Author Topic: Starboard Coast Runner  (Read 5699 times)

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Starboard Coast Runner
« on: March 02, 2017, 11:59:33 AM »
I found an older 14' SB coast runner on Craigslist and really want to make a move on it. He thinks its 2012 but has repainted it so its hard to tell from the pics. Any thoughts on this board? I was thinking about trading my 10'5" SB widepoint for it if he will take that deal. Not sure i want to give up the widepoint put i really want a nice DW/ raceboard for open ocean racing and cruising. I have another board for SUS for now and want to get a longboard shape soon anyway. the link is attached. Thanks.

https://daytona.craigslist.org/spo/6025479839.html

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
Re: Starboard Coast Runner
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 01:12:17 PM »
It has a really good reputation fro down-winding. If not waterlogged or anything like that, it should be a good buy.
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 01:24:57 PM »
Did some looking around and it seems to be a 2010. Based on the handgrip in the center and no drain holes in the deck. It seems like the tail changed on them from 2011 on as well. This appears to be the first year they made this shape.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 05:26:29 PM »
My first hard board was a 2012 Coast Runner and it did have drain holes so this must be an earlier version. I really enjoyed the board and had it for 3.5 years before selling it and buying a SIC Bullet V1 TWC to replace it. I paddled that Coast Runner around 20miles a week at least in all conditions and it was an awesome board. My buddy Kevin Horgan was the first to paddled around HK island (26 miles) and did it on this board. I also think the 2011 had more nose rocker than the 2012.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 04:39:16 AM »
Nice looking board. Nice price too.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 06:06:33 AM »
So i ended up making the trade and now have the Coast Runner. Or i at least think thats what it is. I can not seem to find this board anywhere. All of the Coast runners i find have a closed tail and drain holes in the deck. This one has no drain holes and the tail is open for water to drain out the back. I took it out yesterday and found that water collects around your feet and doesnt fully drain out. Its not alot but its 1/4" all the time. it is fast too. I found the 2011 starboard catalog online and there is a picture of one that looks like they had this board with this design at the beginning and maybe changed it for the reason i just mentioned. Either way i am happy with it. Traded my widepoint that i bought for $400 from a co worker. The CR is in great shape for its age with only a few areas that i can tell have been repaired. It is fully repainted and they guy that did it knew what he was doing. i need to figure out the proper place to stand but im stoked. I was thinking i may need to install the drain holes myself but am unsure of how. Any ideas?

Billekrub

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 12:07:05 PM »
One of the Jimmy Lewis board construction videos shows how he adds drain holes to a large board.  Vimeo IIRC.

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 03:09:05 PM »
I had this same year and make Coast Runner.  I really liked how stable it was and it liked the chop and mess.  The water where you stand is just a design flaw * a low point in the cut out) that they later tried to fix with the drain holes.  I never tried to fix this as I never thought of it as much of a problem.  From what I hear the Drain holes were not that much effective as they wished.  I just forgot about it and had fun with the board. 

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 03:16:08 PM »
Clinto,

This could be my old board.  Elite 2010 --Coast Runner.  I just saw that this was in DaytonaCraigslist .  I sold this board to a friend and he then sold it to a guy south of Jax.  So it could be...

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 06:48:02 PM »
Thats funny mdsurf. I got it from a guy in ormond beach. He bought it from someone in ponte vedra i think. The guy that he bought it from was in his 30s and wanted a fishing board instead of the race board. It has a big repair in the center of the bottom thats about 6" circle. Any of that sound familiar? I def dont want to dig in and install drain holes so ill probably just deal with it.

clinto

mdsurf

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 09:02:47 PM »
hahahaha.  I think it is my old board.   So, I sold it to a friend in Ponte Vedra and he old it south.  the Elite on the board is exact.  I'd say it is.  nice.  Don't know about the damage.  That must have happened later.

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 06:43:29 AM »
Update. I have really enjoying this board as i get more used to such a long shape. It is much faster than any of my others and handles choppy ocean conditions very well. I was out a few weeks ago paddling about a half mile off shore and while heading in with the swell directly behind me, i was able to get my first taste of downwinding. It was only a waist high wave but it white capped right behind me and i was able to catch it and ride it almost all the way in. I am looking forward to more of that for sure. One thing that i have not noticed until last night is that the tail is uneven and looks a bit twisted. In front the the fin everything is plumb and level. As you go back from the fin, the bottom raises on the right side almost a half inch higher than the left side. The deck doesn't have as much of a difference so it may be a shaping issue. I haven't noticed it pulling to one side or the other but I'm a bit disappointed with this. Not going to help me I'm sure when it comes to learning how to race and downwind. How much do you guys think it will effect my paddling?

Remickulous

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2017, 11:09:47 AM »
I don't know how that will affect you, but I just bought a 2012 version of the Coast Runner, the model that has the scupper holes, and I absolutely love it for the PNW waters I paddle in.  Even with the addition of the scupper holes the deck is pretty wet, but it is amazing the way it punches through the short, steep chop we have up here. Amazingly stable for 28", almost as good as the 2016 & 2017 Allstars I tried last year at the PPG. Even though it has some issues you're not thrilled about, I hope you continue to enjoy that board out there - I sure do love mine!
Custom 16' x 33" x 6", 51.6lbs, all the litres
Starboard Coast Runner (2012) 14' x 28", 38.8lbs 293L
Surftech Universal Blacktip, 11'6" x 32" x 5", 32.8lbs 238L
48yo, 215lbs, 70", Bellingham, WA

Love is never wasted

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal