Author Topic: Exit Strategy - today's session required one  (Read 5443 times)

supthecreek

Exit Strategy - today's session required one
« on: January 21, 2017, 09:07:25 PM »
We had the usual winter swell.... some size, with a built in penalty.

Some swells hit Cape Cod with a complimentary direction, and waves peel.
Not today.... it was drop, run and get out  ;D
I made 2 waves all session.... so much for taking off too far back.

I was on my 9'2 Speeed and my buddy Tommy G was on his 7'6 Angulo carbon "Blue Squared", which he rips!  (my name for his board.... don't know the model)
Julia was tearing it up on her Green Exocet, she's a full on cold weather charger.

First 3 shots are one of the bombs that Tommy dropped.... bigger in person, I can tell you..... he manned up, committed over the ledge and got punished for it.

Last 5 are Julia showing us how to pick the right waves and rip them up.

The rest are me, giving a clinic on how to kick out  ;D ;D

Overall, pretty fun... no bad rips or shorebreak, so that made the "short & exit" more fun :)

NEsupSURF wisely chose another beach.... I hope he found a workable bar down there.

Zoner "Weed" shot the action, and as always, did a great job!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Exit Strategy - today's session required one
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 09:26:49 PM »
Nice session Creek. Sometimes those quick drops and kick-outs run make the sessions more intense. Helps having Weed around on your sessions 8) ....... to take pictures.....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 09:39:23 PM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 03:37:33 AM »
Great action shots. At this time of the year, I envy you polar bear types who put on your wet/dry suits and brave the cold water for some great sup surfing.

Thanks for sharing the photos.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 03:54:10 AM »
At this time of the year, I envy you polar bear types who put on your wet/dry suits and brave the cold water for some great sup surfing.

It's not really as cold as some might think. There's no bravery involved. As long as you wear the right gear, it's usually quite comfortable out there. Yesterday in NH, sea temp 43, air temp 43 and I was almost sweating. We had to take our hoods off now and then to cool off. I get cold easy. I'm not a polar bear. I hate being cold. I don't consider it cold unless it's below 20 degrees and even then it's not too bad. I usually feel warmer when I'm surfing than I do when I'm sitting at home.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 04:11:45 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 05:42:10 AM »
Those looked tasty on the initial drop, clean. What a shame they then walled up and needed an exit. But that's way better then not surfing at all. Great stoke.

The cold of the winter is a mental obstacle for me. I need to way ahead psych myself to pass it, commit to the session. Once suited up and in the water it's not that bad. Just gotta get up and over the idea of the cold. 

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 06:11:28 AM »
The cold of the winter is a mental obstacle for me. I need to way ahead psych myself to pass it, commit to the session. Once suited up and in the water it's not that bad. Just gotta get up and over the idea of the cold.

I should have added that the only way I'm able to surf in winter is to put my suit on at home and drive to the beach in my suit. If I had to suit up at the beach, I would freeze before I got to the water. I don't know how people manage to suit up at the beach and still stay warm but many do. Board Stiff did it yesterday. Some people just have that inner furnace going all the time.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 07:25:10 AM »
Looks like you had a real "Kick Out" there!  :P Challenging for sure in full rubber. Clean Creek lines.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 09:29:22 AM »
Some super pics for sure!!!! 

Your friend Weed has a fantastic eye.  Say, you ought to slip him your digital recorder and capture some up close video..    8) 8) 8) 
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 09:37:17 AM »
I thought for sure this thread was going to be about Drumpfs first day in office. ;D
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 10:24:53 AM »
Awesome!

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 02:51:01 PM »
I drove up, watched, went to a different spot and was crushed like a tiny little insect..I broke my Garmin Vivioactive HR dammit!  ;D  ;D  ;D
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 05:34:43 AM »
Creek:  For us smaller wave riders, can you explain what typically happens once you and your board abort the ride starting at the time of your image - (reference images #5 and #11)?  I presume your punching through the backside without much punishment(???) Same for the board(?) Or are these the size of waves that tend to pick you (and board) up and toss you over the falls?  I'm guessing its also a matter of momentum falling into the wave(?)

Any insight greatly appreciated!!!!

8) 8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 07:28:05 AM »
great pics!!!!

Wind was almost non existent down here in Jersey too.  so rare to get this size and glassy waves this time of year.  There was a great 3 day window of waves down here Fri Sat Sun- (that i missed all of  :'()

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2017, 09:04:10 AM »
There was a great 3 day window of waves down here Fri Sat Sun- (that i missed all of  :'()

I hate it when that happens. I can at times make the cynical observation that real surfers don't miss it when it's on.  Real surfers don't have jobs, families, appointments or any other liabilities, if it's not with them at the beach,  they don't need it.  Sometimes , in a frustrated moment, I wish I was one.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2017, 09:08:56 AM »
There was a great 3 day window of waves down here Fri Sat Sun- (that i missed all of  :'()

I hate it when that happens. I can at times make the cynical observation that real surfers don't miss it when it's on.  Real surfers don't have jobs, families, appointments or any other liabilities, if it's not with them at the beach,  they don't need it.  Sometimes , in a frustrated moment, I wish I was one.
Yep. That's it exactly. Family party and stuff with the kids all weekend. No breaks.....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal