Author Topic: AnyBody SUP Wave Rod SUP Boards...  (Read 12161 times)

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
AnyBody SUP Wave Rod SUP Boards...
« on: December 02, 2008, 02:54:04 PM »
Any comments on them...  Dave

Richard

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: AnyBody SUP Wave Rod SUP Boards...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 09:09:47 AM »
Hi, Super Dave.  I recently tried a Waverod 10' Rip Stick model and thought it was an excellent board. Very light and responsive and it seemed strongly built. From my short time on board, I would say that it is very worthy of your consideration.

Best regards,

Richard
Atlantic Beach, NC

CHill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Ohana Paddle Sports
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 11:16:55 AM »
Super Dave I have a 10'10" model and have surfed the 10' model the 10'10" is super stable but not very performance driven the 10' is a much better model. I have not used my 10'10" in over a year because after going smaller and narrower it seems like a beast my wife uses it on our flat water paddles and in small waves great for a beginer very stable the boards seem to ding fairly easy  a friend of mine has both models and has had the same problems. The thing I was most impresed with was the owner Jeremy got to surf with him 2 times last year when he was in town the guy is very very good and a super nice person. I think you would like the 10' model.    Chris   Also in N.C.

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 03:36:40 AM »
Thanks Guys your right Jeramy is a good guy.. He spent the summer here and stepped up everybodys stand up efficiency,,I also think he won a SUP contest in Cardiff Cali, Beat guys like Bonga Perkins...Im not uverwhelmed with his production boards, But his custom board do ride exellent... Dave

Tom English

• Peahi Status
  • Paddle with Aloha SUP
    • View Profile
    • Aloha Stand Up Paddle
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 04:23:37 AM »
Jeremy is a nice guy and great surfer.
Aloha,
Tom English
Aloha,
Tom English

hawaiian.style

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 08:55:10 AM »
I've never tried one before, but I've heard that the production models are just "ok".  to be honest, I might have considered getting when when I first picked up the sport, but the designs on the production models... not very appealing.  too bad they didn't have them in a one color solid, or just clear/white.

Tony DaKine

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 12:54:36 PM »
I'm not making any conclusions but it's interesting to note that the production Wave Rods are uncanny in their resemblance to the Sean Ordonez boards, not to mention the board featured in the above pics looks exactly like Joe Blair's custom shapes - same outline, nose rocker, and even the way Joe fits the deck pad.

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 04:31:59 PM »
"it's interesting to note that the production Wave Rods are uncanny in their resemblance to the Sean Ordonez boards"  I was wondering about that too- the lengths are the same: 11'11" and 10'10"

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 08:25:52 PM »
I have surfed his 10 ft model custom, I do  think it was the 10 ft!! I liked it but a bit too thick for me.. I liked his fin set up. Made the tail real loose something i have played with with my boards in smaller waves his  10 ft custom was like surfing with three 4 in thrusters.????.  i need a lil more fin for bigger waves.. like two 3.1/2 in thrusters and a six in cut away .. for my 8/10..His dogs surf well too..

MichaelF

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2008, 10:58:14 PM »
NO doubt that Jeremey is a great surfer but...

Hmmmm

Looks like a Joe Blair Board to me...  A board is like a fingerprint. 

If you look at the lineage of the www.waverod.com boards, where did this board come from?

Saw it the other day out in the line up and thought that it was strange to see a Joe Blair shape with WaveRod sticker on it. 

You can make up your own mind.

http://www.jblairsurf.com/Paddle_Surfboards.html 
---------------------------------

Medical Breakthrough

The shorter stand-up is faster; turns quicker and is way more manageable than bigger ones. Once you ride one and try to go back to your 10' it gets in it's own way and you screw up your ride.

They really don't paddle that much slower than the bigger ones. Turning the board to catch the wave is way easier an quicker. Dropping in late is way easier and being smaller you can on it quicker and rip the wave way - way better.

I have full concave going into double concave with "V" in the tail. This makes the board faster. I also have a speed spot between your feet so it is faster. Very important is that I have softer rails going back further so the board is smoother and more maneuverable. My fins are moved up 4" further than all other manufacturers so the board is quicker turning.

These boards are big so you have to totally re-think fin placement. The back fin has a 10" box so you can cluster the fins together for tighter turns in smaller surf or move the fin back for overhead waves like a semi-gun. The adjustable gives this board a much bigger range. I have found that 3 fins (4 - 5/8") all the way around works best. The 2 + 1 has small fins on the sides which gives no punch and the 9.5" center fin in the back makes it stiff turning.

The round pin is 3 times better than a squash or swallow tail because round pins eliminate the 12" of straight rail in the tail right where you need curve to get tighter and quicker turns. The round pin rolls into turns quicker, smoother, and hangs in better when going fast. Ridding smaller boards has made this incredible sport way better than it already is. Thanks for the aloha Laird!!!

Just try one and you'll never look back.

Call (760) 809-9074 to take one for a spin at cardiff reef.

Aloha,

J. Blair

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 11:22:42 PM by MichaelF »

StandUpPaddleSurf.net

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 12:47:43 PM »
NO doubt that Jeremey is a great surfer but...

Hmmmm

Looks like a Joe Blair Board to me...  A board is like a fingerprint. 

If you look at the lineage of the www.waverod.com boards, where did this board come from?

Saw it the other day out in the line up and thought that it was strange to see a Joe Blair shape with WaveRod sticker on it. 

You can make up your own mind.

These look mighty similar...
A picture I shot of Joe Blair's 8'9" SUP

Wave Rod?

Side view of my Blair...

Wave Rod?

Jeremy is a nice guy and great surfer.
Aloha,
Tom English

Here's all the pics I shot of Blair's board:
http://www.standuppaddlesurf.net/2008/04/10/joe-blair-8-9-stand-up-paddle-board-video/

Tom - Please ask Jeremy to join this thread and clear up the confusion.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 01:30:09 PM by StandUpPaddleSurf.net »

SUPer Dave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 01:45:06 PM »
Hey I got to do a pass off with one of his dogs..Was surfing at my home break Jeramy was out with two dogs, We were on the same wave i surfed up grabbed a dog put him on my board surfed for a bit then came up along side and put the dog back on !! was cool i think his wife got it on Vidio !! DAVE

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal