Author Topic: Pivot Turn - switch foot to goofy or what ?  (Read 5703 times)

pb12

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Pivot Turn - switch foot to goofy or what ?
« on: January 06, 2011, 07:48:24 PM »
Hi,

Bit of a (advancing) beginner but am catching waist to shoulder high waves on my AST Naish nalu 11-6.

Turning (quickly) for a wave is the  bit I'm struggling with most.

Switching to surf stance (natural foot) sink the tail and turn anti-clockwise with right hand strokes works pretty good . Can't seem to nail the technique for turning clockwise.
Do you
- switch to goofy foot, stroking on left?
- switch to natural foot and reach to the left and stroke on left.
- switch to natural foot and do draw strokes on the right.
- something else ?

Phil
PSH WAA 10'6"
Naish Glide 14'

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Pivot Turn - switch foot to goofy or what ?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 08:17:41 PM »
Man, I just switch sides with my paddle. The whole idea is to be in position to catch the wave, so that means be as close to your surf stance as possible. Hope that helps.

pb12

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 09:59:17 PM »
Man, I just switch sides with my paddle. The whole idea is to be in position to catch the wave, so that means be as close to your surf stance as possible. Hope that helps.

Yup, I guess thats this one ..........- switch to natural foot and reach to the left and stroke on left.
PSH WAA 10'6"
Naish Glide 14'

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 02:48:59 AM »
Hi,

Bit of a (advancing) beginner but am catching waist to shoulder high waves on my AST Naish nalu 11-6.

Switching to surf stance (natural foot) sink the tail and turn anti-clockwise with right hand strokes works pretty good . Can't seem to nail the technique for turning clockwise.
Do you
- something else ?

Phil

Yeah I just go into surf stance and paddle on the opposite side...your board has quite a bit of volume so you have to go way back to lift the nose up....it might be harder on a wider board I dunno..

actually today I caught myself in regular stance too...dunno how that happen...

pb12

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 10:31:56 AM »
Hi,

Do you
- something else ?

Phil

I practiced on flat water today. Something I probably should have done earlier. Much easier to work techniques out  than trying to practice in the surf !
- parallel stance then switch to goofy foot, stroking on left?..........this obviously feels odd but could be a good skill to have.
- parallel stance then switch to natural foot and reach to the left and stroke on left.............with some practise this becomes much easier. I hope once in the surf the practice will have helped.
- parallel stance then switch to natural foot and do draw strokes on the right............. sometimes when getting off balance this happens. I have a whitewater kayaking background so this type of blade work is quite natural.

The 11-6 Nalu seems to need a small hop then step back to get to the sweet spot for the pivot turn.

Phil
PSH WAA 10'6"
Naish Glide 14'

PeconicPuffin

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 05:33:54 AM »

The 11-6 Nalu seems to need a small hop then step back to get to the sweet spot for the pivot turn.

Phil

I'm on the same board (weigh 165)...I'm placing my front foot about a foot behind the hand hold when I'm making this turn.

alap

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 09:49:10 PM »
switch to the shorter board

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 09:19:27 PM »
hey there, a few thoughts...  i also have a kayaking background and use a lot of strokes from there. 

1) pivot turn
-use whichever foot stance that feels right for the situation
-practice on flat water, as you found for all your difficult strokes.  practice until you can step to the tail, and spin the board 180-360 in as few stroke as possible then return to your paddling stance without falling off. try on windy days or rougher water to get your sea legs.
-i use sweep strokes to turn. twist your torso, keep your lower arm straight, watch the blade! 
-tippy? use a low brace or sculling brace (face of blade down sculling for support).
-in the surf, use an incoming wave to try the pivot turn on.  start your sweep stroke when on the crest of the wave (non breaking). fun to do, you can spin the board super easy this way, can really help get turned around in time.

2) cross bow
the pivot turn isn't the only way to turn a board on a dime in surf.  on flat water, start paddling on one side then without switching hands, twist your torso and place the blade on the opposite side of the board.  know the dufek in ww?  twist your wrists back so the powerface faces forward, bending your knees helps.  this is a static stroke so hold the blade there. if you were moving before switching over, the board should turn quickly to the crossed over side.  so if you cross to the right, the board will go right. 
-practice your cross bow stroke using a reverse sweep stroke (use that torso).  watch the blade, keep a straight lower arm, which turns the board easier.  this also works in surf and is less tippy than a pivot turn, or risking falling off when you just want to turn the board. 

practice! 
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

awe

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 09:15:57 PM »
Rob,
Any vid. on the cross bow turn? Sounds interesting but I can't seem to see it.
Thanks

pb12

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 01:34:24 PM »
Yup Cross Bow, Duffek ............. I also call it a 'bow draw'.
I do use it quite a bit to redirect the nose without taking time to switch sides with the paddle and avoid losing speed. Especially when paddling out.

Time on the water since posing the question is helping and I'm finding I'm using quite a combination of techniques

I find Ken Whiting explains kayak strokes pretty well .  see
http://www.paddling.net/guidelines/showArticle.html?203

Phil

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 01:36:57 PM by pb12 »
PSH WAA 10'6"
Naish Glide 14'

pb12

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 05:12:15 PM »
This is more like the technique rob talks about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llcyDpOPKsw

Phil
PSH WAA 10'6"
Naish Glide 14'

surfnpoppy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 10:59:32 PM »
Nikki Gregg SUP Cross bow turn

Nikki Gregg SUP cross bow turn

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal