Author Topic: Admunson  (Read 3272 times)

wavehobbit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Admunson
« on: March 10, 2008, 03:25:09 PM »
Anybody had a chance to take the Admunson for a spin.  I have a JL but looking for something to pop the sail on every now and then.  In the shop I like the very thin rails.......looks like it might be a good surfer

hilton

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Admunson
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 04:41:55 PM »
I just got the Amundson 11'3", but haven't taken it in the surf yet.
I saw it next to the Naish 11'6" in the shop, and the Naish was much thicker.
The thin rails are what sold me (and the price, durability, full EVA deck, mast track, etc.).
I have taken it on some flat water paddles, and it floats me just fine (195lbs).
It is very stable and tracks well.

I wish I lived closer to the ocean, but realistically figure I'll use it 70% on flatwater with a paddle, 20% with a sail (choppy water), and just a few times a year in the ocean.  I suspect it will surf just fine for me in small waves.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 05:57:35 PM »
We tested the Amundsen in the showcase (www.kenalu.com and click on the showcase tab) and it was a sleeper. It was so plain looking that the only people that tried it were the ones assigned to it, but most of them said "surfs better than I expected" and other surprised comments like that.

any manufacturer that isn't paying attention to how their board looks is asleep at the switch. the Ben Aipa was a very challenging board--it surfed like a shortboard and was pretty tippy. But it's beautiful to look at. we had eighteen completed evaluations for that board. By comparison we had four for the Amundsen.

The other big deal is "easy to carry". If a manufacturer put a carry strap on their board they'd sell a zillion until everyone copied them.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 06:33:22 PM »
I tried the Amundsen twice at the showcase. Other than its plain looks its a nice board. Floated me OK as a 260 lb beginner. Surfed similar to other boards its size. The full pad is nice and the rail protection is good. Looks like it would take a beating better than most. The carry handle is a big help. I expect you'll see a lot of these in rental fleets if the price point is good.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 11:01:54 PM »
. the Ben Aipa was a very challenging board--it surfed like a shortboard and was pretty tippy. But it's beautiful to look at. we had eighteen completed evaluations for that board. By comparison we had four for the Amundsen.

thats interesting....ive been wanting to try the ben aipa board...along with a PSH...Joe Blair...etc...all the Aipa board color schemes are by far the best to look at i think...

what happened to it after the test??...did you send it back to BEN?....or did somebody on Maui own it already??

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 11:37:38 PM »
a guy on Maui bought it, and i think he bought two other boards. Of the fifty boards we tested, ONE went back--the short Ben Aipa. Most of the rest would up in rental fleets--mostly at Hawaiian Island and Hitech. People loved the little Ben Aipa, but it was way too challenging to go to a rental fleet.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 10:09:19 AM »
thanks... thats interesting...i think i mightwant to have a go at it too... ;D

wavehobbit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 08:00:18 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.........going back to the shop to weigh it and measure the rocker ect........but I think it will be my sup/ws board and I'll have the JL Surf for the better days......

hilton

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 08:36:19 PM »
I got to sail the Amundson yesterday with a 5.8 in 10-20mph winds.
It was more fun than I expected.  The board would get up and plane with pretty good speed in the gusts.  In the lulls, it would still glide along without the awkward schlogging of a shortboard.  I could even feel it wanting to surf down some of the bigger wind swell/chop.  After the wind dropped and the kiters and formula sailors had given up, I was still able to cruise home with some gentle pumping of the sail.  It worked well to be "paddling" with the sail in 5-10mph winds.

wavehobbit

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 06:48:00 PM »
Thanks for turning me on to the test results......really helped....
Went w/ the JL 10'8" and later this summer will pick up the SB 12'6" for those knee high days and long paddles....plus some windsurfing....
Got to put my hands on the Admunson in the local shop and your right..needs some serious artwork.....Still would be a great one for all do it all board for newbies though........

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut