Author Topic: Fin Jigs, buying or making.  (Read 13953 times)

Fanman

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Fin Jigs, buying or making.
« on: April 07, 2017, 06:05:20 PM »
Anybody making there own fin installation jigs, or just buying from suppliers?
So many fin options out there. It cost a fortune if you want to carry them all!
What to do?
Thx,
Fanman

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
Re: Fin Jigs, buying or making.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 06:16:18 PM »
They give them away if you get setup direct. Mine were free.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 05:20:04 AM »
Good for you Dwight.

I made my own stuff for installing FCS 1/4" tab stuff -marking jigs and dummy fins- to use along with normal tools like Forstner bits, hole saws, etc.

I made my own plywood router templates for Bahne channels and HD inserts.

I bought the kits for Probox, Gearbox2, and Futures.

The Futures One-Pass kit was a little spendy retail but I already had a compatible router and it does works slick. There was a recent thread on Swaylocks discussing the possibility of DIY Futures. I see it as totally possible with the one-pass bits. But the bits are 90-100 US and the whole kit with the alu plate and target and stuff minus the router is 160-ish so the bang for buck seems to be with genuine kit.

If I have to/get to use FCS2 I will probably make my own router template.
http://pushheretosavealife.com/
Be safe, have fun. -J

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 07:08:05 AM »
I just made templates for installing some mast bases in the boards I'm putting the Geezer Foil 2 and more typical foils on. I don't do this often, so I forgot that the template needs to be just the right thickness to keep the bearing on the template and not on the glass. Try #1 was with 1/2" plywood, which required two passes to cut the glass and then the foam. Try #2 was with some 1/8" plexiglass I had. forgot what a bitch that is to cut since it melts on the blade and re-fuses behind the cut. Fortunately, I have some 1/8 ply that I didn't want to cut up, but I sacrificed a corner. Three hours to do a half hour job. Typical.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 07:46:27 AM »
Pono, your process sounds alot like mine...

I just did the same thing last week. I tried using 1/8" Masonite as a jig for a 1/2" top bearing flush router bit. I ended up having to put a couple pieces of .040" veneer under the template to make room for the carbides to get above the work and keeping the bearing on the template. I also learned that I have to tighten the bits better or they will slide around in the collet too. It was a new 1/2" router so it may have been a bit greasy in the 1/4" adapter.

The Probox and other molded jigs use a bit with a larger-than-cutter bearing so the template is not at risk of being damaged as the depth of cut is changed.
Be safe, have fun. -J

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 08:11:36 AM »
I've been sitting on a set of drawings for a year of futures and bahne box templates for 3.5" trim routers.

Need to get them into dwg format and test so I can open source them. Thinking of buying a cheap laser cutter and making them out of 3-4 mil ply.

Anyone want a set? Might get me off my butt.

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 09:00:07 AM »
Cowboy, I am not in the market for those...but I would be willing to make one to help with open source proof of concept.
Once you have it as CAD data I can run a set through my small CNC router. PM me if you want/need details, etc.
How much laser do you need for 3-4mm plywood?
Be safe, have fun. -J

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 12:49:35 PM »
I'm still waiting for my glowforge. It's only been two years. I could knock templates out in minutes...  ...if I only had one. They say shipping to Kickstarter folks in July and August. I'm not holding my breath.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 04:21:04 PM »
Jrandy I'll see if I can get these to you.

I'd love to see how they fit. You can cut the thin ply with a fairly cheap rig.

Pono, the Chinese ones with software you have to mess with (not much I hear) are down to $250.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 07:57:04 PM »
I use my smaller 7/8 hp Porter Cable router for almost everything. 1/2" straight bit with with template guide. I have probably 40 or more lock and hinge templates, so I'm use to this set-up. I threw together these two fin box templates in minutes. They work fine. The long box template works with round router plate and the futures works with a template guide. Using the router plate guide gives you tighter corners.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 08:05:43 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Biggreen

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 08:49:45 PM »
I use my smaller 7/8 hp Porter Cable router for almost everything. 1/2" straight bit with with template guide. I have probably 40 or more lock and hinge templates, so I'm use to this set-up. I threw together these two fin box templates in minutes. They work fine. The long box template works with round router plate and the futures works with a template guide. Using the router plate guide gives you tighter corners.

That 7/8 hp Porter Cable is a classic and hard to beat. I've been through a bunch and loved them all. Like many I've made some and bought some. But Cowboy, get off your butt and send some stuff out to your buddies! Might get you a board! And put your logo on them, that'd be cool!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 09:38:05 PM »
Wait, what? I've been making templates for bits with a bearing on them. Doesn't work that well since you can only adjust the bit for the length of the bearing minus enough to stay in the template. I've considered shrinking a long sleeve onto the bearing, but how does that setup work? Looks like you're using the base of the router to guide the bit??

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 11:45:42 PM »
I rarely use bits with a bearing guide. Some of my moulding and laminate bits have bearings, but with a jig or template I use a router guide or the outer edge of the base plate.

I tried to add an image, but the '+Attachment and other options' aint workin.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 12:54:08 AM »
Wait, what? I've been making templates for bits with a bearing on them. Doesn't work that well since you can only adjust the bit for the length of the bearing minus enough to stay in the template. I've considered shrinking a long sleeve onto the bearing, but how does that setup work? Looks like you're using the base of the router to guide the bit??

Here's Norm explaining how to set up a template guide in a plunge router.

https://youtu.be/zSPFa3gI_aM?t=10m22s

The outside of the base can be used to follow a template, that's what the top picture in TallDude's template is for.  But you will like the template guide system better. 

Don't EVER modify ANYTHING on a router Bill.  Call Bob or me first. 
Routers can do a LOT of stuff and the parts needed are all available.
Vacuum setups are great for plunge routing.  Clear plastic ones are available for most models.     

Support your local shaper

jrandy

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 07:26:24 AM »
TD and LPB-thanks for the tips, pictures, and video!

So the bushings function like a top bearing bit but allow for infinite depth control and guided plunging regardless of the template thickness, provided the cutter is long enough and the template is thicker than the guide land of the bushing. The router would also have to have a compatible base and the hole in the base would need to be concentric to the collet/cutter.

Woodcraft's router bushing kit seems to be dialed in for .250" templates...too bad my local 1/4" Masonite is .220".
They also sell singles. Maybe I'll get a single bushing and locking ring that can take a 1/2" OD cutter and have a machinist at work grind it down to .200" guide land.

I just saw this article. It has a couple neat pictures and reminds one which direction to rout when using templates.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodworking-tips/techniques/routing/understanding-guide-bushings/
Be safe, have fun. -J

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal