Author Topic: Tropic Blends Sup "Kane" 10'6"x30"x4.25" @ 155 Liters  (Read 24635 times)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tropic Blends Sup "Kane" 10'6"x30"x4.25" @ 155 Liters
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 05:31:01 PM »
Whoa dude, you're way over thinking the whole new SUP thing. 

+1
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 06:41:03 PM »
 It's not the hat that makes a good cowboy.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2017, 10:54:01 PM »
Whoa dude, you're way over thinking the whole new SUP thing.  You've got one thing right.  Anything over 30" wide is just too much.  Sure, some boards may not be super stable at 30", but most will be stable tables at your size.

I can only guess your looking for a compromise board that will surf, but paddle well in flat water.  Forget the quad, a single fin in a standard 2+1 setup is the only way to go for any flat water paddling  Side fins only cause drag and quads will only drag and yaw.  I like quads too, but it's basically pointless on a big compromise board.

The Drive is way too big, take a look at the 9'8" x 30" Element as a much better all-rounder at your size.  It will paddle flat water just as well as the Drive and will be much more manageable in the surf.  Longer surf style boards may paddle a bit better on the flats, but will surf like the super tankers that they are.  If you want fast on the flats, better think race board.

Lastly, forget getting a custom board.  There are plenty of production boards that will suit your needs.

You're right on some parts and the key word is "some", not all. I do want a compromise board. If I go with a longer than normal Mahalo, I will use it for flat water and surfing also. My Hammer 8'11'x31" was specifically designed for surfing so I've got the surfing angle already covered, but I've learned to paddle her well on flat water and I judge that on paddling in a straight line where I've got it down to 6 paddle strokes one side and then on the other side (and repeat) to maintain that straight line.

As for forgetting the quad + 1 system, I've never been one to follow conventional thinking. When I paddle on flat water at a leisurely pace, since I've experimented with all of my fins, I don't lose very much comparing a single fin and a 5 fine setup. But, for me, I can turn the board easier with a 5 fin than I can with a single fin. In other words, your skill level is better than mine. But getting back to the fins, I like and "want" a board with a quad +1 setup. The old, "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" if I ever run into a situation where I would  be saying to myself, "I wish I had bought the board with the quad +1".

As for balance and width of a board; I can tell you're not pushing 67 years of age. You don't have a back problem which would affect your balance either. And I'm pretty sure, you're more limber than I am. As for the 9'x30" Element. It doesn't come with a quad +1 setup which is one of my parameters. And I'm guessing but I think a 10'6x30" Mahalo is going to be a little more stable than a 9'8"x30" Element when standing on the board on flat water and not moving.

Starting with the 2017 model Element, it is now 9'8"x31" if you want to look it up on Starboard's site. Also, a standard production made carbon Element is going to cost around $3000 + which is more than a custom built to my specifications all carbon Mahalo that WarDog of SUP Sports can build for me and that would be in the neighborhood of around $2300-$2400 which by the way would also include the cost of the extra fins I would order and also the cost of shipping.

As for the money angle, I'm not hurting for money. I sold my Hobie, not to get money for a replacement sup. I sold it to "make room in my garage" because space to make room is a factor I can't work around. The money I received for the Hobie was "an added bonus". When it comes to money, everyone is in the same boat which means no matter how wealthy you are; when you die, you can't take it with you.

As Zooport commented further down the page in his comment, I've over thinked this thing and he's correct because I certainly have.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2017, 11:55:54 PM »
Wing, if you're pushing 67 that means you have many years of SUPing ahead of you, so get what you want today, and then, when you're perceptions change in a year, repeat...
That's the rationalization game I play myself...

...and Baddog, I like your perspective
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 08:01:46 AM »
@Baddog

I have to make a correction. The  2017 Element is still at 30" of width. The Drive went from 30" to 31" for the 2017 model.

I've been looking at lots of boards these past two weeks. And the 10'6"x30" Mahalo will have the better glide on flat water than the 9'8"x30 Element due to the longer waterline.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:06:20 AM by Night Wing »
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2017, 08:15:08 AM »
As Zooport commented further down the page in his comment, I've over thinked this thing and he's correct because I certainly have.

One of my best paddling buddies says he suffers from the same thing as you, and he calls it "analysis paralysis."  It's all fun, though.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:20:04 AM by Zooport »
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 09:56:57 AM »
...snippity...
Starting with the 2017 model Element, it is now 9'8"x31" if you want to look it up on Starboard's site. Also, a standard production made carbon Element is going to cost around $3000 + which is more than a custom built to my specifications all carbon Mahalo that WarDog of SUP Sports can build for me and that would be in the neighborhood of around $2300-$2400 which by the way would also include the cost of the extra fins I would order and also the cost of shipping.

As for the money angle, I'm not hurting for money. I sold my Hobie, not to get money for a replacement sup. I sold it to "make room in my garage" because space to make room is a factor I can't work around. The money I received for the Hobie was "an added bonus". When it comes to money, everyone is in the same boat which means no matter how wealthy you are; when you die, you can't take it with you.

Aloha Night Wing,
You are correct...you only live once...and, there isn't an award for being the richest dude in the graveyard...;-)

No worries one way or the other concerning your new board consideration, as we are working on a number of customs right now...including one for a former pro surfer living in Hawaii...but, there is one more thing to think about regarding an all carbon custom SUP from us...unless you are considering very sophisticated graphical elements and/or extras like a board bag or locks...etc...my calcs indicate that a 5 fin box carbon custom Mahalo with double vent valves, could be delivered to you, via the same delivery logistics as your last custom from us, for under $2K with custom fin set, pad, and high quality safety leash...thanks to our frequent flyer discount...;-)

Regardless, good luck with your shopping experience...

p.s. I totally get your detail oriented thought process...believe me, based on the thousands of board transactions that we've been involved with in over the last 18 years of selling boards...12 of them with SUPs...you don't have a case of "paralysis by analysis"...I know it when I see it...we've had several clients demo a number of our boards over a 3 year period before actually ordering...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 10:32:18 AM »
As to forgetting the quad + 1 system...

Stick to your guns Night Wing, but sometimes as someone who has "never been one to follow conventional thinking" you have to think outside of your own box.  I've got nothing against a 4 + 1 setup on any board, it's just that it eliminates the majority of production boards that would work for you with very little if any surf performance gain.  As to the single fin, I meant switch to a single in flat water and and back to a 2+1 or Tri or Quad in the surf.

Not pushing Starboard necessarily and I don't know how "Carbon" popped into the picture, but the 2017 Element in the new Starlite construction is pretty light at 22lbs, it's supposed to be bulletproof and it's nearly half the price of the Carbon construction.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:51:25 AM by baddog »

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 06:45:35 PM »
Night Wing,

just an FYI The Custom Sunova I discribed (Which happens to be a CARBON?Wood construction) will come $1699 DELIVERED TO YOUR DOOR
Comparing that to your other options once again hows Sunova is a great board at a KILLER PRICE and yes full warranty, Deck Pad, Fins

Just FYI

We are here to help and its fun going through the process

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 09:14:30 PM »
Aloha Night Wing,
You are correct...you only live once...and, there isn't an award for being the richest dude in the graveyard...;-)

No worries one way or the other concerning your new board consideration, as we are working on a number of customs right now...including one for a former pro surfer living in Hawaii...but, there is one more thing to think about regarding an all carbon custom SUP from us...unless you are considering very sophisticated graphical elements and/or extras like a board bag or locks...etc...my calcs indicate that a 5 fin box carbon custom Mahalo with double vent valves, could be delivered to you, via the same delivery logistics as your last custom from us, for under $2K with custom fin set, pad, and high quality safety leash...thanks to our frequent flyer discount...;-)

Regardless, good luck with your shopping experience...

p.s. I totally get your detail oriented thought process...believe me, based on the thousands of board transactions that we've been involved with in over the last 18 years of selling boards...12 of them with SUPs...you don't have a case of "paralysis by analysis"...I know it when I see it...we've had several clients demo a number of our boards over a 3 year period before actually ordering...;-)

You know me by now. I won't be doing any sophisticated graphics. Just like my first sup you built for me. Just a solid plain color with a pin strip around the edge of the board and the pin stripe would be either white or black depending on the color for the main board. In fact, I've already got a a photo from your custom built sup page which shows a  custom board you built for someone in a vivid red color. And since I live in very hot southeast Texas, double vents would have to be a must for me. Basically, it would be just like my first sup that I ordered from you with 6 fins.

But before I place any order for any sup, I've first got to get around "my boss" if you get my drift since the boss doesn't know yet.  ;)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 09:28:35 PM »
I've got nothing against a 4 + 1 setup on any board, it's just that it eliminates the majority of production boards that would work for you with very little if any surf performance gain.  As to the single fin, I meant switch to a single in flat water and and back to a 2+1 or Tri or Quad in the surf.

Not pushing Starboard necessarily and I don't know how "Carbon" popped into the picture, but the 2017 Element in the new Starlite construction is pretty light at 22lbs, it's supposed to be bulletproof and it's nearly half the price of the Carbon construction.

I know a quad + 1 doesn't leave many choices, but it only boils down to "one choice" in the end. The Triple Blend and SUP Sports can give me what I want. As for my like for carbon. I'm 150 pounds at the moment. Sometimes on the lake where I go flat water paddling, the parking lot for my vehicle is not close to the water. The lighter the board, the better for my lower back if I have to travel about 125 yards to the water from my vehicle.

In other words, my custom all carbon Hammer 8'11"x31" weighs 17 pounds with pad. I figure an all carbon Mahalo 10'6"x30" would be around 19 pounds with pad. That beats a 22 pound Element 9'8"x30" by 3 pounds. Three pounds doesn't sound like much, but if you ever get lower back problems, I can guarantee you will sing a different tune.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2017, 09:50:21 PM »
   Patiently waiting your decision.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2017, 07:35:53 AM »
Night Wing,

just an FYI The Custom Sunova I discribed (Which happens to be a CARBON?Wood construction) will come $1699 DELIVERED TO YOUR DOOR
Comparing that to your other options once again hows Sunova is a great board at a KILLER PRICE and yes full warranty, Deck Pad, Fins

Just FYI

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

Then what model of Sunova would you suggest since I would have to go with a custom build? Given my parameters of:

1) 10'6"x30" with a liter volume between 155 and 165 liters (I don't know enough about the thickness to suggest a number so this is why I left it out).
2) A flat deck since a domed deck is an automatic deal breaker.
3) A quad fin setup (quad + 1).
4) A regular sup handle and not the lift style handle.
5) Not a fan of a squared nose.
6) Not a fan of boxy squared rails. This would have to be thought out in conjunction with the thickness of the board at it's thickest part of the sup and then thin out the rails for the entire length of the board from nose to tail.
7) Light in weight (around 19-20 pounds).

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2017, 07:37:43 AM »
   Patiently waiting your decision.

I'm also waiting patiently for my decision.

As the old adage says; "Patience is a virture".  ;)

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2017, 01:32:03 PM »

8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal