Author Topic: 14' race SUP wind powered  (Read 14001 times)

Pierre

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
14' race SUP wind powered
« on: November 16, 2010, 02:09:30 PM »
Hi all,

I tried out my 14 footer with sail...
stocked.
Advantage: my board's fitted with a centerboard, much easier for getting upwind
planing ability when going downwind is not bad . a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 02:11:01 PM by Pierre »
\HF/- Hi-Fun Hydroworks / custom boards,BZH, since 1982  /  *Link Removed*

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
Re: 14' race SUP wind powered
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 07:02:04 AM »
Did you make that yourself?  Looks nice!
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 08:31:14 AM »
Very cool. I considered having a mast nut put into my Maliko 14, but I'm not sure how I would turn it. Its unresponsive to rail pressure.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 01:31:27 PM »
Very nice.. IMO.. I'd only use the centerboard in very light/non planning conditions (like 5 knots) and once you can plane.. or even move with some speed.. you don't need the centerboard and it will be more trouble than it's worth.

Here's a short vid that I did sailing my 14' Naish Glide in light winds where most boards would not even get planning and the 14'er gets up and going without a problem.. Fin shape and size is pretty important but you really don't need a centerboard.

DJ

Marksride

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 04:14:23 PM »
That actually looks like fun, I may even do the same thing once the ice melts.

dennis oates

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 12:23:50 PM »
Wow, I am am in the design process of a 14' race type - constructed of plywood.  Just this morning I was wondering if it would be worth putting a mast track on it.  I have been thinking of a CLC Kaholo knock off but yours looks even faster.  I would love to have more details, construction photos, paddling review and basically anything you will share about your board.

Thanks in Advance

Dennis

Pierre

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 03:27:40 PM »
Wow, I am am in the design process of a 14' race type - constructed of plywood.  Just this morning I was wondering if it would be worth putting a mast track on it.  I have been thinking of a CLC Kaholo knock off but yours looks even faster.  I would love to have more details, construction photos, paddling review and basically anything you will share about your board.

Thanks in Advance

Dennis
Hi Dennis
some pix here
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=7938.0
there is no mast track, just a nut inserted ahead of centerboard hole
almost no structure inside board.. it's a little heavy but paddles well also.. the only race I did I won it - abt 7 miles_

dennis oates

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 07:40:44 PM »
Thanks Pierre,

Great looking board! Now I am even more excited about building my own.  Can you tell me a little more?

1) how wide is it?
2) how thick at its thickest, how thick at the tip of the bow?
3) is the center back bone the only structure? no ribs?  do you feel like that is enough?  it looks like it is
4) when you say regular plywood - it looks like what we call Luan - are you able to get it without voids in the center?
5) how did you capture the nut for the mast foot?
6) have you sailed it much? would put the center board in if you were doing it again

You should post this over on the Tree to Sea forum,  I think there would be some interest.

Thanks again for your reply

Pierre

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 03:11:06 PM »
Thanks Pierre,

Great looking board! Now I am even more excited about building my own.  Can you tell me a little more?

1) how wide is it?- 28"1/2
2) how thick at its thickest, how thick at the tip of the bow?- abt 5 " at most and 3"at tip of bow ( which is not enough)
3) is the center back bone the only structure? no ribs?  do you feel like that is enough?  it looks like it is
- yes this is only structure except few small ribs under deck where I put my feet. I v'e been using it in small surf and with a glass over it and inside epoxy coat it looks still OK after 10 months. At the beginning some water went inside, I found the leakage, repaired it, now i open at times 2 crews in transom, never a single drop of water.
4) when you say regular plywood - it looks like what we call Luan - are you able to get it without voids in the center?- this one was OK, I bought 2 sheets 10'x5'. of course to coat and glass it with epoxy is very important.
5) how did you capture the nut for the mast foot?- inserted in the center structure, sealed in epoxy putty. ( I used a waxed bolt to fit it)
6) have you sailed it much? would put the center board in if you were doing it again-
No I sailed only twice, it's mostly a SUP board and I have some others windsurfing boards. yes I put the centerboard for upwind performance. I just remove it and keep it in my hand when wind abeam or abaft.

Thanks again for your reply

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal