Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Downwind and Racing / Re: What would you ask Michael Booth?
« Last post by ukgm on Today at 01:48:57 AM »
Not as muscled up as Boothy for a lightweight very lean rider 140-160 lbs -> but has plenty with very low body fat mass.  Any of the top pros have about the same BF% ie very low probs top 3% and def below the -2SD line.  This is key with adequate muscle mass then endurance.  Light weight muscled up with endurance balance technique skill willpower etc is hard to beat.  Boothy and Travis etc can get it done at higher BW but they also have very low fat mass ie. very good strength to weight -> and very good power to weight ratios.  Kai is so busy with other watersports but still has time to go to the gym plus do HIIE like any top elite endurance athlete. Oh here is pic of small and skinny Kai.  ;)

"For me, training is really fun, as my gym is the entire island of Maui. I work out in a physical gym three times a week and also on the beach doing runs in soft sand along with other exercises during the run. I also spend so much time on the water surfing, windsurfing, kitesurfing, standup paddling, canoe surfing—you name it."

"The workout is awesome because you use the natural terrain to torture yourself—tree limbs for pull ups, soft sand hills for sprints, deep sand for running, and waist-deep water for sprints when you really want to push."

http://www.grindtv.com/wellness/world-champion-paddleboarder-kai-lenny-shares-his-fitness-routine/#DLcVl814sPWEK84e.97

I doubt that's 3%. Even a tour cyclist or bodybuilder can't maintain that long for safety reasons. It's probably around 5. Impressive though. One thing I would suggest us the diversity of sup athlete background being what it is, I wouldn't read too much into what everyone does until you get another 5-10 years worth of natural selection and a fresh generation of paddlers.
« Last post by Area 10 on Today at 12:59:22 AM »
This conversation has got a very '80s feel about it ;)

Don't spend too much time stroking your biceps in the mirror, guys :)
Sneak Peeks, Rumors, and Wish Lists / Re: Jimmy Lewis Unlimited..
« Last post by Area 10 on Today at 12:49:58 AM »
IMO needing a rudder up to 17ft isn't about length it's about volume and rail shape. There is no problem steering a board without a rudder if you can carve. But most current UL boards have rails that are so chunky that this is not possible. You are just a passenger on a boat. So a rudder is of benefit - at least in some conditions. There are some DW conditions (big, steep, messy short period) where you'll be always right on the tail when on a bump so a rudder isn't much help: it's either foot steer or not steer. But I realise that you guys probably won't accept this, because you've only ever tried thick-railed high-volume UL boards so you know no different, and you DW in conditions where you can steer on a bump from towards the middle of the board without pearling.
Random / Re: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]
« Last post by headmount on Today at 12:21:50 AM »
I saw the Gorsuch hearing and he appeared qualified and spoke eloquently.  In these times just hearing someone speak like that is refreshing.  But because those Dems on the hill are still steaming mad that Garland wasn't even given a hearing, they're not going to be rational about Gorsuch's nomination.  Revenge is a fact of life in DC. and it doesn't help that the current President seems to be setting the rules of the political game with that us vs them paradigm.  He relishes in the bully role and openly flaunts his vindictiveness.   So the atmosphere is as bad as it can possibly be right now for any conciliatory overtures.  A good man will meet strong resistance though he will possibly slide through if Dems are smart, in order to block the next appointment if Ginsburg doesn't last.

This Ryan/Trumpcare also failed because of Trump's inability to build a consensus with his own party before he went to bat.  He had no idea how to close the deal.  If he could have at least communicated with some Dems to help him out, those wackos on the far right (Freedom/Tea party) might not have felt so emboldened to challenge him.  As was, he called the Dems every name in the book and tried to be the tough guy with the wacko right.  Ryan isn't in the Tea party fold and they felt bullied.  They're wackos but don't like being bullied.  So he failed.   

People voted for him because he wasn't a politician and I can dig that but as we can see now, you got to be able to play the game.  Reagan was a movie star but adjusted well to that ability.  I'm not one who thought he was some kind of GOP god but he did know how to reach across the isle.  This is what a President should do.  With the increasing amount of smoke surrounding him, anything he tries to do will be a severe challenge.

The Tea party continues to be the wild card that is essentially creating a three party circus.  The were the GOP's attack dog during the Obama years but now they're off the leash.

Sneak Peeks, Rumors, and Wish Lists / Re: Jimmy Lewis Unlimited..
« Last post by headmount on March 24, 2017, 10:46:10 PM »
Jimmy's tired of Boyum beating him. I am too, but a board ain't gonna fix that.

He's making that board for some other guy not himself.  I'm pretty sure he'll put a rudder on it.  Anything 16 and over needs one.  Meanwhile he does damn well on his 14. 
General Discussion / Re: Charleston and Seattle Zoners
« Last post by GingerRawrrgers on March 24, 2017, 10:42:27 PM »
I love Seattle--grew up there and still spend lots of time there.  Housing affordability is the big issue, as has already been said. Lots of Portlanders have a weird hatred of Seattle, maybe because they can't admit it's as good or better in many things Portland thinks too highly of itself for.  Best thing about Seattle is its natural setting---Lake Washington and Sound, with mountains all around.  Yes, there's all kinds of things within a few hours' drive, but also plenty to like within the city. But today, I might choose a smaller city near Seattle.  Tacoma is vastly underrated.  Bellingham is great.  Anywhere in Puget Sound is great.  Then go into Seattle for your big-city fix--or better yet, go to Vancouver (BC, not WA!) for one of the world's great cosmopolitan cities.

And I paddle (not surf) in the Sound all summer in board shorts, and sometimes swim (but that takes some easing in).  Coming back here after being in Lake Washington or the Sound, the Willamette feels like a sewer.

THIS. I lived in Seattle for 7 years and left for LA because of my job. I miss the PNW so much it hurts sometimes, and it's been 2 years I've been gone now. (That's the Seattle skyline from West Seattle in my photo) I loved paddling Puget Sound, year round. And there are plenty of other great paddle destinations within easy driving distance. The housing cost is absurd, but I feel like that's the case just about everywhere outside the midwest these days. Like any big cities it's got its problems, but there's plenty to love too. 
General Discussion / Re: Springtime is here.
« Last post by lpmaui on March 24, 2017, 10:02:10 PM »
Maui, same as most of the year......Perfect
« Last post by Eagle on March 24, 2017, 09:27:40 PM »
"I did the workout once with Dave and his cousin Junya, and spent the next six days sleeping on the couch with massive ab and general core cramps. I couldn't lay down to get a massage."

Haha!  Ab workouts are the best.  Burn baby burn!  Is the last set I do and despise them yet love them at the same time.  Sadistic yes very.

All the stuff these guys do is perfect for SUP.  They are the pros and on top and stay on top for good reason.  Strength trained to the max with no bs.  Hardcore the way it should be.  Perfect.

Average joes are just average joes.  These guys get results.   ;D
Random / Re: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]
« Last post by mjb1959 on March 24, 2017, 08:20:28 PM »
good points ponobill,
bush lead to obama and his actions did bring us to trump.

i for one was against this bill.
i say let obamacare fail, and then repeal with no pressure to replace...

and as i told all my friends, the supreme court was the only reason i needed to support trump.
fyi i voted for a dem for sherrif and county recorder here in az.
what really amazes me are the "down the line libs and cons"
SUP Sports / Re: Team Riders
« Last post by Night Wing on March 24, 2017, 07:41:47 PM »
I do have a fondness for seafoam green boards.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

* Recent Posts

* Recent Topics