Author Topic: RUSTY=anti-sup?  (Read 128888 times)

juandoe

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: RUSTY=anti-sup?
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2011, 03:27:32 AM »
Here is the "graphic artist" response.  

"So, I am one of the graphic artists who helped on this advert. After seeing all you SUP guys whine on your forums I decided to make this post. I guess all you grouchy old men lose your sense of humor with every year you get older. It’s just a cartoon and if it had been the other way around you guys would have loved the ad. Grow a pair and get the sand out of your vaginas and learn to have a laugh. We have nothing against SUP’ers we were just poking fun at modern culture. Rusty is the man and he is all about SUP. No disrespect meant. Keep SUP’in and try not to knock out anymore groms on the inside, later old dudes!

One Love,
Goldy Locks"

posted on his blog
http://www.mattlovas.com/goldylocks/?tag=anti-sup

So far, the two Rusty representatives' responses I have seen have been less than contrite.  I am with Ponobill on this one, no Rusty for me.

Any bets on how long this blog will stay up?  Mr. Setzler, you should move this young man into the PR side as you have a real up and comer.  Rusty, please continue to insult my intelligence.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:54:19 AM by juandoe »

crtraveler

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2011, 06:00:02 AM »
I'm guessing Mr. Setzler may be looking for a job soon.......feeling obligated to personally apologize to Rusty.......yikes!  This is probably much bigger of a deal on the Rusty end than we are aware of.  Maybe he can find a suitable position in the SUP industry, since he is such an avid supporter :-\
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 06:08:30 AM by crtraveler »
Naish Mana 10' (currently water-logged in Costa Rica)
Fanatic Allwave 9'2"
Naish Glide 14'
Jamie Mitchell LK 12'6"
KeNalu Maliko + Wiki (soon)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2011, 07:21:18 AM »
Clueless little bugger, isn't he. "The other way around"? I assume that would mean a SUP surfer killing a shortboarder. That's what we get accused of every day. Yes, we'd absolutely love to see a moronic cartoon flogging that notion in a two page spread.

He is right about the "grouchy old" part though. At least for me. I'm simply unbearable when I'm sick. I'm amazed Diane is willing to put up with me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 07:30:08 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

1tuberider

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2011, 07:24:22 AM »
Bring it on!

I am painting a picture of a caveman on the bottom of my board holding his club paddle.  

Take that.  

I don't condone violence and yet every child sees hours of violence everyday with tv programing.  Most of us learn to choose right from wrong early in life.  The ad will not change us who think of doing right into doing something wrong.  

Get rid of the add and I will remove the caveman!  
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:48:35 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2011, 07:40:45 AM »
We're lightweights. Here a video of a protest against higher parking fees for motorcycles in Iceland:

Iceland motorcycle protest

Higher parking fees!!
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

WaikikiDairyQueen

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2011, 08:49:49 AM »
Today's kids came after you too, right?  No history, reap what you sow, fat wallets.  Lots of negativity.  Carry on.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Blue
There were 8 pages of negativity before I posted up. So you expect me to teach EVERY kid that came up behind me? Your a hoot. That like saying that school teachers don't have enough to do already and you have a dozen more kids,for her class to teach.

My point is Education. Bottom line, Surf Shops are in to make a $$, they give you Aloha when you walk in the door, stroke you better than a hooker could in a dirty ally way, grope you  one last time, send you on your way, and never TAUGHT you how to get that "good ole feeling" yet once again.
She never taught you, You never learned.

Surf shops as well as the manufactures need / should at least, have basic instructions on the use & handling of any surfing craft. Why? Because 50 years ago, there weren't the crowds that are here today. Again, there is no information, no instructions, no rules of the road that SHOULD be provided so no one becomes injured.

And if you go back and look at the names that I provided, those mentors who gave me cracks when I needed one hopefully made me a better person in the water. If none of them ring a bell, then we are, of a different time period.

Cheers

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2011, 08:54:04 AM »
Unbelievable.

I just posted on the artist's blog and it's "awaiting moderation"
In case they delete it, here is what I wrote:

I don't get this ad.  Can you please explain it to me?
How do the images relate to "Escape" and "take it easy"?
To me the aggression and violence portayed in this ad reflect all that is wrong with Surfing.  It does not really matter that it's directed towards an SUP'er, it's just the attitude that its cool to be aggressive and violent towards others in the lineup.
I guess Rusty is an old fart that should get the sand out of his vagina?
Get a life, Golidy Locks, this is total BS
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2011, 09:06:10 AM »
"Our intent with the ad in question was to incorporate a fun, humorous tone into our marketing, and we regret that some people were offended by our attempt at humor.  In no way does any of us at Rusty condone violence of any sort"...we just think its funny.

I was kinda stoked when I saw you register on the forum, because you had the opportunity to come here and tell us the only thing that would have helped:  We blew it, we let a passing inside thought become a published advertisement and we now recognize that this was a huge error.  We wish we could undo it.  Of course, we can't, so the best we can do is go directly to the venues where it was aired and correct it.  We will state there our participation in, and support for SUP and our disgust for violence having any role in the surf culture.

Instead we get a continuation of weakly playing both sides.  At some point Rusty will come forward and do this.  Better now than later.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 09:09:06 AM by Admin »

BigBlueSea

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2011, 09:36:49 AM »
DairyQueen,

As a now retired school teacher of 26 years I can tell you that education and violence have nothing in common.  All of my students called me "Mrs. Munroe" and without my ever needing to give a pink belly or cracks.  When you give or accept abuse, you perpetuate abuse.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2011, 09:57:06 AM »
Unbelievable.

I just posted on the artist's blog and it's "awaiting moderation"
In case they delete it, here is what I wrote:

I don't get this ad.  Can you please explain it to me?
How do the images relate to "Escape" and "take it easy"?
To me the aggression and violence portayed in this ad reflect all that is wrong with Surfing.  It does not really matter that it's directed towards an SUP'er, it's just the attitude that its cool to be aggressive and violent towards others in the lineup.
I guess Rusty is an old fart that should get the sand out of his vagina?
Get a life, Golidy Locks, this is total BS

I really get a kick out of the "poking fun at modern culture" line. That's the kind of thing designers say to defend the indefensible. And the twisted logic--we SUPers are a bunch of whiners with sand in our manginas, but Rusty SUPs and he da man. No disrespect meant, except for all the disrespect I'm spewing.

A true knucklehead. And a crappy designer. Derivative, unoriginal, and no sense of focus. The kind of work your eye just slides right past. No wonder they went for confrontational--otherwise no one would have looked at the lame work.  Hey Goldie, E squared = 0. When you emphasize everything you emphasize nothing.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 10:36:14 AM by PonoBill »

teach

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2011, 10:22:47 AM »
wow, you guys really took one between the eyes on that ad!    more proof that there are a whole lot of idiots in the world and some even get to publish their dumbness in national mags.    as to SUPs taking the heat, i think after 10 pages, it might be time to let it go,(or not).    I'm sure R dot is hosting a whole bunch of internal phone calls, e mails and stuff to figure how we will 'deal' with this.  but also for a company their size, it's just another speed bump in marketing.   

WaikikiDairyQueen

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »
So Big Blue? Your Parents never spanked you when you were a kid? I was taught politeness, Please & Thank you's, pass the butter dish , Please. You may controll what happens in your class room, but once outside, the kids are on a different roll.

Same for adults. If no instruction is given, then they as well, run rampant, as out in the ocean. Take a look for yourself, its a zoo. Words of advise, a helping hand, I'm all for it. But an out of controll driver on the 405 is another thing indeed, same in the ocean.

do your job and educate in the classroom and the ocean. I still try everyday, and, without the cracks.

cracks = a cuff on the back of the head with a "what are you doing"?
not a Cali Wedge beatdown that you seem to be pushing at .... which seems to go on alot now days.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2011, 11:13:54 AM »
As many of you know, there has been considerable discussion in this forum about Rusty's recent clothing ad featuring Josh Kerr in Surfer and Transworld Surf, and the perceived anti-SUP sentiment that accompanied the ad.  As a brand that takes our industry reputation very seriously, I wanted to personally respond to the concerns the ad has raised and reassure the surf and SUP community of its intent.  

Rusty has always been an authentic surf brand that strives to be innovative, make great product and, most importantly, have fun.   Our intent with the ad in question was to incorporate a fun, humorous tone into our marketing, and we regret that some people were offended by our attempt at humor.  In no way does any of us at Rusty condone violence of any sort - this has no place in our society.    That said, we have decided to pull the ad from all publications.

I'd also like to apologize to Rusty Preisendorfer and the crew at Rusty Surfboards for any criticism or negativity garnered from the ad.  Rusty has been on the forefront of surfboard innovation for years, and an icon in our industry.  He has been building SUPs for many years and is an avid SUP’er himself. While some of the criticism on this forum has been directed towards him, he was not involved in any way.  The same goes for the crew at Boardworks -- they were not party to our decision to run the ad either.  

All of us at Rusty are passionate about what we do.  We surf, skate, snowboard, wakeboard, SUP or some form of each, so we were very aware of the irony of the ad. While we may have missed the mark on this ad, we are certainly not anti-SUP and did not aim to upset anyone.  Through this process, I have seen a very passionate group and appreciate your dedication and energy regarding the issue.  We have taken your words to heart and encourage you to continue supporting the boardsports you love.

Sincerely,

Charlie Setzler
President
Rusty Clothing

Dear Mr. Setzler
I own a retail store in Canada and have carried Rusty clothing for many, many years.
I also sell SUP's.  
I had taken a wait and see approach with this ad, as I have been involved in the snowboard industry (I used to sell Rusty snowboards - look up how long ago that was) for over 25 years, and have seen many controversial ads.  

The ad in question was not an attempt to "incorporate a fun, humorous tone into our marketing" - it was a bunch of young dipshit surfers sitting around, deciding to make fun of us "sweepers" by showing the "surf community" how "core" they are.  
The fact that it made it to print ultimately lies squarely on your shoulders.

Your reply here on this forum is a joke.  As others have stated it is PR speak at its best.

By your reply - you - and the company you work for have lost me as a customer, and I am not just a customer who buys a pair of board shorts every once in a while - I am a store owner that will never order your product again.  

Warren Currie
owner
The Easy Rider Inc.

P.S. - you might want to take a look at how Quiksilver's Waterman Collection is doing (fastest growing segment of their business).  The sponsor SUP events, sponsor athletes, design product specifically for SUP, etc.   I am sure they will be more than happy to be getting your dollars.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 11:51:46 AM by Easy Rider »
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

BigBlueSea

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2011, 11:29:14 AM »
DairyQueen,

No, my parents never spanked.  My father was killed in service.   I was raised by a single mother was not of that mindset.  It is good that you have moved beyond the cracks and are becoming part of the solution.  The rest will be when you stop glorifying the old ways.  Much like the ad that is the subject of this thread, your earlier posts were confusing and sounded to support violence as a mechanism of instruction.

WaikikiDairyQueen

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2011, 12:01:24 PM »
Big Blue
Same here, but Father worked for Pan American Airways, but Mother never had a problem in setting me straight with a wooden clothes hanger.
A swat behind the head from doing something stupid always drove the point home for me when in the water. I don't condone violence, but it seems to be leaning in that direction on a daily basis, because of NOT being educated properly. Kids or ADULTS. 11 pages here and no ones learned anything yet. Whiners. Circle the wagons. Shortboarders are coming.

Admire you for being and Educator. Lord knows, it's an uphill battle for you on a daily basis.

cheers!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal