Author Topic: Surfer Magazine at it Again - R***Y advert and "Extra" Page  (Read 12041 times)

joeag

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Surfer Magazine at it Again - R***Y advert and "Extra" Page
« on: January 27, 2011, 04:31:44 PM »
Oh boy.  Got the new issue in the mail today and not only is there a new R**** ad (let's refer to the company as "the company whose name must not be mentioned), the "extra" page at the back features a SUP dropping on a longboarder (not only dropping in but kooking out as well), along with the description:

Natural Selection
Soft tops and SUPs battle it out for the last spot on the food chain

The ad is the same format as the last one, only this time it includes a partial "get fu*ked" sign directed at the SUP, along with the SUP running over some kids sandcastle on the beach.  All while a burly shortboarder guy surfs with a woman over his shoulder, battles neptune and some sea monster, etc. There is also an image of two hands in handcuffs, I guess that's the artist's way of signifying his previous "persecution" for the last ad.

Let the 17 page thread begin!

As a starter, Surfer Mag must be dying on the vine when it comes to adverts.  Not only is there less advertising in every issue, they are now accepting ads from "Vermont Teddy Bear" and "Pajamagram.com" - how CORE is that!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:36:28 PM by joeag »

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
Re: Surfer Magazine at it Again - R***Y advert and "Extra" Page
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 04:45:53 PM »
Nice!-whatever-have fun in CR dude!
Fun sesh with you this morning!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Surfer Magazine at it Again
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 04:55:51 PM »
I let my subscription expire and when called for renewal I told the salesman that when surfer quits stoking the fire of anti sup surfing sentiment then maybe I will reconsider. 

Surfed our point with 4 short boarders today.  All was good, we were taking turns, giving one another space and had a good cycle going.   The short boarders were all out of town ers and behaved.   

I don't give a hoot about surfer mag anymore.  They lost a customer who has been with them over 40 years.  Good job guys. Hope you tell your shareholders or stockholders about great of responses your getting from conflict ads. But be sure to tell them about you core customers who you have alienated.  As a surfer since 1964 or so I am sure you can identify me as an old fart but to deny that I am not surfing when riding my sup tells me your head ain't straight.

My magazine money is now for standup paddle journals that seem to reflect the core stoke about surfing and our sport in all aspects without the crap of we are better than you sickness.

Lets move on and not give them any consideration. If your offended quit buying their mags.   

joeag

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 05:00:23 PM »
"I don't give a hoot about surfer mag anymore.  They lost a customer who has been with them over 40 years.  Good job guys. Hope you tell your shareholders or stockholders about great of responses your getting from conflict ads. But be sure to tell them about you core customers who you have alienated.  As a surfer since 1964 or so I am sure you can identify me as an old fart but to deny that I am not surfing when riding my sup tells me your head ain't straight. "

I agree with you, I have been a subscriber, with very few interruptions, since probably 1974 and I am about done with the mag.  I have (and regularly ride) shortboards, longboards and SUP's and it's all surfing as far as I am concerned.  This pandering to a certain reader segment really stinks and is very shortsighted.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 05:10:10 PM »
 Not only is there less advertising in every issue, they are now accepting ads from "Vermont Teddy Bear" and "Pajamagram.com" - how CORE is that!!
LOL  :D
It takes a quiver to do that.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 05:55:00 PM »
But the Rusty spokeswhore was super duper infinity sorry...

Tube, I was up in your neck of the woods this week.  Depositions in Eureka... was dying to paddle as The Humboldt Jetty and a certain right point south of the Harbor was GOING OFF... unfortunately no room on the plane for my board... and no room in the schedule for a surf...

Beautiful country my friend... a gorgeous couple of days.  You are blessed to live up there!

All that water... all those paddling possibilities... lots of energy in that water amigo.

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 07:32:46 PM »
Sounds like you are describing the ad depicted here
http://wavesmag.com.au/wordpress/2011/01/rusty-stirs-the-states/

Lobes

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
These idiots just dont get it. And who is this clown Josh Kerr, more like Wayne Kerr

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 06:12:31 AM »

Beautiful country my friend... a gorgeous couple of days.  You are blessed to live up there!

All that water... all those paddling possibilities... lots of energy in that water amigo.

Tim

Thank you Tim.  I wake up every day and appreciate the beauty of this area.  And if you come back, I have plenty of gear and I will be your personal guide.  I can not only hook you up with surf but with the community.  The D A is my buddie as well as many within the legal community.  Hint, hint you would make a fine living here on the north coast. Wives are ones who have a difficult time up here as there is not much shopping while we are out surfing our brains out.

I have been working with a photographer since the surf contest last Oct.  He has taken 6k pictures.  Anyway I don't want to blow  a surprise and hope it happens but 6 of the pictures may be in the next issue of standup journal along with an article of our area as it relates to paddling.  No bashing in that read.  Hope the shortboarders and longboarders take a look. A secret spot is captured in harsh and rugged conditions that should have them all frothing. Maybe after a good read they will also bail on surfer. 

Jeff

werkSUPrider

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 06:46:55 AM »
Times are changing. Laird Hamilton believes riding SUP's is going to be huge because you can do it on any body of water. I agree with him. I think the only losers that will care, will be the surfers that can't except change. It's always about change that causes these idiots to rage. They hated the advent of the short boards in the late 60's and 70's, they hated the longboard resurgence in the 90's. They hated epoxy, they hated the leash etc. Change happens, in this case for the good of riding on the water.
I think this fourm does a great job educating, we can grow the sport, by following edicit and keeping the aloha spirit. The haters (like Rusty) will have to change or become outcasts.

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 07:22:39 AM »
The haters (like Rusty) will have to change or become outcasts.

Absolutely.  If these haters think SUP surfers are going away because the haters  are whining and complaining, they are sadly mistaken.

Puamana4me

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 07:50:19 AM »
In another  5 years Surfer mag , and the other shortboard platform rags, will be running "short SUP" ads.  I just yesterday saw a young standout  regular surfer at a point break on a SUP, I about fell off my board !

NEVER thought I'd see him on a SUP, he gave me the stinkeye for years.

The short SUP market will claim many shortboarders, and the 6'5" SUPs will be everywhere.

The SUP hate ads will be a thing of the past, and the Miss R**f  bikini girl will be on a SUP. It will be super COOL to be a young Super.

OH, did i forget to mention that AGING will bring the very SUp haters to being SUP lovers cause they want wave counts like when they were age 15.

val

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 10:50:08 PM »
Oh boy.  Got the new issue in the mail today and not only is there a new R**** ad (let's refer to the company as "the company whose name must not be mentioned),

The ad is the same format as the last one, only this time it includes a partial "get fu*ked" sign directed at the SUP, along with the SUP running over some kids sandcastle on the beach.  All while a burly shortboarder guy surfs with a woman over his shoulder, battles neptune and some sea monster, etc. There is also an image of two hands in handcuffs, I guess that's the artist's way of signifying his previous "persecution" for the last ad.

Let the 17 page thread begin!

wow.  I think you missed the point.  I thought it was hilarious and classic  -- the waverider warrior shred fantasy juxtaposed against the reality of crappy beachbreak and in this case a SUP.  I think you all need to get a sense of humor and not take cartoons so literally.  

« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 10:53:27 PM by val »

newton333

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 11:36:36 AM »
enough with the rusty bullshit the guy is a asshole and i really dont care if he sold off the clothing part of his company it is still his stupid last name and enough is enough.   and screw the surfing mags doing this shit cancel all subscriptions.  some many sup mage no need to read them anymore.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 04:51:35 PM »
I was thinking of this the other day when I was surfing at Kanaha. Guy asked me why I liked standup. I said it was because you can do so much with them. Race, do downwinders, cruise, surf, surf in places regular boards can't or won't get to, fish, dive, wavesail. It's a general water tool and every way you use it makes you better at all the other ways.

Just after we finished talking I saw something out beyond the lineup a couple of hundred yards. I paddled out and found a sort of loose school of baby hammerheads. Wonderful to see. No way you would do that on a longboard. You just sit there and catch a few waves.

Yesterday I did a Maliko downwinder, this morning I races in the MCKC race. If we didn't have guest coming for dinner I'd be surfing at Lanes right now. What a sport.

The grumpy guys just don't understand that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal