Author Topic: Shore Stand  (Read 4340 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Shore Stand
« on: February 27, 2017, 10:38:16 AM »
Since I have to wash both sides of my Hammer upon my return home from riding it, I have to drag my two sawhorses from my garage to the outside on my lawn to lay my sup on and then wash one side, flip the sup over and then wash the other side. Then let my sup and my two sawhorses dry, put the sawhorses back into the garage and then lay my sup on them, pad side down, to store my sup until it's next outing.

Yesterday I received an email from the Better Surf Than Sorry company and in the email was an item which caught my eye. The item is called the "Shore Stand". This looks like a neat little device for washing my sup down without dragging out my two sawhorses. I'm thinking of getting one. Here's a little video of it below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXDP8tmnz0M

Cost is $50. And I already know what some of you will say. I can build it for lots cheaper by getting the parts from either Home Depot or Lowes. But, with an MRI scheduled on my achy right shoulder AC joint for this upcoming Friday evening (Mar 3rd), I'm not in the mood for a DIY project.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Shore Stand
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 12:33:23 PM »
tis a good idea though.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 01:26:23 PM »
I had never washed any of my surfboards off ever since I started surfing as a kid. I used to rinse my sails when I wind surfed and let them dry so they wouldn't get moldy, but never rinsed my boards off. The first racing sup I bought almost 10 years ago was a 16' Infinity. I paddle with Steve Boehne one day soon after I got. He saw me rinsing my new board off and asked" what the heck are you doing that for?" I thought about it for a minute, and said " To keep the salt water from dripping on my car." He told me he's never rinsed off a board in his life. The salt water off my car thing was because it was attributing to a pre-existing rust developing around the windshield of my old beater Ford Escape. I realized it wasn't going to really make any difference because the car was nearing 200K and was a beater. At SanO I used to wash my board off only because I was hosing myself off and there was a board rack right next to the hose. Since they've turned off all the out door showers at the Cali State Parks, no one showers at the beach anymore anyways.
My boards go on the rack of my car and racks at home with grass and sand on them. I only wash them off if I'm planning on selling them. I've have though always got more money for clean de-waxed surfboards :D

Maybe I'm just a slob. I can remember my mom getting mad because there was always sand in my bed...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 01:29:18 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 02:13:13 PM »
What TD said.
I still rinse my wetsuits and other water gear so the don't smell like old shoes. I guess if I was sliding the boards inside my car, I might care more. I have noticed a number of contraptions to keep your board up off the sand in the last 5 years. This thing seems like a good one (but would turn into a launcher if the wind ever grabbed your board and sent it down the road).

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 02:32:04 PM »

I rinse my boards off on the lawn then lean them on a fence to dry.

If I didn't have the fence, I'd simply find something around the house to put it on like a box, a tub, milk crate, anything. The board doesn't have to be tipped up at an angle. It will dry just fine sitting flat. Don't waste your money. Use your head.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 02:55:34 PM »
I'll rinse stuff that might be affected by the salt but that's it...occasionally the board gets rinsed but not often.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 03:02:23 PM »
^ Same here. I don't rinse my boards after every use. Just once or twice a month. Salt won't hurt them. I just like to keep them fairly clean and look for dings, etc.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 04:00:26 PM »
Pretty nifty little gadget but even at $50 kind of an expensive solution to a problem that only requires a primitive fix.  This thread isn't really about the merits of rinsing, but I do it after every session.  Not because I care that much about the board, but my car--not much I'd argue with a Boehne about but dripping salt water took a toll on my last one.  Living near the beach will certainly impact my current one, but I see it as a simple step to buy some time.  Trying to avoid the consequences of a board dripping salt water on it every day.

The rest of you filthy troglodytes can stop reading now, but if you believe in rinsing here's a much cheaper solution I carry in my truck: a old plastic sawhorse, a rubber doormat and a ShamWow.  Don't think I need to go through step by step instructions, but if you raise one end of the board, gravity does the job quick and you need less than a gallon of water. 

I'd estimate it takes less than 2 minutes--you'll be done before the uncouth blowhard in the next spot gets through his "what the hell are you rinsing for?" rant.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 04:02:57 PM by Bulky »
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 04:15:10 PM »
I'm just one of those who likes to keep things clean after a day of supping. I hate it if sand has dried onto my black pad.

BTW, I'll have to look into those plastic sawhorses because my two 48" long folding sawhorses are made of steel with paint over the steel.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 04:42:07 PM »
I'm with these guys above...

I never rinse a board off unless some guy is coming over to bye it. Although I never set it right on the beach so when I put it away, it's never sandy.

My "Shore Stand" is somewhere on the...  shore.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 04:51:13 PM »
This isn't a sore stand, but is similar and something everyone should have. I borrowed one of these from a surf shop in Kauai, and my wife heard me expounding about how great it was. I got one for Christmas the next year. I don't take it to the beach, but I could. I personally wouldn't spend $160.00 in oe, but I'm sure glad my wife did.

http://boardraxx.com/system.htm

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 11:23:41 PM »
Nice light duty shaping / repair / extra glassing stand. Looks like a couple of keyboard stands I have.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 04:58:10 AM »
Oh crap, I just had one of those, "I could make that" moments...

In the meantime, it's plastic saw horses for me.

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 06:46:15 PM »
Meh, if you're not a diy type I don't think $50 is bad at all.
Only thing I would change is perhaps make it a chair that doubles down as a sup rack, that way you can justify leaving it out in the yard all the time.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 07:26:38 PM »
There's DIY, meaning get the welding gear out, and then there's DIY meaning buy ten bucks worth of PVC fittings and glue something together. Those stands are of the second variety. Certainly not a rip off, not like spending $500 for a Ralph Lauren T shirt, but still...

Lots of people in SoCal have those. They seem to like them. I'm a bit more brutal. I rinse stuff to keep salt off my trucks if there's a shower handy, but then abuse the shit out of my vehicles and drive them until they are dead, dead, dead. So it's nonsense.

Jeff at Maui Hot Sails told me NOT to rinse my sails in shower water. They said salt water won't fog the window, but rinse water will.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal