Author Topic: Paddle advice  (Read 5093 times)

fumanii

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Paddle advice
« on: January 09, 2011, 07:32:42 PM »
Hey everyone,
    I am new here.   I just started SUPing right before Christmas.  I am hooked.  I go out every free day I can.  So far I have just been cruising around the harbor in Redondo Beach learning my balance.   
    I have an aluminum Styks paddle and was wondering how much of a difference a new paddle would make.  From what I have read here, it seems like it would make quite a bit of difference.   Do you all have any recommendations on something that good and on the cheaper side.   Thanks!! 
                                     Mike

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Paddle advice
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 08:06:52 PM »
A good paddle does make a huge difference. The best thing you can do is see about demoing some if possible. Paddles have very different feels and its tough to recommend one specific paddles. Kialoa, Werner, Quickblade, are the top 3 but there are plenty of others that offer quality. Some of the carbon/fiberglass hybrids offer good value.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

fumanii

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 08:34:09 PM »
I will have to see if any of the local shops will let people demo paddles.   I was interested in trying out the Kialoa Ikaika series.   Does anyone here have any experience with them? 

SouthbaySUP

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 08:38:36 PM »
Welcome Mike!  I too paddle in the Redondo Harbor when the ocean is too rough.  To answer your question, yes, I believe you will be more comfortable with a carbon fiber or carbon/fiberglass hybrid paddle.  I prefer Quickblades, but that's all I've ever used.  You might want to call the guys at Surfing Sports up in Santa Barbara; they really speak the language and helped me narrow down my choices.  Good luck and I'm sure I'll run into you some day.

Lobes

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 03:49:36 AM »
I have a kialoa methane. It's a very good paddle I did a dwinder with it today.

Kialoas have an oval shaped shaft that is more comfortable than a circular one to hold. The handle is a t shape. I have not used the ikaika but the methane is a good shape for paddling fast. I am 90kg.

Glider

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 07:49:55 AM »
Check out the Werner paddles, very durable with reasonable prices.  Lite enough for general use and waves.  Compare the weight with the more priciy paddles, not that much difference.  I use the orange carve and the blue advantage depending on the conditions.  Price around $220   Sold at most SUP stores

fumanii

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 10:49:46 AM »
Welcome Mike!  I too paddle in the Redondo Harbor when the ocean is too rough.  To answer your question, yes, I believe you will be more comfortable with a carbon fiber or carbon/fiberglass hybrid paddle.  I prefer Quickblades, but that's all I've ever used.  You might want to call the guys at Surfing Sports up in Santa Barbara; they really speak the language and helped me narrow down my choices.  Good luck and I'm sure I'll run into you some day.

I wonder if I have talked to you on the water.    I am the Asian guy with the red board cruisin really slowly.   Are you the guy with the Bark or part of the couple that occasionally cruises around the harbor?   

Thanks everyone for the tips on paddles.    I think that will be my next investment.  Those three seem like the paddles that pop up the most:   Quickblade, Werner and Kialoa.   

Lobes

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 01:14:09 PM »
I have the quikblade kanaha, Werner spanker and a kialoa methane. They are all exceptionally good paddles but the quikblade is my favorite. I would say the Werner is probably the lightest

fumanii

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 02:43:08 PM »
So many choices!!   I guess that is why everyone has multiple paddles.   What do you all think of the C4 paddles?   I don't see them mentioned quite as much. 

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 07:38:37 PM »
So many choices!!   I guess that is why everyone has multiple paddles.   What do you all think of the C4 paddles?   I don't see them mentioned quite as much. 

C4 make great paddles.. I found the ones that I used were a bit stiff.. but some like stiff.. I've heard the new Werner paddles will have more flex.

I like Kialoa's (Methane's) because of the spring in their shafts (and the shaft shape).. A good light paddle makes a huge difference.

The new small diameter shafts on the new Naish paddles feel good and their 8" wide (white blade) paddle is a very good price.. How tall and how heavy are you?

DJ

Lobes

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 08:10:09 PM »

found it too heavy and as DJ says a bit stiff

fumanii

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2011, 08:17:58 PM »

C4 make great paddles.. I found the ones that I used were a bit stiff.. but some like stiff.. I've heard the new Werner paddles will have more flex.

I like Kialoa's (Methane's) because of the spring in their shafts (and the shaft shape).. A good light paddle makes a huge difference.

The new small diameter shafts on the new Naish paddles feel good and their 8" wide (white blade) paddle is a very good price.. How tall and how heavy are you?

DJ
I am 5'10" and 185lbs.  How much are the Naish paddles? 

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 01:42:21 PM »

I am 5'10" and 185lbs.  How much are the Naish paddles?

I'm not sure about the price where you are but the Kialoa/Werner/QuickBlade paddles here (in Oz) are about $550.. The new Naish full Carbon (black blade) paddle is about $450.. and the new Naish white blade model is onle about $250.

DJ

OrlandoSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 04:51:05 PM »
I have tried a lot of paddles before I settled in on Quickblade. I use the 100 Elite for racing and training but I will occasionally use the new Magic paddle 90 if I am sore or want to take it easy. I also bought a kahana for surfing which is a partial carbon. I really like Jim Terrell and not only his paddle design but also the quality of construction. My two cents

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 05:24:47 PM »
Hi Mike,
There are a lot of good paddles out there now and it's best if you can try some different ones, cause everyone is a little different.  I wrote a post called "choosing the right paddle" that does not make reccomendations but covers what should know before making a purchase.
Check it out at:
http://zenwaterman.blogspot.com/2010/10/paddle-technique-part-1-choosing-right.html
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal