Author Topic: portable showers for my SUP  (Read 37710 times)

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
portable showers for my SUP
« on: April 03, 2017, 04:48:51 PM »
I've see someone with the Rinseskit down at the bay washing his board down and I really like the idea of rinsing my board before I put it up on the rack and drive home. The Rinsekit isn't terribly expensive but there are other similar products out there for about half the price. One thing I noticed is that most of those have a "dish sprayer" type nozzle and some of the complaints in reviews were about the cheap nozzles.

So my question is, is the Rinsekit worth the extra $45 or should I buy the less expensive version and share my savings with friends, a few burritos and some cold beverages? 

Rinsekit https://www.amazon.com/Rinsekit-Mens-One-Size-Black/dp/B00UGA4DRA?th=1&psc=1

BTW, what's the trick to getting a word to be a hyperlink? Usually I just highlight the word, hit Insert Hyperlink and paste in the url. That didn't work here...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 04:50:31 PM by Larry2c »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: portable showers for my SUP
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 05:06:54 PM »
I just bought one and used it for the first time.. It can be seen at the end of this vid.. It's a quality product and well worth it imo.. It's much better than sloshing water around out of a container like I used to do.

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 05:41:19 PM »
Bunch of old shit

Larry2c

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 06:07:54 PM »
Thanks for the feedback folks.  So addapost - do you have one of these tanks? I have used weed & bug spray tanks for garden use and they all put out a great mist but not something I would think would be good for washing down my board. I see some of the tanks come with different tips - is that the difference?

David - I take it the Rinsekit uses the pressure from your hose bib at home (or wherever you hook it up). Does it say anything about max pressure for filling? I ask because my front yard hose bib is on the street side of the house pressure regulator so it has a lot of pressure - I've blown a couple of cheap lawn sprinklers up hooking them to this hose.

SaMoSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 06:58:02 PM »
I just upgraded to the Rinse Kit from one of those Deck and Home sprayers. The rinse kit is definitely much better. But I'm only getting about 2 minutes of spray in the shower mode. Enough time to wash off board and myself. I'm trying to figure out how to get more water pressure in the rinse kit. Maybe my faucet has weak pressure.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 07:37:43 PM »
Google that there is a bunch of DIY Portable showers

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing.com

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 08:35:38 PM »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 07:11:20 AM »
Or just use gravity.

And when it's empty it takes almost no space. Under $10 at Walmart. I lost the one I had somehow but am going to get two of them this week. Fill them up before I leave with hot water, leave in the bed of my truck....it will almost be too hot on a sunny summer day and even stay warm on a cool day. With 5 gallons I had more than enough to rinse me and my board, 10 will cover the family too.
http://www.coleman.com/5-gallon-camp-shower/2000014865.html.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 07:19:02 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 08:00:47 AM »
True enough. My racks weren't high enough. (You truck guys sheesh) ;)

Xterra has one on sale right now. Go sign up for their mailing list and they have a cool olive drab one for $15 or something. Check it. But I agree with Creek. It can be simple.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 08:29:09 AM »

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »
I've been using this one for years.

In the winter I fill it up with hot water and wrap a towel around it. Stays hot for about three hours.

JP4

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2017, 08:42:40 AM »
I've been using one of these for a couple years in my van.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00WWNJVHQ/ref=pd_aw_sim_86_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=HNVP999DQK144V8AP77S&dpPl=1&dpID=51LAy7K53cL

5 gallons and has enough enough pressure to blow the sand off the boards, dogs, etc. I also use it for showering and washing dishes. Since it's inside my van all the time the water is pretty warm, which is nice after peeling the wetsuit in the not always warm PNW.
JP

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 09:01:15 AM »
/
I take it the Rinsekit uses the pressure from your hose bib at home (or wherever you hook it up). Does it say anything about max pressure for filling? I ask because my front yard hose bib is on the street side of the house pressure regulator so it has a lot of pressure - I've blown a couple of cheap lawn sprinklers up hooking them to this hose.
/

It's built strong enough to handle the pressure.  It's a good design with quality fittings.  The directions say to fill for 30 seconds.  I go over a minute until the pressure equalizes to get max pressure and volume of water.   

30 seconds might be a good limit for you if your water pressure is extra strong, but I doubt anyone's house pressure is strong enough to damage this thing.  I've had it apart and looked inside the top cover.  Plastic is super strong stuff, this thing is rugged.

It's enough water for quickly rinsing a board your body, but, if you really have a mess, you may want more volume, like JP4.

But the rinse kit is a very handy size.  Perfect if I go somewhere without a good outdoor shower.     
Support your local shaper

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 09:26:56 AM »
Yes LPB, few houses go to the 65PSI that they recommend.

I might be in the minority here, but I rarely ever rinse my boards off.  Probably because I do a huge percentage of my paddling very close to home.  After a surf or a paddle I carry my board right to the car.  By the time I get there (200yds), it's dry enough to go right on to the rack without a problem.  In over 40 years of doing this the same way, I've never had any car rust issues or board degradation issues as result. 

Now, wetsuits are a different matter, they get washed and air-dried every time.

The stock-plastic back bumper of my Wrangler actually holds 7 1/2 gallons of water, so I could make a nice gravity fed foot bath or maybe add a 12v wash down pump some quick-connects...

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 10:07:22 AM »
For  $300.00 you could get one of these

http://www.alphaexpedition.com/roof-racks/gobi-roof-racks/jeep-roof-racks/jk-wrangler-2007-2014/road-shower-solar-shower/

Or make one out of PVC pipe and a tire pressure value.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
April 24, 2024, 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill