Author Topic: Cutting a Blade Down  (Read 4127 times)

Stokage

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Cutting a Blade Down
« on: February 01, 2011, 05:32:36 PM »
Has anyone ever cut or trimmed the size of a Starboard blade. I have what I think is a 2008 Starboard carbon fiber "Power" blade. It has a very big squared off surface area and requires a bit more force than I would like.

I think an inch off the outer edge on the lower section would help, a little rounder blade, but I don't want to ruin a good paddle either.
Any ideas how to do or what to expect?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Cutting a Blade Down
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 08:10:40 PM »
You should be able to cut it down. I'd go slowly though...an inch around the whole blade is getting rid of a lot or area at once....I'd go with a lot less and see how it feels. You can't add it back after cutting. Evan at standuppaddlesurf.net cut down a C4 blade...right through the carbon and foam with a circular saw....think I'd tape it off and use a hack saw blade for less chipping of the carbon.. He just coated the raw edges with resin and then taped it. I think I'd add a strip of glass around the edge and feather it in.
http://www.standuppaddlesurf.net/2008/02/27/circular-saw-meets-paddle-c4-diamond-e/

I saw this paddle and used it for a quick try...too small for me but it looked fine and worked well for Evan.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 08:12:44 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Stokage

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 04:42:47 AM »
Thanks Stoneaxe,
Thats what I needed,just a little hope.
Between that info and using a smaller blade and shorter overall length on the wave yesterday(loving it) I will be getting out the saw.
I'll put it up here when done
Thanks again

adios pantalones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 03:59:16 PM »
Take the time to measure and lay out the cut in tape or grease pencil, make sure you're symetrical. I've used a compass as a scribe for jobs like this. set your width then run the pointed shaft around the edge, allowing the pencil end to trace a line an even distance from the edge.

I think I would cut with the saw and leave yourself an 1/8" proud. Then finish down to the line with a file or sanding block for a nice, smooth chamfered edge.
Wear gloves and a mask, carbon itches just like fiberglas and you really don't wanna breathe the stuff.

HTH

Stokage

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 04:16:20 PM »
thanks for the scoop. I was thinking how important perfect symmetry must be otherwise the paddle would twist towards the lesser side when paddling

Thanks again

lee

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 05:23:18 PM »
I wouldn't do that. Starboard has some new glass blade carbon shaft paddles that cost less that the all carbon ones.
That paddle will be worth about zero as soon as you cut it. And less when it delams
Livin the dream @LEE's SUP

Neki

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 05:41:05 PM »
I did my Werner spanker. Took about .75" off the sides . Marked edges to remove with china marker and ruler, be symetrical as you can. Cut and leave a bit to sand in place of markings like said above.  worked great except the old werner shafts are way stiff and i probably lost even more of what flex was there.

Stokage

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 07:07:32 PM »
I wouldn't do that. Starboard has some new glass blade carbon shaft paddles that cost less that the all carbon ones.
That paddle will be worth about zero as soon as you cut it. And less when it delams

I normally would just go out and buy whatever I want and save this one for a rainy day, but I am at the end of the dirt road in Costa Rica and other than coconuts and sunshine and good waves of course, there is nothing. Well the girls are nice. Even getting a good resin or any resin would be a miracle let along a paddle of your choice, so I am left to try and fix what I have while I hope a friend can get me one here.
But Thanks for the advice

lee

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 07:14:56 PM »
Do they have Palm trees there.?If so then Starboard has a new delivery service....I wish..I wonder how long it would take to drive a van there?LOL
In the real world  I could see about a drop ship??

lee

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 07:21:28 PM »
Oh Crap you can't get there from here :(

Stokage

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 06:03:54 AM »
I am definitely among the Palm trees.

I am working on getting a 550 Enduro which I used the other day from a pro from Starboard and I loved it. The blade maybe was a bit small to push my 9'8" board and my 180lb load, but for paddling hard for 3 hrs I think it would be  great.

Hey lee, where is your store?

adios pantalones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 11:04:07 AM »
Dead end road... palms... nice girls... how much resin do you need dude? I'm on my way!   :D

lee

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 06:00:33 PM »
Z, I'm in Brownsville WA.
I was thinking about your paddle dilemma .I wonder if  you could adjust your stroke to fit the paddle.I was reading some of DaveK's Blog that PB posted a link too.It was the tempo thing.
And it mentioned paddle size as part of tempo.Kinda made me go HMMM.
Punched your Location into my Iphone.!!! Driving directions not available. I wonder if a trimaran could make there.?LOL.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 06:17:49 PM by lee »

Stokage

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 04:47:56 AM »
I am going to cut this blade down and shorten the shaft length again, especially after reading the short but informative shoulder pain info in SUP Magazine.

I am going to look up that info on the tempo, but when trying to get on a wave, I just dig too hard

lazymodo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 05:21:13 AM »
what to expect? expect to buy a new paddle or repair that one if you cut it. Most carbon paddles have foam cores that come to within a half an inch of the outer edge of the paddles outline. werners and quick blades have a plastic outer edge laminated into them for durability not sure about the starboard. Im sure it will work to some extent but given your access to gear why would you potentially shorten the life of  your paddle? I believe, and its just my opinion, that if your having shoulder pain theres probably  something wrong with your technique or you jumped in a little to much and over did it at the start. Seems to happen a lot. Its so much fun you cant stop and the next thing you know a shoulder joint that has never done this movement before just put in 8 hours of very strenuous effort. think about it, if you never lifted weights before and you just jumped in and started working out for 2 hours a day youd have some some serious connective tissue issues. especially if your older.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal