Author Topic: Racing board for 240lbs  (Read 6790 times)

BigDoug

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Racing board for 240lbs
« on: January 21, 2011, 01:45:56 PM »
Hi all,

I did my first race last weekend and had a blast.  Nothing beats the comaraderie of the race scene.   I was really stoked on the whole experience.  This is definitely going to open up a whole bunch of time on the water for me. 

So, here's my question.  I did the race on the new Coreban 14, sweet board, If I was 200 or under it would be the perfect board. 

Several folks noted that the back end was a bit too underwater for me. I tried moving forward  but still was getting bogged down.  I demo-ed an Everpaddle 12'6 back to back and was actually faster on that board (I'm thinking the additional volume was what helped).

So, here's my question: what do you big guys think is a good board?  I'll be doing mostly San Francisco bay, some chop, some early morn glass, and the occasional coastal run.  I really don't care about being too competitive, I just want something that works well for my size and a variety of conditions.   

Thanks for your input Zoners!
Doug

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Racing board for 240lbs
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 01:53:54 PM »
Try a 14' Naish Javelin.. It's faster than the 14' Coreban and very floaty for bigger guys.. I found that with the Coreban the tail dragged if you're over 200 lbs and the recessed deck stops you moving forward..(it's still a very nice board) The new 14' Fanatic might be worth waiting for.. It's going to be a beauty and a friend is racing one this w/e. (a proto) .. I should have pics of it soon.

DJ

BigDoug

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 02:14:39 PM »
Thanks DJ - it's nice to get affirmation on the tail dragging I was experiencing.  I was a bit disappointed that the Coreban didn't work for me, as it is a stunning board and incredibly light (carbon kevlar).  I'll see if I can get my hands on a Naish to demo.

SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 02:57:48 PM »
Try contacting KINGS Paddlesports and discuss a custom. Dave Daum is making some REALLY nice and FAST boards. Check out the website and give him a call.
Greg

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 03:22:06 PM »
Hey Big Doug-

I'm in the same boat- I started racing at 235lbs on a 12'6 x 28.5 x 6" custom Tim Stamps (out of Seal Beach/Huntington) by the way, I'm down to 220lb as of this afternoon- so watch out. I did four or five races on it- it wasn't made for me but Tim let me use it and I'm still paddling it now. Here's my biggest conclusion so far:

I want a wider board. That board is too tippy for a guy my size- especially in open water or near jetties or other structures that bounce waves back out to sea. I think for guys like us who are just starting to race, stability is much more important than having a fashionable looking needle thin race board- if you don't feel comfortable, you won't be able to lay down power and you won't be fast.

For example: In the Battle of the Paddle, I raced in the surfboard division- it was my best result, 5th in my age group. In fact, I caught and passed many who were on race boards and those guys started a minute and a half in front of us. I attribute my success to the stability of the board- I'm very used to being on surfboard standos and this one was 29.5" wide- I felt super comfortable and was able to get my stroke going.

Tim's making a custom board for me it's going to be 30" wide x 12'6 with a piercing type bow and a square tail (I'm on a pintail now- it's wobbly). I want to stay in the stock division because that's where the most competition is- at least there are more paddlers in that division than the others.

I second the suggestion to get a custom board made- go for it, it's fun!

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 03:59:39 PM »
Call Joe Bark. He'll make you a rocket ship.

CCSUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 11:23:14 AM »
A great and econonimical board to check out is the Angulo Shaka 14'. $1600 gets you a 25 # board, $1400 for something a few pounds heavier. If you consider yourself a recreational racer this board is great....I think of it as a coastal cruiser. It's great in open water, fun, and fast. If you're a serious racer the Tiger Shaka could be a board, or go custom as other folks are saying.

The Angulo's can be test paddled in Santa Cruz and Morro Bay. Down here we do a free SUP Demo the second Saturday morning of every month. 9 AM til everyone's done!

~CCSUP
www.centralcoastsup.com

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 12:23:15 PM »
All good suggestions above so I don't know that you need any more but the Starboard K-15 is fast and stable for heavyweights. I have been using one for about a year now. Best...

BigDoug

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
thanks all for the suggestions.

I did my second race this past weekend and, well, I finished  ;).  It was great seeing the OC-1s  and the surfski's and SUP's out there all together - wow they are fast. 

I ended up demoing a Laird Coastal cruiser - great all-around board for big guys, but definitely not a fast board. 

yellafella

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »
I have just purchased a board myself. Im 235lbs and wanted to stay in the 12'6" range. I was on vacation in Orange County a couple weeks ago and stopped in Paddle Surf Warehouse where i was welcomed and showed around their shop. I didnt have plans to purchase a board, but what caught my eye were the sup's made by Martie Wells. There a race/touring style board. After talking to the manager there, I left there with with a brand new 12'6" board for my weight, a carbon paddle, fin, and a very nice bag all for around $1550. I love it and couldn't be happier. I think the shaper has a website you can check out. Just an FYI. New to the forum, so I thought id help.

caseyg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 06:15:16 PM »
Big Doug, I agree with the others who said to get a custom board.  Someone else also mentioned Joe Bark.  I would second that too.  Joe made me a 14' custom, that is dialed in just right for my size.  I range around 215lbs or so, give or take 5 pounds.  I was hoping to get the Surftech Bark Dominator (as I was happy with my 12'6 Surftech/Bark Competitor) since it was cheaper, but Joe advised me to go custom this time, due to my size.  The Surftech version is 27.5" wide and Joe felt I would need a little more width for stability, so went a little over 29" this time.  I am glad I listened.  This board is just right for me.  It will run you some extra, compared to the Naish and some others mentioned here, but you will get the fastest board on the water (IMO), and it will be dialed in just for you.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 08:14:39 PM »
caseyg--you forgot to mention that by going for the custom Bark, you also got a really beautiful one unlike any other as well. 

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 08:34:55 PM »
caseyg- cool to hear that J.B. recommended something wider for you and your size- I'm in the same boat. I'm 220-ish and am having a custom race board made that will be 30" wide. Stoked for the extra width when it's choppy and bumpy out there.

BigDoug

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 10:11:28 AM »
Thanks Yella, Casey, PDX, ps.net - good advice - now to start stashing away some pesos :-)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal