Author Topic: Maui downwinder rentals & guides / lessons?  (Read 4769 times)

gr8laker

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Maui downwinder rentals & guides / lessons?
« on: February 08, 2011, 05:35:50 AM »
I'm fortunate enough to be heading to Maui for my first time in a couple weeks.  My Dad and I have SUP surfed the great lakes a few years now, so we've got some good experience in 20-30 mph winds & choppy water (big waves need big wind here).  Working towards a 40 mile paddle this summer for a charity event here, so I'm not opposed to some hard work and distance.  I plan to SUP every moment I can, mainly riding waves - but I'd like to at least see how easy/hard it would be to get out for a proper downwinder.. Maliko run maybe?

Any recommendations on rentals & guides/lessons for this?  I don't want to bite off more than I can chew when I can be out chasing the perfect wave, but it would be great to mix it up.  My Dad's especially stoked about the idea, it'd be nice to head over there in the know.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 05:41:41 AM by gr8laker »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Maui downwinder rentals & guides / lessons?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 08:41:48 AM »
There's a Naish Glide I see for rent pretty often in Kihei, not sure of the name of the rental place but they stick it up outside next to their other rentals. As far as lessons goes. I don't know of any. Stay in touch when you get here and if conditions enable we'll bring you along, in the winter there's often a big north swell and that no one's going to want to take you when that's going on--just too spooky. Even the experts are nervous and guys like me at taking lines that go three miles out to avoid getting slammed. Understand that folks won't baby you much, but they'll give you pointers and show you the safe line.

Sooner or later there will be someone guiding people, Maliko runs are so much fun and the word is certainly out there.

There's a shuttle service for Maliko runs--Moore Watertime--Give Kelly Moore a call and you can leave your rig at the harbor and she takes you and your gear to Maliko. Great convenience--808-250-1984

Southside runs are great fun when the wind angle is right.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

gr8laker

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 09:00:03 AM »
Thank you PB!  Very helpful info, and it would be great to connect up for a run if things all line up properly.  I don't think we'll need babying, I just want to be safe and have confidence out there so I can enjoy it!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 09:20:51 AM »
I'll echo what PB wrote, although I have guided many people down the coast as a lesson.  Like he said, IF there is not a huge swell then it's something I'll do but the consequences of someone screwing up in large surf is more risk than I like to take on.  But if it's reasonable I can take you.  Like PB wrote if you're just going along as a friend then there might be a friendly word or two about what to do and then everyone takes off at their own pace.  But if you want to hire me, I'll stick with you the whole way.  I also have two fast boards that are fixed fins that are just under 15'.    So if you're interested let me know.

MightyO

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 11:00:20 AM »
The Naish Demo Center (Next to Second Wind) on the Hana Highway in Kahului rents Glides by the day or week. The Maliko run might be a bit much right away. Consider first running Kihei bay from   Sugar beach south to Kalama, Kamaole, or Makena landing. The swells here will be more wind whipped from a short fetch and much more like what your used to, but still be really fun. Also, the distance offshore here won't be as intimidating as Maliko. There are a few small surf breaks along the way, too. After a couple days of that, Maliko on a mellow day with help from someone like headmount should be great.
\ooo/

gr8laker

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 11:11:58 AM »
Headmount, thanks.  I'll consult with pops and see what's up.. I have a hunch he'll be inclined to have a guide - he's more wise than I.

MightyO, thank you also!  I'll scope out those routes.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 11:16:59 AM »
You couldn't pick a better guide than Bill (headmount) and he can shoot some pics of you as you go. I also like his boards.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

gr8laker

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 10:37:40 AM »
2 Days!  So goddamn, unbelievably pumped.. going a pool later to swim laps after I get some work done - only chance of getting some sleep is if I wear myself out.

I'll be riding waves every day, look for my Dad and I out on some rental Naish boards.  I have hair, he doesn't - how could you miss us? 

Any cool stuff happening on Maui over the next two weeks to check out? Anyone want to show us the ropes at some breaks?

Cheers
Elliot

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 10:51:39 AM »
Give a yell when you get here Elliot. You can PM me through the Zone and I'll send you my email and cell number. You'll probably want to hook up with Bill Boyum the same way. He's a great downwinder guide for Maliko--not many folks have been doing it longer, and I don't think anyone does it as often. He knows all the tricks and all the reefs. My only trick is paddle out until land is just a little smudge on the horizon, then go. My patented absolute chicken line. And I still get into trouble.

The first few days of your vacation the surf and wind are likely to suck big time. We're looking at the smallest swell we've seen all winter for the next few days, but that means a few spots that might normally kick your ass could be just right.

Looking out my window I see whitecaps that aren't supposed to be there today, there's a low parked off Kuai that supposed to block the trades for the next few days. But Maui wind is just as easy to predict with chicken bones as satellites, so there could be something. If the wind comes up and the swell stays down there might be an opportunity for a few 101-level Malikos, which are wonderful, but very rare in the winter. Usually it's postgrad stuff.

If nothing else it will give you a chance to get out on the water and get your sea legs before the big fun starts.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal