Author Topic: Best SUP Surfboard???  (Read 35677 times)

VB

Re: Best SUP Surfboard???
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 04:24:29 PM »
Crtraveler is right on.  I jumped on the sub 9 ft. bandwagon a little too soon.  Now I am back on my big board the majority of the time.  IMHO the East coast requires a bigger board on most days.  But, it is nice to have a shorty for those days when the waves do pick-up and you feel like ripping it.   

Roundhouse

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 05:59:09 AM »
I started with a 11’6 Naish on the East coast and after a less than year wanted something shorter to surf and keep the big board for flatwater. I am about your size but probably older and surfed here in Cocoa Beach since I was a little kid. I had a new fun shape I figured would never be ridden again and horse traded it for a C4 9’6 Subvector, being the only 9 foot something board (short at the time) in our largest SUP shop. Although a great riding board, it barely floated me and was much more unstable paddling. I understand  the 9’3” Subvector is a better choice for bigger guys.

Two weeks later I stumbled on a 9’5 Naish Mana on Craig’s list and have had a blast on it. Sold the 9’6 Subvector yesterday for a very significant loss to a young guy who will probably have a great time with it. I am enjoying cross footing, nose riding and occasional lip smack on the Naish in our typical East coast dribble. Moral of the story, it gets expensive buying a board too small or progressive for you or the waves you ride.
Naish Nalu, Mana, Glide & Cannibal Assassin

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 06:04:41 PM »
Check out the Perfect Wave 9'8"x30"x5"  Quad Fish.

Pic here..
http://tinyurl.com/22rzxga

http://perfectwave.com
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 06:16:59 PM by robcasey »
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 12:21:40 AM »
I know this is an old post but check out the Blue Planet Chips:

8'6 x 32 Potato Chip
8'0 x 31 Taro Chip
7'6 x 30 Micro Chip

http://blueplanetsurf.com
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 03:29:29 AM »
I would recommend a King's Laser, I have a Custom and it's absolutely the best in the most often East Coast slop (and of course it rips in the clean big waves we occasionally get as well).

http://www.kingspaddlesports.com/laser-1/

Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2016, 06:44:30 AM »
holy thread revival....6 years!

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 06:47:53 AM by NorthJerzSurfer »

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 11:42:26 AM »

supthecreek

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 01:07:45 PM »
Cool to see the chatter from 6 years ago..... and see old Zoners resurrected  :)

bajasurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2016, 03:38:48 PM »
You are in Orlando, Florida.  Check out Skip Smith, he is up the coast.  He makes custom surfing SUPs and his boards really rock ! I mean they rip, and he is also a ripper on his SUPs. Theres lots of boards to choose from, and everyone has their favorite, but its subjective to their skill and experience level.  The best bet is really talking to your shaper, and he sees how you surf, and then builds you a custom HQ stick, now thats is the way to go.  Also you can visit him and he has a few lenders so you can give them a go...His website is http://s3sup.com and his email is  skipinjb@icloud.com  Another thing about Skip.  A new custom SUP will cost you around $1200-$1300.  Its crazy what guys pay for imported boards, even if they are worth it...

If you  are on the East Coast try Kirk at L41 SUPs.  Kirk is also a ripper and a awesome board shaper..

Even though I haven't surfed them I have heard great things about the Speed SUP. 

Now I will get blasted because there so many good boards to choose from.  Oh yea, great things from Jimmy Lewis.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2016, 04:03:21 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the input. Now I just need to find a place that will let me test out these boards  ;D

Where do you surf, Cocoa Beach or New Smyrna?

If cocoa, you can always demo any of my boards. Not sure I'm allowed to post my web site, so you'll have to private message me. I'm a shaper in cocoa beach.

Glenn B

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2016, 02:03:16 PM »
DW - I'd love to demo one of your boards when I'm next in Melbourne, Fl to visit my daughter, and I'm wondering about the "speed chine" rail referenced on your website.  Care to share your thoughts on rail theory and general dimensions?
Thank you,
Glenn

SaltH2Opaddler

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2016, 06:24:21 AM »
Hi,

I have been SUPing for a while, but mostly distance paddling or racing. I recently started to do more SUP surfing. I have surfed all my life and competitively when I was a kid. I tried to ride my Laid 12'1 but it is like driving a locomotive train down the line. I want to buy a dedicated surf SUP board that will perform more like a short board with a high level of performance and response, but I am not sure which one to get so I am looking for some guidance. I was looking at either the Rusty 9'8 the Gerry Lopez 9'6 or the PSH 9'3 ripper. I am open to other boards as well. I am 5'11 and weigh 180 and I will mostly be using this board on the Florida east coast. Thoughts?

The lengths you mentioned at your size will not surf like a shortboard at all!! If it is a dedicated surf sup then you should try going as small as you can after demoing as many as you can. You have to be ready/up for the challenge if you want a shortboard feel. I am close in dim's(5'10/165-170/40yrs young) and live in S. FL. I currently ride a 7'7 x 27" 95l as my go to board. Just moved down in size a few months ago after riding an 8'0 x 28" 96l for about 8 months. Before that I had a 8'4 x 31". It all depends on how much effort you want to put out during a session. I am not a fan of wide boards anymore. I think they feel way too sluggish on a wave. My advice would be to go as narrow as possible and keep a little length for paddle speed. Good luck in your search
Custom Infinity BLine 7'8 x 26.5 89l
Custom Infinity BLine 7'11 x 28 97l
Custom Infinity Asym. Gun 8'10 x 27.5 110l
2016 Starboard Enduro Carbon oval stiff
Kialoa Methane(back up paddle)
5'10
175 lbs

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2016, 06:37:40 AM »