Author Topic: sprained mcl coming out of a wave, crap!  (Read 12473 times)

adidasonmyfeat

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
sprained mcl coming out of a wave, crap!
« on: February 08, 2011, 06:14:09 AM »
anyone know the recovery time?  I was trying to turn my board out of a wave and the board kept going leftand I went right and bam! my left knee popped.  Got a scope and evrything else is ok but the mcl sprain.  It is the most friggen pain I have ever felt the day after.  doc has me wearing a brace and doing exercises, he says maybe I can ski mid march with a brace.  anyone got any tips to speed up recovery.

iopsailor

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: sprained mcl coming out of a wave, crap!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 07:13:46 AM »

I came back from a torn meniscus and ACL injury after ditching the prescribed PT because of logistics and started riding my bicycle every morning before work.  I don't remember how long it took but you'll know when you're ready for skiing or paddling.  I would guess ANY non-impact exercise like biking or swimming would work.  Good luck!

joeag

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 12:05:44 PM »
MCL's are not too bad, at least they don't need surgery like ACL's.  I had a grade 3 full tear and wore a brace for about 8 weeks if I remember correctly.  Depending on the severity I bet you could flatwater paddle in a month and that would also be great PT to rehab.

I did a lot of exercises with an exercise band around my ankle - turn foot in and out, also around lower leg and adduction and abduction exercises. But take your time, or you can re-injure and set yourself back!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 12:40:58 PM »
Tore my MCL falling off my downwind raceboard in a cross wind. I've learned to wait until my back is to the wind before standing.

I was back surfing within two weeks, even though I could barely walk. Everyone told me it would take 6 months or more before it would be 100%. They were right. No point in stopping your surfing. My knee could bend halfway and felt stable side to side, so I kept surfing.

I went through a few knee braces. I duct taped them on tight as hell when I was surfing. So tight it hurt, but that seemed best at preventing re-injury, which I did a few times. The tape gets loose surfing anyway.

My wife was nursing a sore back. I finally convinced her to stop listening to the doctors and go surf. She feels a lot better now that she is surfing again. The doctor's rehab program doesn't compare to surfing.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 05:32:08 PM »
Super MCL strain trying to save a floater... Hurt like a beeeatch for three months... wore a brace surfing... had a tough time running at BOP... lost water time:   none.

Standup seemed to strengthen it.

Ice every night...

Good luck!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 10:14:17 PM »
Me too. The docs and PTs all say "stay off it" but I have my doubts. If I sidelined for every injury I'd never do anything. I have a brace, and I wear it some, but mostly I just carry on. I find it hurts more when I'm just doing ordinary stuff. Sitting around lets it stiffen up and then it pops and cracks when I move. Standup keeps it loose, though I probably made it worse a couple times. I'm trying different braces. So far the winner is the simplest one with pieces of hard plastic along the joint. I pull it pretty tight when I'm walking around but run it kind of looser when I'm surfing.

Bottom line, if you can do it with a brace on, do it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

adidasonmyfeat

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 06:54:14 AM »
thanks pono, so it's ok to get the brace wet

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 08:22:33 AM »
Doesn't seem to hurt the one I'm using. Rinse it with fresh water and let it dry or it will smell pretty bad.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: sprained mcl coming out of (scratching over) a wave, crap!
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 05:18:06 PM »
anyone know the recovery time?  I was trying to turn my board out of a wave and the board kept going leftand I went right and bam! my left knee popped.  Got a scope and evrything else is ok but the mcl sprain.  It is the most friggen pain I have ever felt the day after.  doc has me wearing a brace and doing exercises, he says maybe I can ski mid march with a brace.  anyone got any tips to speed up recovery.

Sprained my left knee Saturday when trying to scratch over a 2-3' breaking wave in stand up surfing stance...probably had the forward left leg too heavily loaded (didn't want the board back in my face)...be careful when scratching over waves standing up, it can be tough on the knee!

MAX

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 09:15:21 PM »
Tore my MCL and meniscus windsurfing on a botched forward loop.  Couldn't get my feet out of the straps in time.  I remember the recovery being 4-5 months  until I could sail and surf again.  Constant rehab, bicycling mostly for range of motion.

It's been 11 years since the injury and only thing that bothers my knee is playing tennis and the Cape Cod Bay Challenge, 12 hrs standing on a board is too much.  I wear a knee brace for both.
Good luck and stay positive and keep up the rehab....You'll be back on a board in no time
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

maxsonic

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 05:18:31 PM »
I wear a knee brace for both.
Good luck and stay positive and keep up the rehab....You'll be back on a board in no time

Last night I ordered a McDavid Level 2 Brace from Amazon...Amazon Prime had it at my doorstep when I got home from work today!  This McDavid looks like it should work well for use on the water, gonna get back out there soon.
http://www.amazon.com/McDavid-Ligament-Support-Black-Large/dp/B000UVUC1G/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1406679406&sr=1-2

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 08:44:34 PM »
Looks like a good choice for a brace and certainly a good price.  I got my brace  years ago through the rehab center and paid ALOT more than that one.  Mine has more of a mechanical hinge that supports the knee which is one reason it was so expensive

Good luck
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal