Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Classifieds / Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
« Last post by kliss99 on Today at 05:01:39 AM »
OBO
Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP / Re: Need a new Impact Vest
« Last post by PonoBill on April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM »
I got mine from ProMotion in Hood River. It's the best I've tried by a long shot, and I've tried a lot. They're on sale for about half what I paid. They make a vest for wingfoiling, but this one is great. It has a cummerbund to pull the vest tight around your waist and make it easy to zip, then you can tighten the cummerbund a bit more and it won't ride up no matter what you do. I added belt loops and a belt for the NSI harness hook and bolted a kite recoil leash to the back. Having my leash and harness permanently attached to the vest ensures that I wear it. I've been using it for three years and if it comes apart I'll replace it with exactly the same stuff. https://stores.wetsuit.com/kite-vest-red-d51/
« Last post by B-Walnut on April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM »
I think it depends on how bad you intend to fall ;D

99% of the time I would argue the cheap one does everything you'd want it to do. However, I did, once, in my 300ish sessions, taco backwards onto my foil. The foil cut straight through my neoprene and across my spine. No real injury other than bad bruising/blood blistering. The more expensive one will not be cut down. It has thin plates of plastic "armor" in it.

So, the cheaper one will be equivalent to anything else on the market for protection. The more expensive one is for folks who ride with reckless abandon!
« Last post by spindrift on April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM »
Hey B-Walnut, thanks for fast reply. There is $65 difference between the two WiPs. Is the more expensive one worth the extra bucks?
« Last post by B-Walnut on April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM »
One of these will be my next:
https://www.forward-wip.com/produit/wing-neo-vest-50n/
https://www.forward-wip.com/produit/wing-impact-vest-50n/

I currently ride this:
https://www.forward-wip.com/produit/impact-vest-50n/
I love it, phenomenal, but it doesn't have the nice wing related details included.

I like it a lot because it doesn't hold water, the pocket in the front and water bladder pouch is nice on big days. Great actual protection, not just extra neoprene. Only thing I dislike is the size zip which is a bit awkward for me.
Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP / Need a new Impact Vest
« Last post by spindrift on April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM »
What impact vest do you like for wing foiling and why? I use a coil leash and harness hook on a belt. So far I've been looking at Mystic and Ion.
Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP / Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
« Last post by kiteboarder on April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM »
Thanks for the feedback @B-Walnut. I'm not worried about span but I'll check anyway. I live in San Diego so I have to fly big wings all the time. I fly a 6.5 SLS often and I can do just about everything on it as I do on the more fun 5.0. But we get storms, and I travel sometimes, so I'll fly 3.5, 4.5, 5.0, 6.0, 6.5... etc.

The SLS is a good wing. I feel it's probably better than the new MOD3 (2023), but maybe not as good as the latest 2024. I didn't count how many session I got out of it, but it must have been about 50 sessions or more. I mean, I used it for about a year locally at about .8 sessions per week on average; flew it in Maui for maybe 10 sessions. I would guess 50-60, yeah. I think it broke a little too soon. I mean, the canopy was fine, but the leading edge ripped at the seam at the recommended PSI (I fill with a Duotone pump with a gauge) and the bladder went with it. I can expect it would about about $250 to fix it including the bladder. I might. I don't leave it out in the sun, so I was a little concerned that it happened so soon. All my other wings are Duotones and I have a few older ones that are still going.
« Last post by B-Walnut on April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM »
It might be similar, but it's been a long time since I rode the slick big boom.

How many sessions did you get out of your SLS? That would be worth looking at.

I'd also check span, when wings get bigger, span becomes more important to me. You might be bummed if you ordered the Glide and the span was wider. However, you might be thrilled if you ordered and the span was shorter.
« Last post by kiteboarder on April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM »
Thanks. I wonder how fat the boom is compared to the Duotone carbon (blue) boom. I feel that one is pretty thick compared to their "SLS" pink one. But it's fine for me. Anyway, I saw that Green Hat, Real and a least one other store has the 5m Glide for about $1343 (plus the cost of the boom). My 5m Slick SLS popped. So it's either going to be $1500 or so for the Glide + Boom, or just $800 for the single SLS. Not sure I can justify the extra $700 given I've generally been very happy with the SLSs. I have a 3.5, the 5M that popped after a lot of use, and a 6.5 that I currently fly a lot.
« Last post by B-Walnut on April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM »
Someone told me the draft moved (forward or back, I forgot) between the 2021 release and newer ones. The newer ones have the same graphics, but the yellow is a different shade.

The drawback, per my friends who upgraded to the carbon handles and booms, is the massively fat grip on the boom. The handles have a skinnier grip. But both are hard on the hands because they are just sprayed with non-skid clear traction. One friend covered his with hockey tape.

They are lighter than the Duotones. Probably because they went extreme, like the lack of EVA grip on the booms.

Maybe they will fix the booms and go skinner. Right now it’s ridiculous how fat the boom is.

I agree with this, I checked out the boom and the handles at the shop and the boom was a no for me based on the thickness. The handles haven't bothered my hands as far as I can tell though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal