Author Topic: How are you getting Primal?  (Read 217038 times)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How are you getting Primal?
« Reply #720 on: July 11, 2014, 08:17:38 PM »
So this is one of my favorite paleo meals.

it is called a taco scramble

1 pound ground beef (or turkey, pork, venison, bison, etc)
2 medium yellow onions
2 bell peppers (any color)
2 medium squash or zucchini
1 large hand-full of fresh spinach (2-3 ounces)

and this is my wires favorite one right now.

http://paleoleap.com/taco-pie/

I have been going threw different several different protein powders. I started off with muscle milk, then isopure. I am going to try gabby and lairds truition products next. has anyone used any of there stuff yet?
If you take that first recipe, swap some mushrooms for the squash, and add a bunch more spinach, 8-12 eggs and some (ok probably not paleo) parmesan cheese and/or sour cream, you've got my favorite--Joe's Special. 

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: August 22, 2014, 10:36:22 AM »
Basically, we'd had enough of being to much.

Wife and I both went paleo 3 weeks ago, and added in an hour plus of work out in the evenings.  Sedentary lifestyle with carbs is a two headed beast that won't let you out unless you make a plan and go.  We mix biking hills, stair climbing and push ups, and fast long walks in the days we're not surfing.  Friday's are our semi cheat days, maintaining the diet but having a drink or two.  Wife was in better endurance shape when we started but I can tell I'm starting to come around.

Started at near 260# and nearing day 21, I'm at 244# and mostly on the agressive track I've put myself on.  She's down 10 lbs already, which is way ahead of schedule for a 6 month plan. 

For me the hardest part and the one that all the momentum is found on the other side of was to decide that there are things I just don't eat.

Just wanted to thank Creek, Deb and Wardog, and the many others I've gathered info from to make this happen.  I've had success with Adkins before, but this is more of a permanent change.  Less sitting, carb removal to the degree practical, get a sweat going each day.  It's working so far.

supthecreek

« Reply #722 on: August 22, 2014, 01:20:22 PM »
Yeaaaah  Slatch.... that is such great news ;D ;D ;D

I am so psyched for you folks!

Couple of bummers though....

Your gonna have to get smaller boards and save extra $$$ for a longer retirement  ;D

Atkin's is a weight loss program... Paleo is a lifestyle. Primal living is one where you are more concerned about food source... you want to find foods that DO something for you... like spinach instead of iceburg.
Grass fed instead of Grain fattened, pumped with antibiotics and hormones.

oh yeah....  you're gonna need new clothes.

PM me with any questions or cool stories

I don't feel like I have given up anything... except being fat.

wideload

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: August 26, 2014, 02:54:14 PM »
I'm a guy who has been lurking on this site for 4 or 5 years.  I mainly look at videos(surfcook and supthacreek are two of my fav's).  I noticed creek posted on this primal thread, so I checked it out.  I stayed up all night and read every post....blown away!

Even though I didn't think it was possible, I got back into surfing 2 yrs ago with a Joe Blair sup(miracles do happen!).

3 weeks ago, at 45 yrs old, 6' tall, 433 lbs with gout, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, I knew I had to do something.  I drank only water, and ate only vegetables, chicken,fish, and beef.  After losing 17 lbs in 3 wks, I stumbled onto this thread.....thanks creek!....

With all of this inspiration and knowledge, I will move toward this primal lifestyle.  Thanks to everyone, especially SEA and creek!  I will let you know how Journey goes.

wideload

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: August 26, 2014, 02:58:49 PM »
Way to go wide. Seriously, it's a big step to retaking your health. The willingness to change does not come from rainbows and unicorns so I applaud you. Good luck on this journey.
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: August 26, 2014, 05:53:29 PM »
Good for you.

supthecreek

« Reply #726 on: August 27, 2014, 12:47:00 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Go wideload...go!
Just be prepared to change your name in 6 months.

So stoked.... by the way...

This is not your usual "Diet"..... being 70% primal does very little. Being 100% primal is astounding how fast and easy it is.

Primal is a lifestyle that removes ALL the additives and grains from your food. It is the GMO's, pesticides, antibiotics and grains that confuse your body because it doesn't recognize them.

You don't see results from being "sorta primal" because the bad stuff is still going into your liver, kidneys and digestive track. It's like speaking Chinese to your kids and expecting them to do what you tell them.

Bite the bullet... pick stuff you like and stick with that till you find more goodies.
I saw such an effortless weight loss that it stoked my interest more every day
I started looking at food like this
"and what can you DO for me?"
I researched food, including my spices and found out some surprising stuff, like celery seed (salads) and Dill Weed (eggs & salads) are like super foods... who knew? Organic spices only.... one name ie: "Dill Weed" not "dill weed, preservatives, sugar, monosodium glutamate" ...yada yada

Almond butter instead of Peanut Butter (plain AB... no added sugar or salt)
Butternut squash instead of potatoes (use grass feb butter sparingly if you like)
Grass fed beef instead of low fat beef
Organic Chicken instead of Perdu
Walnuts and blueberries as snacks
In salads I let the ingredients make the dressing
Avocado's, Goat cheese, Kumatoes, blueberries, onions... when I chop it all up it makes a nice creamy dressing.
Limit sugars... even from fresh fruit.

Go big... get small  ;D

wideload

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: October 13, 2014, 07:50:05 PM »
Thanks for the support guys.  I have hit 395.  I am now surfing 3 times a week.  I seem to be stuck @ this weight for a week now.(no more drinking during football for me) 

supthecreek

« Reply #728 on: October 13, 2014, 10:26:37 PM »
Nice work wideguy....

drinking usually involves lots of sugar... followed by lots of snacks.... at least that's how it works with me.... all of a sudden, you're not primal anymore.
Primal works..... sugar... not so much.

Keep up the surfing... and add in some flat-water paddling... I found that had a better effect on my weight loss, plus I find I simply love the extra time on the water.

eastbound

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 03, 2014, 09:32:49 AM »
i eat the creek diet, but dont call it primal--same shit tho--exception: i eat all nuts (incl peanuts), including tons of nut butters, all organic with zero additives--simply ground nuts---recent longevity studies show that those for whom nuts are a key source of protein live longer.

wideload--hang in there--if you feel risk of wavering, pm me or just about anyone here for a stoke renewal

best luck to you--you can do this--great that you have mixed sup'ing in--when a discipline makes a favorite activity go better, it's easier to stay with the discipline--you get tangible results--you get better at sup'ing

Portal Barra 8'4"
Sunova Creek 8'7"
Starboard Pro Blue Carbon  8'10"
KeNalu Mana 82, xTuf, ergoT

supthecreek

« Reply #730 on: November 03, 2014, 02:08:35 PM »
I frickin' love nuts... I could live on them, if I could afford them. I love peanut butter, but stick to almond and cashew butter... except I can't afford them   :D Now I want to run out and buy some. I'll have a few handfuls of walnuts instead  ???

I added stuff to gain some weight and I did. And I kept eating it. And now I am 15 lbs over where I want to be. 15 ugly belly pounds. I have to get back to basics. Soon. Now  :-\

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 20, 2014, 02:09:35 AM »
Yo creek !!  just go hard core buddy ,  keep under fifty carbs per day and in a few weeks you'll be back below that fifteen you want to lose. This lifestyle is so cool :) if your surfing a lot and paddling little bit of sweet potato every once in a while will keep your energy level up.

My wife and I had a little boy 4 months ago and I have not gotten in the water or trained for at least 4 months but I am still 185 and holding for the last 3 years . I go down to 178  and up to 188 but basically at 185 and 32 waist. I am 53 years old and LOVING being a dad again , Paleo has allowed me to be up to the task of raising a little guy !!  I have forgotten how much work it is but it is but SO COOL !!

I recently started eating 1 tablespoon of organic honey and one teaspoon of organic cinnamon in my protein shake in the AM , after 2 weeks my weight has not changed and my energy level is JACKED ... who woulda thunk ??  This is by far the best lifestyle I have come across and it becomes second nature quite quickly.

I applaude those who have made the leap like Creek. And all the others , wide load you are my hero for making the decision to change. My new motto is "live with intention and not habitually" that is the paleo lifestyle. In a year you'll be 250 and shredding those waves in two years you'll be feeling like a youngster again . Just enjoy the ride and don't beat yourself up to bad when you hiccup :). learn as much as you can about this way of life and start making a book of all the paleo recipes you like and what works for you this will be a huge foundation for you.

Just go back to basics like creek said and get back on the program. stay between 50 and a hundred grams of good carbs a day , stay away from too much fruit and make sure 60 percent of dietary intake is good fats .. coconut oil, avocados, some nuts ( not too much when trying to lose weight) and lots of grass fed beef and wild salmon :) don't forget the BIG ASS salads to fill you up and give you good carbs. Long paddles on flat water or the ocean and long walks on land. Body weight exercises and you'll be surprised how fast the weight goes down and energy goes UP.

PM me wide load if you need any advice or help. You can do this !! it's a piece of cake ... no pun intended.

Aloha boys

SEA

supthecreek

« Reply #732 on: December 20, 2014, 09:21:59 AM »
Hey SEA... congratulations Dad!!!! Old fathers raise great kids ;D
Enjoy the heck out of your baby boy, you'll be SUPing with him soon.

I'm 66 and my youngest daughter just graduated high school, couldn't be happier with both my girls ;D ;D

Thanks for your support as always my friend....I posted an update on the "healthy in old age" thread a moment ago, so I won't double up here.

Babies first Christmas.... yaaaahoo!

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: December 20, 2014, 01:58:37 PM »
SEA and Creek--you guys are inspirations, and I've learned a lot from both of you.  SEA, glad to see you back here and congratulations.

Hodad

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: January 13, 2015, 09:33:29 PM »
Sea, good to see you back and congrats on the new kid!!!  I went primal when I first joined the forum a long time ago under a different name, but stopped due to lack of support(or just not following it), but the wife started a fitness plan in august and we got back on it and are doing amazing.  I haven't had much change in the scale, but way more muscle and definition, which is what I'm going after anyway.  Dropped two pants sizes also.  Love this plan and it works great with the surfing life.
Nobody listens to Turtle.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal