Author Topic: I'm on a Quest.  (Read 4583 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
I'm on a Quest.
« on: January 05, 2017, 09:32:04 AM »
An 11'2'' x 32'' Naish Quest.. and it's my new faverite board..

If I had to choose one board only this would be it.. and it's the cheapest board in my quiver..

It's my new daily paddling board.. and I can't imagin going without it now..  8)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: I'm on a Quest.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 09:50:53 AM »
You are a bad influence. Like an itch I can't scratch. I sincerely mean those two statements in a very, very GOOD way. It's nice to see a little flat water cruising/paddling video. One question though. It's a dumb question but a newbie like me doesn't mind asking a dumb question. That question is, can you surf that 11'2"x32"x5" @ 220 liter sup? I'm asking because I've got a wild hare of my own that I hope I can pursue.

BTW, as always, I really enjoy watching all of your videos so thanks for sharing them here on the Zoner site.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 10:05:40 AM »
You can surf it fine. You'll just need to move back to the tail to turn.

Nice vid DJ.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 10:12:16 AM »
11'2 is a fun do everything size. I still DW my Nalu 11'4 occasionally.

Perfect inserts for a bungee cord up front to tuck things under and a windsurf insert.

Let us know if it goes as well as your 10'10 did.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 10:14:16 AM »
Thanks Night Wing.. and yes.. It surfs great.. Well pretty good for a big do-it-all type board..

8 years ago when I had about 4 boards I used to say if I had to choose one board it would be the 11'6'' Nalu.. It was a classic in its day..

This is like its modern replacement.. You can learn/cruise/tour/surf it.. Even race and downwind it if you wanted to.. It's super stable and paddles great..

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 10:15:57 AM »
I meant to write: if it windsurfs as well as your 10'10

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 10:50:45 AM »
Another great video, DJ.  And great message.

I still love paddling my old 11-6 x 32 Doyle, which preceded my 14' boards.  Plus it's a great dog board.  Our old 130-pound mastiff/shepherd used it as his exclusive board--turned his nose up at my Naish Glide. Sometimes I'll take it out after dinner when I want to paddle for a few minutes without having to worry about falling into cold Puget Sound--don't even have to take the extra few minutes to change into paddling gear.

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 11:58:49 AM »
Newbie questions...I started out with an 11'6" Bic AceTec surf style.  I am planning an upgrade for lake/bay use.  Would this board be much faster than the BIC?  I assume I'd notice a bigger difference going to something like a 12'6" Glide, but how much difference would I really expect to notice between the BIC, and a Quest, or a Glide? 

(Novice paddler, 180lbs). 

Thanks.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 03:34:31 PM »
DJ, very nice! You're becoming a film maker!
Not to hijack, but while we're on the topic of 11ish x 31ish Naish boards:
I'm deciding between the 11' Nalu and 11'4" Nalu, primarily for surfing.  I've only had the chance to flat water test both. Between the two I found the 11'4" to feel so much more 'alive' that I took the 11' off the list, but later saw lots of compliments about the surfability of the 11'.
If anyone has any input I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!   
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 03:51:04 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 04:04:42 PM »
Newbie questions...I started out with an 11'6" Bic AceTec surf style.  I am planning an upgrade for lake/bay use.  Would this board be much faster than the BIC?  I assume I'd notice a bigger difference going to something like a 12'6" Glide, but how much difference would I really expect to notice between the BIC, and a Quest, or a Glide? 

(Novice paddler, 180lbs). 

Thanks.

I think you will find the Quest very similar to your Bic.. The 12'6" Glide is noticeably different and you defiantly would notice quite a difference.. I actually had an order in for a new 12'6" Glide but when I heard that there would be a few weeks delay I took a gamble on the 11'2" Quest instead because I'd never seen one.. The Glide is a little lighter and has a better handle..Also faster.. but it's also noticeably more expensive.. Try and demo one if you can..

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 04:08:17 PM »
DJ, very nice! You're becoming a film maker!
Not to hijack, but while we're on the topic of 11ish x 31ish Naish boards:
I'm deciding between the 11' Nalu and 11'4" Nalu, primarily for surfing.  I've only had the chance to flat water test both. Between the two I found the 11'4" to feel so much more 'alive' that I took the 11' off the list, but later saw lots of compliments about the surfability of the 11'.
If anyone has any input I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

I've had a few 11'4"s and a couple of 11' Nalu's (still have one) and I found the 11'4" the better flat water paddler out of the two but found the 11' board much better for surfing..

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 06:31:42 PM »
With our boards so specialized, it's fun to just muck around on an all-around. No fussing or overthinking about if you have the “right” tool. You just get out there and play.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 08:06:26 PM »

Thanks, DJ.   I appreciate the knowledge.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 08:09:12 PM by Dusk Patrol »
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 08:52:59 AM »
I had an 11 4 Nalu and it was a great board....I sold it because I needed something shorter for the crappy beach breaks. When it got bigger and clean it was sooooo much fun...super early entry.

32 wide way too much at that length for me personally.

leecea

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 01:06:15 PM »
I think you will find the Quest very similar to your Bic.. The 12'6" Glide is noticeably different and you defiantly would notice quite a difference.. I actually had an order in for a new 12'6" Glide but when I heard that there would be a few weeks delay I took a gamble on the 11'2" Quest instead because I'd never seen one.. The Glide is a little lighter and has a better handle..Also faster.. but it's also noticeably more expensive.. Try and demo one if you can..

Thanks for the info. Yes, I'll demo before I buy. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal