Author Topic: Starboard Recessed 3mm EVA pad problems  (Read 3743 times)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Starboard Recessed 3mm EVA pad problems
« on: January 18, 2017, 08:54:38 PM »
Has anybody had issues with the thin 3mm EVA pad on the new Starboard All Star's tearing under just foot movement? There's a junior racer who's brand new 12'6 x 23 All Star pad appears to be tearing off wherever it's missing adhesive. Maybe a bad batch of glue, or just outright dry spots? He took it back the the store he purchased it from, and at first they said it looks like he caught it on something that caused it to tear. That was my first inclination as well. But he swears it's never hit anything. He cherishes the board like his prize possession (he's 14 so you can imagine a $3K+ board), so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. The guys at the store he bought it from, started pushing hard all over the pad with their hands. Low and behold, it tore. That pad is so thin, almost paper thin. I can see how it has no structural strength, just super thin foam. It would have to be adhered 100% to stay on the board. They should make it with some sort of binder, mesh or fabric to give it more strength. 
I didn't get a picture of the tear, but this is what the pad looks like. The tear was about 1.5" x 2.5".   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Starboard Recessed 3mm EVA pad problems
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 05:46:28 AM »
The pad on my Hammer is 3mm thick so it is as thin as on the boy's pad on his Starboard. However, I don't think the tear is due to "thinness" because my Hammer's 3mm pad is very durable and I might add, very comfortable. I move my feet around around to many different positions on my Hammer. The pad looks like it is still brand new as long as I wash it done after use to get all the sand and mud off of it.

There could be a few factors which could come into play. Maybe Starboard changed pad manufacturers on the recommendations from Starboard's own "bean counter" accountant. Maybe the pad's foam was made from a different grade of high density foam to cut costs. Maybe there wasn't enough glue used.

I can see the boy's point. When paying 3K + for a Starboard, the pad shouldn't tear under foot movement especially if the foot movement is from "bare feet". If I was the CEO of Starboard; I'd want that board back, at Starboard's expense, so it could be inspected. Once inspected and if found to be Starboard's fault for any of the above reasons; rectify the situation in the boy's favor and send the board back to the boy, cost free, to make things right.

One thing for sure, a call to Starboard from the dealer should be done.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 07:22:25 AM »
Damned "bean counters"!!😁

If there is no glue under the part that is tearing, that would seem a very likely reason for the damage.  In the interest of saving time I would just ask SB for a replacement pad.  If the dealer does not have the skills to do the R&R, I'm sure you could jump in TD.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 01:10:53 PM »
this normally happens when the pads are glued down with epoxy or whatever they use and as the pad is put under sideways pressure the brittle glue starts to tare of the foam and then the pad starts to lift split and peel off. With a high quality 3m style backing it is a continuous sheet of glue that ties it all together a little more and has some stretch and give to it so this does not happen.  Naish had a bad run of this a few year ago (20010 i think) On the plus side its easy to remove and replace with something nicer and more comfy.

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 05:26:57 PM »
My CF hypernut pad started peeling within the first hour of owning it. I'm currently dealing with them to get it covered under warranty. If I hadn't stopped during it I could have peeled it off like a stamp. While they have been very nice in the communications I've been getting the ' were working on it' line for nearly 3 mths....  There's obviously an issue out here with the glue or install. I've been. Promised a new pad and install but as of now it's still in the promise stage...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 06:45:51 PM »
  You mean for $3,000 bucks you expect a pad that sticks to your board?

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 07:11:26 PM »
  You mean for $3,000 bucks you expect a pad that sticks to your board?
You're paying for the name and the team riders. The good glue wasn't in the budget :-[
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 11:55:23 PM »
My CF hypernut pad started peeling within the first hour of owning it. I'm currently dealing with them to get it covered under warranty. If I hadn't stopped during it I could have peeled it off like a stamp. While they have been very nice in the communications I've been getting the ' were working on it' line for nearly 3 mths....  There's obviously an issue out here with the glue or install. I've been. Promised a new pad and install but as of now it's still in the promise stage...

Yeah the pad on my Ace came up too. I've formed the opinion that if you really care about good fit and finish, Starboard might not be your first choice brand. Jimmy Lewis, for instance, are better made as well as cheaper, IMO.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 01:23:31 AM »

Yeah the pad on my Ace came up too. I've formed the opinion that if you really care about good fit and finish, Starboard might not be your first choice brand. Jimmy Lewis, for instance, are better made as well as cheaper, IMO.

SB quality strikes again.. Its probably because it was rushed through the factory, not properly degreased etc. Poor boy.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Acrane7

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 08:02:29 AM »
Thinner pads are used for 2 reasons, less weight and eco-conservation. Also, the same for the glue used. It is a pain for sure, but would be covered.

To note on what you are paying for when buy a Starboard, it is innovation and quality. While sometimes the quality isn't 100% every time, the attempt is fully there. What other brand has an owner who lives at the manufacturing facility year round and that walks the floor to checks boards for defects? I don't know of any other international companies the sell on a global scale that do.

Thousands upon thousands of boards are built each year, defects can occur and are unfortunate but they do their best to mitigate them. I hope a resolution can be formed for the young gun!

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 08:14:32 AM »
I would say it's poor prep by the factory. 
@rf.boardworks

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard