and see the gear and ask questions and try it out, that can get them over the fear threshold.   Then most are happy to find out that next they can sign up for a clinic so they don't have to just wade out into the surf on their own.  A huge number of these people are women, or men who've never done any water sports, and aren't likely to walk into a shop and rent gear cold.

I think that's why kayaking has gotten so mainstream around here.  People start by going to a demo day, then maybe a basic skills class.  Then they just keep on going--advanced paddling technique, rolling practice, ocean day clinics, then three-day guided paddles, and so on.  Nobody is regulating any of this--the shops just figured out that either they can make money off of all of it, or maybe the lessons lose money, but they're renting and selling enough gear to justify the effort.  

The same is true of almost any activity--the places that make money off of renting or selling stuff sponsor classes, clinics, etc. to get people over the initial hurdle of walking into the door, without any law requiring that.

This isn't to say there won't still be people who rent with no experience, just that I think it's inevitable that more shops will start offering and encouraging lessons.  

beaglebuddy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 11:38:28 PM »
Not saying I'm for or against this just relating that I remember back in the day in the 1980's I took a windsurfing lesson and received a license from Mistral to rent equipment.
They say that it's not the beginners or the real experienced pilots that crash airplanes, it the intermediates that have gained a bit of experience and become real brave.
Same could be said here, the raw beginners are at the shore break but after they can paddle a bit perhaps they venture out to the point where they may become an annoyance to some.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 11:57:19 PM »

I do not suggest it being regulated, but we as a community have a lot of power. What I suggest is that we come up with some sort of free curriculum written + video and then we use our community to just make sure shops and rental places know about it.

A lot of what we get done in the kiting community is based on voluntary participation. I do think there is an opportunity for shops to earn extra and have safer rentals..it'll make the session more enjoyable for the beginners and for people around them.

Actually I think a program like that would be as enjoyable for the people renting the gear...as most of the people I see are sitting on the board, constantly falling off, paddle wrong way due to small technique errors...

:-)

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 12:49:57 AM »
A introductory video is a good idea.  I own two shops in Honolulu and we rent quite a few SUP's.  We offer free monthly clinics and demos where we have a safetey briefing, introductory lesson and advanced technique clinics.  We also give advice to first timers in the shop and go over a pretty extensive rental form with them.  We ask them not to go in the surf and practice in flat water the first few times.  Unfortunately, despite all this, some just don't listen and head straight for the waves and become a danger to themselves and others. 
I guess I headed straight for the waves, too, the first time I got on an SUP but at least I went to an empty break to kook out long enough to figure out I had to learn to control the board before trying to catch any waves.
A required video is a great idea although unfortunately it still does not guarantee that the renter will act resposibly.

Tautologies, I would be happy to work with you (and any other Zoners interested) to make a short video to play to rental customers and distribute it at no cost to other shops.   I think it should stress the advantages of learning the basics in flat water before attempting to catch any waves. Maybe we can collect some input here on what should be included in the video.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 11:04:55 AM »
A introductory video is a good idea.  I own two shops in Honolulu and we rent quite a few SUP's.  We offer free monthly clinics and demos where we have a safetey briefing, introductory lesson and advanced technique clinics.  We also give advice to first timers in the shop and go over a pretty extensive rental form with them.  We ask them not to go in the surf and practice in flat water the first few times.  Unfortunately, despite all this, some just don't listen and head straight for the waves and become a danger to themselves and others. 
I guess I headed straight for the waves, too, the first time I got on an SUP but at least I went to an empty break to kook out long enough to figure out I had to learn to control the board before trying to catch any waves.
A required video is a great idea although unfortunately it still does not guarantee that the renter will act resposibly.

Tautologies, I would be happy to work with you (and any other Zoners interested) to make a short video to play to rental customers and distribute it at no cost to other shops.   I think it should stress the advantages of learning the basics in flat water before attempting to catch any waves. Maybe we can collect some input here on what should be included in the video.

Yeah there is always the danger that the customers does not listen..that is really not much one can do anything about, but at least then it is out of your hands.

..but this is exactly what I would like to see the community come up with. A short curriculum that can be distributed to shops. People could also just down load it from the web and use at will.

PS. I got a 5'11 Kane Garden from you Kapahulu shop last week..I should gotten the 6'2'' hehe oh well. Still eying the big Hynsons... :-)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal