Author Topic: Design Software and Volume  (Read 4725 times)

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
Design Software and Volume
« on: March 07, 2008, 08:17:27 AM »
Hey All,

I'm fooling around with the aps3000 aku shaper program and need some help with a couple things.

Is there a more comprehensive tutorial? I'm trying to plug in thickness figures and can't seem to figure out an easy way to do it, or even how to do it. There's a little button for length and width but nothing I can see for the other dimensions.

Re volume, is there some kind of generally agreed upon standard or formula that states a given volume for a given weight for a SUP? For example, is there a volume figure that is standard for a 150# person, a 200# person, etc. My thought is that if there were such a standard or generally accepted "average", then could one plug that volume figure into the software and work from it?

Apparently there are accepted standards for generic surfboards and the aku program let's you start with a generic shape if you want. I've been playing with the 9' longboard and experimenting with it. The default setting for thickness is 3".

Thanks in advance for any comments and advice,
gary - srfnff

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Design Software and Volume
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 10:40:05 AM »
Thickness is controlled in the shaper window itself by dragging the spline control points. You do that with all the controls. The tabs across the top give you control of the Outline, Slices, Top, and Bottom. To make the board thicker you go to either the top or bottom view and click and drag the center blue control point up or down. There is a readout that tells you the thickness as you drag. You shape your rails in the slices view. You can add slices for for more fine control. You can add control points too. Just play around by dragging the blue, red, and yellow control points.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 10:54:49 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

srfnff

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Srfnff
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 02:24:08 PM »
Cool! Thanks Bob,
gary

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 04:13:40 PM »
I've only just played with it a bit myself. Do a search on swaylocks for aku...some  threads to go through. More stuff at tree to sea too.
http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 04:18:06 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

WG

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 05:34:09 AM »
I recently built a volume tank and have been doing a lot of board testing lately.  Most SUP Boards range from 105 liters to 190 liters.  I have found that most riders want their boards to be in a volume range between 140% and 170% compared to their body weight.  For a regular longboard, riders want their boards right around 100% of their body weight or a 1 to 1 ratio.

To get this ratio:  Multiply the board's liters by 2.2 and divide by your body weight in pounds.  Or use liters divided by kilos.  One liter of volume will float one kilo in the metric system.

Example:  130 liter board x 2.2 = 260 / 165# rider = 157%  or 1.57

Better surfers will want lower volume accordingly and beginners will want more volume.  Whit Guild

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 01:54:13 PM »
No wonder I like a big board.... ;D
Bob

cape supper

• Malibu Status
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - colorcharm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 09:21:33 PM »
I have found that after a long session of tweaking on akushaper, the volume calculation gets stuck on the same figure. I then have to save my board and reopen it again to update the volume.

Anybody else have this problem too?

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal