Author Topic: Snaaaaap. one down - and a new one to replace it  (Read 4950 times)

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Snaaaaap. one down - and a new one to replace it
« on: March 23, 2017, 05:48:03 PM »
So first i will say I love the way my 8'8 Riviera El Tigre surfs.  And thats where it ends.

2 weeks ago in waist high Jersey waves the board up and snapped.  And this is after it would always get a little ding anytime I went out. (not where it snapped) a VERY fragile beast.

I have to say though for a production board to snap in half in the conditions i was in is sub par.  I contacted Riviera- who i know have no contractual obligation to do anything- but thought a pure snap was probably a little out of the ordinary- After an 'encouraging' first call they directed me back to the local dealer who he would ' work it out' with.

Fast forward and my dealer say 'yeah -Riv told me to sell you one at my loss..." Hardly anything a good business owner would do (mind you this guy was just helping me- he didnt even sell me the board.

So bummed that i got the 'all good brother' and when the rubber hit the road i got the corporate line. But this isn't an anti Riviera post-  They are in business like the rest of us for a buck.

Fast forward again- and the dealer - who knows i patronize his shop for other stuff- sold me a new board  at slightly over cost based on my pity party- and a tiny bit because he wanted me on the board in the local lineup telling this tale.

(Note- I dropped to the 8'2 El Tigre wide since I now know this layup cant handle any juice.- and ill have to fill that quiver hole.)

Now- back to the board.  Here are some pictures of the snapped board and of my new whip.

I have to say the new board is even flawed.  GoPro mount is about 15 Degrees off from center??!! Makes me wonder about my fin boxes!

9Nte not running the stock plastic fins- using my Dove Bohene Infinity quads from zoner Oilhead_CJ

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Snaaaaap. one down - and a new one to replace it
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 07:05:01 PM »
No surprise there. Like the nug, I've seen sooo many snapped (folded or buckled) in that exact spot. Stringer-less 1 lb foam and min glass. Not going to take that front foot force either at the bottom of a drop, or punching through the white water. It probably starts happening right away. You stress it and stress it, then rails start with a little kink. It's half way there, just waiting for that little push over the edge. The GoPro mounts are small and round. Easy to not get one straight. I bet they just eye ball them. The fin boxes are typically done with a jig. The jig could be placed cockeyed, but that's not to common. If you really like the board, you might add a CF stringer strip on the top and bottom. A little 1/3 CF rail wrap mid rail would help as well.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 07:28:23 PM »
1. We've seen the stuff you pull into North Jerz. We're not buying the whole "it was little, it shouldn't have snapped" thing. You play hard.

B. Riviera boards are pretty cheap. But they're made like most Asian mid-price boards--flimsy. Honestly, a guy like you has no biz on a stringerless lightweight board. Most of their customers are in double-over-ankle Cali mushburgers or paddling in circles in Mission Bay.

3. We've seen the stuff you pull into. TallDude is being nice.

4. If you want to play with these light and flimsy boards, then reinforce the rails, like the dude says. Otherwise it's just a matter of time. The wave that snaps it isn't the wave that broke it. That was those midwinter muddy head high shorebreaks.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:35:26 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 10:41:34 PM »

The prosecution rests, your honor.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 03:44:19 AM »
HAHAHA-  great points Tall Dude and Pono!

That picture was actually the first day i owned the board- (and probably the first day of the end of its life.)

At this point im considering the new El Tigre as 'disposable' The cost was 1/4 of anything I will want custom. So i'm going to just kill it and move on.  Definetly not investing in it- but great suggestions

Hopefully it will get me through the spring and summer while i design something custom for the Fall/winter storm season or look at a board like the Super Tech or Sunova Acid.

Another cool story point.  I actually had a guy buy the cracked board (for a nominal amount) as hes going to throw a wrap on it and a tuttle box and make a foil board out of it.- Of course the sale price was basd on me getting to try it!

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 06:58:04 AM »
I was going to comment that the 'Buckle' just looked like a flesh wound to me.  Wrap that sucker up and keep surfing.

My Jeff Clark 10' snapped in half in its 3rd month of operation.  I had to run around looking for the nose that had a tuft of seaweed sticking out of it. 

A guy in Santa Cruz put it back together and it surfed Beautifully for another 7 years. 

On a side note it's not polite to talk COST but when you say 1/4 of a custom what are the specifics?  For Example I just bought a custom STRETCH.  Full tilt with all the bells and whistles for $1,700.  I told him to make it bomb proof.  It was a replacement 10' gun for the Jeff Clark. (Stringerless by the way Stretch claimed stringers can add stress risers and cause premature failure) 

My understanding is that a new board will run from $1,200 to $1,500 minimum (As in NOT last year's discounted model).  Starboards can be $2,200 - $2,500 US.  Surfboards not downwind or race boards (e.g. much more).

If I am looking to just try out a board, or buy used I can usually get on for $600 - $800.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:00:19 AM by Beasho »

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 07:24:05 AM »
Beasho-

I agree- nothing like your snaps!  But with the already flimsy construction of the board- and me not having the skills to do that type of repair- i felt it was best resigned to an early grave.

On the cost thing you are pretty close. I know its not 'polite' but at the end of the day this is a damn expensive sport and having an understanding of costs helps the recreational SUPer out. 

Especially for us east coasters where used performance boards are few and far between, demos even fewer- and very very little available for customs without shipping.

I know my next board- custom or production- will be expensive as i keep churning through lesser quality stuff.  So im going 'built to last' next time the wallet opens. 8)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 07:45:16 AM »
Beasho--Stretch is right, windsurfing boards don't have stringers, but they have real sandwich construction. That's probably what Stetch did, either that or lots of glass and carbon. Sandwich is stronger but less ding resistant.

Riviera boards fit in an interesting space--nicely shaped, innovative boards that are relatively inexpensive. Those silly Nuggs are a blast to surf, but if I wanted one to keep I'd sand the paint off the rails and down the middle--both sides--and carbon it up. It would look like shit, but it wouldn't break.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 06:35:05 AM »
Figured i'd throw in a ride report on the new 8'2 El Tigre Wide ride from my first go on it this am.

Board: 8'2 El tigre Wide (Gordo) 8'2 x 31 x 119l

Rider 205lbs with full NJ winter gear (+15lbs?)

-board was about as stable as i thought it would be- didn't have to be moving or stay in surf stance to balance with minimal chop- occasional bracing-  water was over the top of my feet 5% of the time- tail was under water

-at 8'2 i buried the rail a few times on take offs- but this was more the extreme south swell this am- wave angles were  steep and my usual two two side paddle to ride backside wasnt cuting it with how fast the waves were-- it was more of a start lined up down the line.  i think that will come with more time on the board

- i was surprised how much worse it tracked than my 8'8 ...no more than two strokes a side unless i was doing a modified stroke to pull in one direction

- on the wave.  Fun little board! I had it rigged with a small quad fin set.  Ill probaby move to a thruster as it was fast enough down the line but a little too skatey with this setup for my style. Turns well from the middle- but not as much drive when mashing the tailpad as I thought there would be- again- may be the little quads vs thruster.

Im definetly doing to take the rail tape off another board and put it on here to try to protect the very thin rails. at x31 wide i sure whacked it a little .....all my other boards all under x30.

conclusion- Very fun shape- suited well for Jersey beachbreaks under chest high- still suspect of Riv's build quality- but this board in a better lay up would be a great board

Hope this helps some other zoners- As always happy to try to give back all this forum has given to me in research information and learning!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 11:13:06 AM »

"- still suspect of Riv's build quality- but this board in a better lay up would be a great board "

Nailed it.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 11:22:30 AM »
Well if you are looking for a bomb proof custom I would look at Tim Nolte boards. Met him last year in Costa Rica and his boards were impressive especially when it came to the construction. Tim Nolte Surfboards and he's located in the Outer Banks.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 12:30:35 PM »
That tail looks right for quads. Maybe stick a nub in the middle to help it track and hold still in transitions.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal