Author Topic: DJI Inspire 2 and 5k camera  (Read 22982 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: DJI Inspire 2 and 5k camera
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2017, 07:10:44 PM »
Admin, as a guy who's had to explain video compression and artifacts to clients for years... you're hired. Great post. What we shoot and what makes it to our screens, at least for a few years still is night and day. Makes me laugh that networks make people shoot 4K at high bit rates and then it's all compressed to hell on the way to your house... or phone (ouch.)

The mavic did make GoPro cry, spoke to some folks there about it. But it'll also inspire (pun?) them as well. Now that you can update software on a hardware platform it makes innovation easier.

What's crazy is what I'm seeing on these toy drones as I learn to fly these things. To all who are "drone-curious", crashing a $50 drone is way more fun than a $1,000 one. Buy a Syma X5 (any model with altitude hold) learn, and then give it to a buddy or kid when you're done.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2017, 07:26:40 PM »
Sano, that Autel is pretty sweet. Has a few features that seem to nudge the Phantom. My fave, in waypoint, it'll fly out of range, do the waypoints and then come back into range. That's crazy. Also, detachable camera is nice.

Here's a review that compares the two. Pono, I would not want to be in the consumer drone business right now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx1Y3znO4Jo

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2017, 10:20:04 PM »
Don't let StandingDan get a hold of it. I know he's a pilot and likes to race...... I mean crash drones at high speed.  ::)
Ol' Standin' also has a Parrot BEBOP 2 FPV that he'll be flying tomorrow when I take the X-Star on it's first real flight.  Hopefully he doesn't suddenly turn into the "Red Baron" while we're up there, but I guess if he does....we'll have some pretty good video images of the ensuing chaos!!   :o ;D
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2017, 10:38:13 PM »
Sano, that Autel is pretty sweet. Has a few features that seem to nudge the Phantom. My fave, in waypoint, it'll fly out of range, do the waypoints and then come back into range. That's crazy. Also, detachable camera is nice.

Here's a review that compares the two. Pono, I would not want to be in the consumer drone business right now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx1Y3znO4Jo
That video is one of the reasons I went with the Autel instead of the Phantom 4 (which also seems to be an amazing craft for the price), not to mention my youngest son bought the Phantom 4 a couple weeks ago, which performed great...right up to the point he hit the "return home" button which the drone responded to great, right up to the point that it fell out of the sky from about 10 meters up, and busted it up fairly well.   :(

Of all the negative reviews I read on the Phantom after that....most were for exactly the same thing, and many complained of DJI's customer service in even just being able to talk with someone, and getting it repaired in a timely manner when they finally did.  I'm happy to report that my son called them up, was able to speak with someone almost immediately, and the turn-around time of sending it off, and getting it back was just over a week's time....and free of charge. 

Everyone reported that Autel's seven day a week, 10 hour a day customer service was always there of them, and any service issues were handled quickly, and pretty much for free unless there was the occasional obvious "operator error" problems.  Hopefully I won't need them, but I'm figuring these things are like motorcycles....those who have crashed, and those who will.   ;) :)
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2017, 02:31:44 AM »
many complained of DJI's customer service in even just being able to talk with someone, and getting it repaired in a timely manner when they finally did. 

I am pretty sure that at least the first level of DJI chat is 100% bot driven.  This is pretty cool, actually, but the service is not quite there yet.  Maybe the social bots they have in training here on the Zone could be better hires :).
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 02:57:11 AM by Admin »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2017, 02:54:45 AM »
Admin, as a guy who's had to explain video compression and artifacts to clients for years... you're hired. Great post. What we shoot and what makes it to our screens, at least for a few years still is night and day. Makes me laugh that networks make people shoot 4K at high bit rates and then it's all compressed to hell on the way to your house... or phone (ouch.)

Yes sir.  The best we can do for web delivery is to make sure we are uploading files to YouTube, Vimeo, etc. with the fewest compression generations possible and at settings that they will mangle the least.  Everyone gets depressed when they see the gorgeous video (on their computer) get blown to bits by YouTube.  Improving that takes a lot of fiddling for any given camera.

Also these drones are still treating video like photos for the "auto" settings which often means unusable footage.

Auto Exposure - ughhhh!  Changes exposure mid shot so you get these huge exposure variations in the clip. Often selects settings that you would never use for video (super high shutter speeds, etc).  Use manual.

Auto White Balance - ughhhhhhh!  Changes white balance mid shot so you get these crazy color adjustments on the fly.  This is almost impossible to fix during post.  Use manual.

Panning - It is very hard to make pans look good on progressive video.  Fast pans will jutter really badly in most instances.  Frame rate / Shutter speed helps.  Slow pans help.  That again means manual settings (and almost always ND filters).

« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 05:03:00 AM by Admin »

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2017, 05:48:58 AM »
What's crazy is what I'm seeing on these toy drones as I learn to fly these things. To all who are "drone-curious", crashing a $50 drone is way more fun than a $1,000 one. Buy a Syma X5 (any model with altitude hold) learn, and then give it to a buddy or kid when you're done.
Thank You for bringing me back down to earth and grounding me with some sense. Damn if a little itch didn't start but....what was I thinking starting out with something $1,000?  That's a good chunk towards a new board. (oh, I know.......4.3 mile range, 4k, etc. etc. etc.....)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2017, 07:13:03 AM »

That's the main reason I also bought the DJI 4K camera. Anything that's just going to go on Youtube I'll probably shoot with that. My camera knowledge is very limited, stuff that would give Admin apoplexy I probably wouldn't notice until it was pointed out to me.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2017, 07:41:02 AM »
Check out this vid this guy did of spotlight pro.  You can see the camera making gnarly adjustments mid-clip.  Better to just lock it all down.  Our camera makes this easy to do.  The RAW video files are absolutely insane.  I have been fiddllng around with the sample RAW files from the DJI site and you can make hysterically huge corrections to exposure after the fact in either direction as long as you don't completely blow it.  As with all RAW files, white balance is not locked at capture.  This can be set after the fact with no degradation as long as no on the fly color changes are made during capture.  That needs to be locked.

The spotlight feature also looks amazing.  As soon as the weather breaks...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG8cLBqwW8Q
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:59:23 AM by Admin »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2017, 10:07:55 AM »
With RAW I can purposely shoot underexposed shots at a faster shutter speed, then adjust the white in post to get low light stop action shots. It helps increase the depth of field as well. Like you said, editing RAW files is a whole different world. Time consuming to say the least. I used to shoot 400 shots during a basketball tournament ::)  Now I may shoot a 100, and quickly discard 25 more before I even get to post.   
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2017, 03:19:54 AM »
That's the main reason I also bought the DJI 4K camera. Anything that's just going to go on Youtube I'll probably shoot with that.

Hi Bill,

Did you mean that you bought the 4S for web stuff?  That may not be necessary.  You have all the same formats available on the 5S.  Plus, if you are recording the better 4K formats to the SSD card it downsamples on the fly from the full available 5.2 K resolution.  That improves quality a lot.

Incredibly (to me at least)  this drone records 3 separate video formats at once.  While recording RAW at 5.2 K to the SSD it also records h.264 or h.265 (MP4) to the tiny SD card and it records the stream that you are using for monitoring (either 720 or 1080).  While doing that it will shoot bursts of 20 FPS RAW still images at 21 megapixels.   3 video steams simultaneously with photos as the cherry. 

This blows my doors off  (well, to be fair they were already loose).

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2017, 03:58:12 PM »
Mainly I figured the lighter cam would give longer runtime and be a better choice for hazardous stuff. In reality, the flight times are longer than my attention span with the 5, and I bought the insurance, so yeah, it was probably a wasted expense. I wasn't aware that it downsampled in realtime. That's wild. Where are you finding the information on the camera operation, I've had problems finding much.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2017, 12:36:28 PM »
Check out this vid this guy did of spotlight pro.  You can see the camera making gnarly adjustments mid-clip.  Better to just lock it all down.  Our camera makes this easy to do.
Now admittedly, I'm a complete neophyte wrt to all of this camera technology, and terminology stuff, but I do know that on the controller that came with the X-Star, I have a dial just above the video on/off button that allows me to change the exposure on the fly....so I'm wondering if in that clip, it's possibly not the camera automatically changing the exposure settings, but rather the pilot doing it on the ground via the controller. 

Hopefully I'm correct in guessing that it's the exposure that causing those "gnarly adjustments mid-clip" that's being talked about, but if not.....never mind.  ??? :D

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2017, 03:21:23 PM »
Where are you finding the information on the camera operation, I've had problems finding much.

The manuals/documentation are pretty underwhelming.  I am asking questions where i can and winging the rest. 

Are you guys using DiVinci Resolve 12.5 yet?  If not, grab it.  It is free and amazing.  Great as a video editor, hard to touch for grading and color work.  Did I mention free?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2017, 03:34:41 PM »
Let me guess. Windoze. I'm 2/3 convinced that instead of buying some mongo mac workstation I'm going towards something that smells like high-end PC. But maybe I get one of the bodacious Mac pro things and boot every known OS on it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal