Author Topic: Packing Board / Paddle for Airline Travel  (Read 4648 times)

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Packing Board / Paddle for Airline Travel
« on: February 02, 2011, 05:30:30 AM »
I'm trying to get my thoughts together for what the best way to pack my board and paddle for an upcoming trip.  I have the Naish bag that came w/ my board, but I want to get more protection than that.  The bag is cut quite loose for the board so it looks like they left room to add further protection.  So far I'm planning on:
- wrapping the rails w/ pipe insulation
- getting some sort of lightweight sheet foam to cover all other areas of the board not covered by the deck pad

Still trying to figure out how to protect the paddle while its in the bag w/ the board.  Any experience?
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Packing Board / Paddle for Airline Travel
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 06:14:48 AM »
i just put the board in a sock or tape towels around it for youll need them for the trip anyway pipe insulation on the rails or big bubble wrap the whole board bubble wrap paddle. put clothes or something soft behind nose up front on opposite side of rocker. i find sups a lot tougher then regular boards ive also just put board in bag and had no problems. and it was a naish bag, naish boards are tough as nails.... where are u going? good luck

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 06:30:52 AM »
Thanks Newton - It appears to me that the exposed bamboo portion on my Mana 10 has a bit of flex in the deck.....if i push on it w/ my thumb I can see it flexing a bit - Is that normal?  I guess I'm just nervous to travel w/ a brand new board and want to protect it as much as possible....  Heading to Costa Rica - looking forward to it!
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"

endlessfight

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 07:33:26 AM »
^ i hear you man. im heading to nicaragua in two weeks from detroit, and gotta take two flights each way to get there. a bit worried about my board. i got a 9'6" and really not stoked to lug that thing around...but good luck finding short performance boards in central america
what i'm planning on doing is the towell thing around the nose, and tail of the board. i'm planning on actually taping my paddle to my board (wrapping tape around the whole board and paddle) so that it's not moving around, and stays in the best area with the least amount of flex.

i DO have more faith with a sup then a surfboard tho. it would take a lot to break my SUP.....but at the same time i wouldn't be suprised with the amound of damage i've heard of from surfboards.

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 07:55:23 AM »
cardboard is also great to use, cut an outline of the deck of the board and lay it on the top and bottom slip them under the pipe insulators and you should be good

i also usually make a little cardboard tail and nose covers, there also easier to use when you have to re pack your board for the trip back home bubble wrapping is sometimes a bitch

how big a board are you bringing? im going to costa next thursday still debating on what to do, might just rent one there
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 08:01:39 AM »
if i doubt use the pipe insulation they add cushion almost all around because they stick out so much all around the board with the towels, sock, bubble wrap or cardboard id say you'd be pretty good.  keep it light if u can this will keep baggage handlers happier when they see that big bag.  i always bring my own boards renting can be a pain and from what ive found it can also cost more.

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 09:13:42 AM »
Reid - I've gone back and forth also w/ renting or bringing my own....and I think I'm bringing my new Mana 10.  Here was my thinking:

1- You'll never be as happy w/ a rental as you would be w/ your own setup
2- CR rentals seemed to be appx $125/week (best I could find)
3- Jetblue only charges $50 each way w/ no length limit and a 100lb weight limit (no prob) although other airlines were more.
4- I don't mind dragging a board around by any means - It reminds you that you're on a surf trip and gets you stoked just looking at it!!
5- If I damage a rental board, who knows how much they'll charge for "repairs", at least w/ your board you can control that and rent one in a pinch if needed.
6- Hopefully w/ CC baggage insurance etc...any major damage to the board by the airlines will be covered.  I've had good success w/ AMEX in the past.

We'll see what happens.....btw, I like the cardboard idea.....you can fold it up when you get there and keep it low profile.  Maybe pipe insulation, cardboard and towels and wetsuits is the way to go??
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 09:31:29 AM by crtraveler »
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"

ehrawn

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 09:52:11 AM »
I flew with a 10-3 PSH for the same reasons you listed. I used the FCS SUP travel bag and split pipe insulation that I taped to the board with painter's tape (rails, top and bottom). It worked great. In retrospect, the board bag was overkill: it won't stop punctures and didn't provide adequate padding if the board was dropped. It's better to use a bag to hold everything together rather than rely on it to protect your board. Make sure to bring a small repair kit (sun-cure, sand paper, tape, etc) just in case.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 10:00:07 AM »
Split piping insulation is great. Rather than tape, I'd suggest you use that Saran wrap like stuff that they use for packing. You can get it at Staples. Works good and doesn't get your board sticky.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 01:12:33 PM »
Ditto the suggestion on shrink/saran wrap for packing. Holds great, but doesn't leave any sticky goo on the board.  Grocery store Saran wrap works well and is available anywhere, though not as easy to use as the 6" wide stuff made for this purpose. Split insulation for the rails and double layer of (large bubble) bubble wrap for the deck and bottom.  Light and protective, and the pipe insulation works great on factory roof rack bars when you get there.

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »
I am doing the same Costa Rica Trip thing and brining my board.  I am packing it like I am shipping it in a board bag with Cardboard on the nose and tail and pipe wrap on the rails and wrapped in bubble wrap that I saved from shipping.  Throwing in the towels wrapped around my paddle.

I think I am more worried about the paddle being damaged than the protected board.  Any comments on the paddle packing?

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 08:00:20 AM »
bubble wrap the paddle put it in bag on the pad side of board.

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 02:12:05 PM »
cardboard has worked well for me in conjunction with the pipe insulation, as far as the paddle is concerned, i bring along my werner nitro 3 pc, much easier to pack in luggage than a standar 1 pc, im debating on bringing my 3 pc eco imagine board, if i could get the damn thing apart, i have to spend a few hours this weekend on it to see if i can get it packed safely without being too bulky as i think we are taking a small plane from San Jose to a smaller ariport near santa teresa.
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

Dan55

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 12:58:07 PM »
My kialoa methane got snapped in transit with Alaska Air. They have promised to reimburse me.
Take a pic of the intact paddle while packing it and take it out of the packing as soon as you get it at the airport and take a good look at it. I packed my paddle in a full wetsuit, then a padded bag, then in 3 layers of cardboard and plastered it all with fragile stickers. It was bombproof, or so i thought. Not so. Snapped where the blade meets shaft.

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 04:21:43 PM »
So - I think I have it figured out....2 weeks from tomorrow.  I'm going w/ the combo of pipe insulation, bubble wrap, cardboard and the plastic packing wrap (from Staples).  I will get creative w/ the 1 piece paddle using all of the above material.  I will snap some pics when I'm packing and post them and then hopefully have a pic of a fully intact, dingless board when I arrive to Costa Rica to post as well. 
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal