Author Topic: How are you getting Primal?  (Read 217515 times)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
How are you getting Primal?
« on: February 02, 2011, 02:54:49 PM »
Don't want to mess up the holiday diet thread with a four thousand post infomercial about the primal diet.  See Marks Daily Apple.com. 

Ordered the book awhile back.  Read an article in Mens Journal last weekend on this same subject... then read the book.

The book is a little bit silly in some respects... but the science seemed to me to be very solid.

Now I am on the Primal diet and will share some quick easy recipes... and thoughts on the diet.
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: How are you getting Primal?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 03:09:51 PM »
Forgot to also ask fellow Zoners who are also on the Primal diet to share some recipes... quick easy snacks, and their experiences.

My first attempt at a Primal dinner was last night... after a long day... looked at the "approved" foods and my bags of food from Trader Joes and whipped up this... in five minutes:

Arugula and Spinach leaves tossed with dark sesame oil (a tea spoon) and evoo (two tea spoons), and regular pepper...

Added pumkin seeds, bay shrimp, and an avocado.  Shook it up and ate it.  MMMM good.  Next time, gonna toast the pumpkin seeds.

Kept me quite full all night, so full that I did not eat breakfast, but instead ate some (organic) beef jerky and a Laramar bar on the way home from court for lunch.

Looking forward to trying to whip up a five minute wonder tonight... probably just going to go with Salmon in the same salad above... maybe go with pecans instead of pumpkin seeds... and a sweeter pepper to accent the sweetness of the pecan... and maybe throw on some bell peppers to contrast the sweetness... and maybe some roma tomatoes.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 03:45:25 PM »
I've been going out in the park and killing squirrels for dinner. 

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 03:59:47 PM »
Well, that's fine I guess... just make sure that you don't pair the squirrels with wild rice or a grain... maybe quinoa, but that's it... perhaps on a bed of spinach with butter... ?

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 04:11:08 PM »
Just eat roadkill - easier than catching those feisty squirrels...  Plus your meat is pre-tenderized!

jwcb

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
Two bags of asian-style frozen veggies (broccoli, snap peas, water chestnuts, ...), can of coconut milk, Tiger Thai Red Curry Paste, and chicken (or squirrel).  Almost as yummy as the Thai restaurant (no rice though) and enough for two for several meals.  Yum.

surfnpoppy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 04:31:44 PM »
Ewww... park fed squirrels diets are horrible they eat KFC and snickers bar wrappers...I prefer mountain fed squirrels that eat nuts and bark. yum.

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 05:27:36 PM »
Chewing my finger nails is pretty primal....now I'll stop messing up your thread.

Tim,

If you have time, do you mind breaking down your take on the diet: what to eat, what to avoid, etc?  I'm not going to buy the book, but am interested in the Primal concept...eat meat, veg..things that are alive..avoid processed?

*** EDIT: got off my lazy ass and found this:  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/definitive-guide-to-the-primal-eating-plan/

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 05:30:00 PM by H2Oman »

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 05:46:53 PM »
I love squirrel-sauteed in baby seal oil with a nice side of spotted owl-endangered meat is so yummy!
Ok enough of that-my interest is now heavy-clicked on the daily apple thing-yeah.  Interesting!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 08:57:46 PM »
Here is a BASIC list that I made when reading the book... Keep it on my IPAD for shopping

Diet

Energy Bars

Raw revolution

Cliff nectar

Larabar

Vegetables

Yams, sweet potatoes

Spinach arugula celery lettuce

Bright or leafy or green veggies

No beans ever

Fruit

Blu, black, raspberry, or any other berries... With heavy cream too...

Cherries

Prunes

Apples

Peaches

Pears 

Figs

Kiwis

Grapefruit

Apricot

Snacks

Jerky

Turkey

Beef

Buffalo

Venison

Celery with

Almond butter

Cottage cheese. With nut or fruit topping

Cream cheese

Cottage cheese

With fruit or nuts or balsamic vinegar, olives

Dark chocolate, over 70 percent

Almonds, pecans, pumpkin, sesame

Trail mix

Canned tuna / sardines

Meals

Canned tuna or salmon

Grass fed, organic, line caught

Shell fish

Fats

Butter

Coconut oil

Olive oil

Dark sesame oil

Calcium

Raw, organic yogurt, cheese

Whole grain wild rice... And quinoa ...Acceptable grain in very limited quantities

Daily targets:

104 protein

75 carbs

148 fat

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 09:07:49 PM »
A lot of times for dinner, I scramble eggs with a few of these things sauteed in olive oil (sometimes one or two of them, sometimes several):
--spinach
--onions
--green onions
--mushrooms
--peppers (green, yellow, red)
--zucchini
--asparagus
--broccoli

I usually add some parmesan or other cheese.  Sometimes add lean hamburger or grilled chicken.  The ingredients are all things that either keep for a long time, or come frozen (such as spinach, pepper strips, grilled chicken strips) so you can always have them available and just microwave them and add them in.  Sometimes I add avocado or tomatoes.

Sometimes I make basically the same stuff, and add a bunch of butter, and dump it all over pasta.  I know pasta isn't primal, but I call mine "pasta primalvera" so it's still OK. 

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 09:28:04 PM »
Roland,

To finish the thought... You are correct.  Avoid the middle of the store and stick to the perimeter.

Meats/fish/eggs Organic, grass fed, line caught, good fats ( avo, walnuts, almonds, evoo, fish oil, coconut milk, macadamia nuts, coconut oil...)

Green and leafy or colorful veggies...

Fruit as a treat, and in limited quantities...

No grains, no beans, no refined sugars (including chocolate chip cookies F**K!)

No juices, sodas or diet sodas...  Water when u r thirsty and unsweetened tea... Coffee in the morning and wine in the evening okay in moderation...

Limit energy bars to the above brands and use them... When you need... Energy... (I think I got the energy bars from the mens journal article... Another dude with a VERY similar diet philosophy).

The mens journal article had some good recipes... As does the website you mentioned.

Good eating!

Tim

That is a pretty basic run down of the ins and outs.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 09:41:21 PM »
Roland,

To finish the thought... You are correct.  Avoid the middle of the store and stick to the perimeter.

Tim--thanks for the summary.  Just remember to be cautious:

Perimeter of the store = vegetables, fruit, meat, dairy/eggs
Perimeter of the store also = beer, bakery, ice cream, cold soda pop, deli, ATM

SEA

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 09:54:38 PM »
A lot of times for dinner, I scramble eggs with a few of these things sauteed in olive oil (sometimes one or two of them, sometimes several):
--spinach
--onions
--green onions
--mushrooms
--peppers (green, yellow, red)
--zucchini
--asparagus
--broccoli

You definitely want to think twice about cooking anything with olive oil. There is a reason COLD pressed olive oil is good for us, cause heat radically changes it and it becomes toxic in a sense.

Read this article

http://blisstree.com/eat/cooking-with-olive-oil-may-cause-cancer/

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 10:23:55 PM »
Thanks Tim.  Grocery shopping is easy for me, I pretty much do it for a living.   Eating is my issue...and getting more exercise.

Vegetable shopping is always the sticky area when I'm shopping for home.  We're pretty busy and I get a veggie-block when it comes to stuff outside of lettuce, potatoes, tomatoes & onions.  About a year ago we signed up for organic home delivery with Farm Fresh To You.  They deliver a box of veg, fruit or just veg, just fruit, etc., to your door for about what it cost to buy it at Whole Foods.  It's been great.  Now I eat kale and other stuff I just wouldn't have bought.  We get a mixed box every two weeks of what ever is in season for about $32.50...at my door between 6am - 8am.  You can even tell them not to include certain items (ie. potatoes).  They include a newsletter with recipes for what's in your box to help if you don't cook.  When we go on vacation, I just go online and click "don't deliver to xxx date".   I think they might only be SoCal.

If you hate shopping or are really busy, check them out.  If you use my wife's name and the ref# you'll save $5 off the first delivery: EVA BAKER REF#6140

I'll take a look at your list and see if I can't get things in gear.  It's been tough.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard