Author Topic: Help us pick  (Read 14017 times)

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Help us pick
« on: February 02, 2017, 09:11:58 AM »
Mrs. Slatch and I are deciding between Kauai, Maui, and Puerto Vallarta for our summer vacation (in June or early July)  Ideally, we want to surf as many days as we can, head high is perfect.  The place will need to have rentals because we're not bringing our boards on this trip.

We need suggestions for each of these locations on where to surf, when the best season is, and other travelers tidbits that make trips worthwhile.  I'm calling on the hive mind of the Zoners to help us out.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: Help us pick
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 09:33:43 AM »
Aloha Jim,
My vote would be Sayulita (PV) area...

The dollar is the strongest it's been against the peso...you are in prime surf season before the heavier rains start...and, they do have good rentals from what I've seen...plus, the food is some of the best in the world...;-)

You can call the shop, or stop in next time you guys are in town, and ask Al...he just took the family down there for Christmas and has very current info...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:40:06 AM »
Ya, if choose the PV area, you'd probably want to go slightly north towards Punta de Mita or Sayulita. 
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 11:06:03 AM »
All the three options are hinged on our time share trading options, and Sayulita doesn't have a resort so we'd likely have to drive up and surf there if that were the case. Maui and Kauai moved up on the list because the resorts available are much closer to surf breaks.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 11:27:04 AM »
There is no surf right in PV...you are right...but, Punta Mita area is closer than Sayulita...
We used to go to the north shore of Maui to go windsurfing during that time frame...strong tradewinds...you'd have to get lucky and time a south swell...much busier on the south shore...

Kauai is always a favorite...but, from what I've seen myself and heard from others...rentals are subpar...

Is Cabo San Lucas or San Jose del Cabo on your list?
Surf is practically guaranteed...and, there are SUP rentals at several places...we've put boards down there...but, they are at an exclusive private resort...

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 12:57:16 PM »
Skip sayulita as the water isnt that clean but its a great place to eat and shop . Stay in punta mita or a time share between mita and pv.  The break burrows is basically in front of the Grand Palladium .  It looks like the pictures above are from that spot ? Surf at la launcha , burrows, ancholte , el faro , and the cove .   

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 01:33:31 PM »
+1 on the Palladium ,  both pkaces. Good   surfing right  at  the  resort 

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 01:34:17 PM »
+1 on the Palladium ,  both pkaces. Good   surfing right  at  the  resort 

PabstSUP

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 02:49:56 PM »
Punta de Mita is great - we actually stayed at the Quinta Del Sol - a cool little surf hotel just outside the fancy resort gates. 
Hobie Raw 8'11
Sunova Flow 8'4"
Sunova Speeed 8'10
SIC Bullet 14' ASS

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 02:53:19 PM »
These are the nuggets I was hoping to find. Keep em coming!

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »
Aloha Jim,
PV is a much shorter flight than going to Hawaii...less than 2 hours...there are some tricks to keep from getting mobbed by time share salesman at the airport...;-)

If you do stay at the Palladium...I would recommend the upgrade to Royal Suites...nicer pool...better restaurant...fewer people...etc...
The surf is OK there at Burros...nice to not have to drive...what it lacks in quality, it makes up for in consistency...and, I have surfed with turtles swimming underneath me there...always cool...there are a few better waves in the area...you can get to La Lancha pretty easily...don't leave anything valuable in the car...a few other spots are better accessed by boat...

Pics are pretty typical of the surf in the area...taken 6 years ago...you need a pretty good sized swell to get them going...it's definitely not Puerto Escondido...;-)

Like I said...Al and family just returned from there a month ago...so he has a recent pulse on it...

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 03:54:13 PM by SUPsports »

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2017, 03:54:41 PM »
This pic was taken 5 minutes after we were sitting in the infinity pool sipping beer at the Palladium overlooking the break.  The swell came up out of nowhere mid-day so a few of us headed out.  When the session was done, we handed our boards to the guys on the beach who run the board shack, hopped back in the pool (only after a beer was handed to us), and watched the second wave of guys head out.  Pretty much a dream day.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 04:06:38 PM by surfafrica »
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

surfk9

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2017, 04:06:59 PM »
Slatchjim,

+1 on the PV area.  It doesn't get epic but it does get quite good.  Pacific Paddle Surf rents new Starboard SUPs.  SUP Mexico in Sayulita has SUPS.  Most of the surf shops in Sayulita have SUPs.  Paddles aren't the greatest so you might want to bring your own.  The time your looking at is perfect for south swells but west swells also work as PV is the same latitude as Hawaii.  Palladium is a good call as it's right on Burrows.  Sayulita is a good call for family as the kids get a very user friendly beach, rent a house walk to the beach and restaurants.  The water is fine in Sayulita except after a big downpour.  Currant exchange 1+21.  I'm writing from my home in San Pancho just north of Sayulita.  Surfed there today waist+.  Lots to enjoy here and not the hustle/hassle of Hawaii.  PS- it's very SUP friendly.

centralcoastsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2017, 07:56:52 PM »
+1

centralcoastsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email