Author Topic: Mini-winder.......Downwinding without the chop  (Read 4536 times)

supthecreek

Mini-winder.......Downwinding without the chop
« on: December 31, 2016, 07:28:22 AM »
My kind of downwinding.

I call it Mini-winding.... the push, without the pesky wobble. I get enough wobbling around, when I surf.
We have a lot of options, where we can be in wind, but protected from the long fetch chop.
I tried the open water stuff, but the swells never got big enough to be fun, and the chop was just plain annoying... so I prefer this option.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Mini-winder.......Downwinding without the chop
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 07:38:52 AM »
We get a lot of those up here. Every time I've tried to downwind the Piscataqua, it turns into that kind of mini-winder. Makes for a relaxing paddle with minimal effort, but lacks the rush of feeling the board release on a bump.

Which Sunova is that you're riding, btw?

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 07:47:16 AM »
Surfing gives me all the wave rush I need, so I like turning a windy, crappy day like this one, into some fun :)

14' Search is my flat-water board this winter. I love it... super stable and fun in these conditions.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 08:28:59 AM »
@supthecreek

Looking at the waves and wind in this video, those are the exact same wind and water/wave conditions I usually encounter in the springtime of the year on our area lakes where I sup.

BTW, I'm always curious when I see things in videos. If you don't mind me asking and you're willing to answer. Your partner in this video. What is the brand, model,  length, width and liters of her board?
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 09:15:06 AM »
That's "getting blown along by the wind" rather than planing on bumps (which is what I define as moving far faster than the bump and far faster than I could reach even in a short sprint, whatever anyone else calls it 😀). All good fun, and I do this kind of miniwinding too sometimes on canals and estuaries near me. But it can't really compare with the rush of surfing waist-high+ bumps, so if you like the buzz of surfing I'm surprised you don't like downwinding. Maybe you don't get the right conditions near you? The logistics are also, of course, a palaver so it's tough if you don't have a crew of likeminded and like-abilitied people locally.

supthecreek

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 10:47:22 AM »
Thanks for setting me straight.
And it does compare.
Like I said: "I prefer this option"... is that ok?

Night Wing... my buddy Bruce is using my classic 12'6 Starboard Cruiser (2007?)... awesome board, one of the 1st good Surf SUPs. Works well in everything.... they should still make it.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 02:17:07 PM »
Night Wing... my buddy Bruce is using my classic 12'6 Starboard Cruiser (2007?)... awesome board, one of the 1st good Surf SUPs. Works well in everything.... they should still make it.

Thanks for the info. It's given me a few ideas for future reference.

BTW, sorry about the "her" when it was a "him". I think I need a new trifocal eyeglass prescription change and it just so happens I've got an appointment with my ophthalmologist this upcoming Tuesday morning.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 06:43:00 PM »
Creek. Your video shows exactly the type of conditions I started my downwind experiences in. It's just great fun to feel yourself being pushed by the wind and then catching a few downbreeze ripples and being able to stop paddling for a while. That is where my addiction to paddling in the same direction of the wind started and I'm hoping it will lead to bigger conditions for you to experience a full on downwinder. As a surfer you will excel at it.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2016, 10:18:01 PM »
Downwinder to downbreezers to mini-winder..........think that's it covered now.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 11:43:09 PM »
How much do you weigh, Supthecreek? The Sunova Search is only 218L. DJ was recently saying that he thought that the Naish Maliko was marginal for downwinding in terms of volume for him. I think he weighs something like 95 kilos (but this is a guess; I could be way off), and his Maliko is 281L. It's tough to get planing when downwinding, especially in confused waters, if your board is bogging down and catching a rail because of a lack of volume. Maybe this is why you are finding bigger conditions so unrewarding? The SIC F14, which ostensibly is the same dimensions as the Search (14x30), and is of course designed by a downwind expert, is 298L. That's a huge difference in volume, as I'm sure you'll agree. The F16, which many bigger guys like for downwind in difficult conditions, is 323L. A board that has 100 extra lures of volume over your Search (lovely though that board must be for small wave surfing - I nearly bought one myself) is going to give a totally different experience in the bumps.

Just a thought.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 01:05:32 AM »
On the other hand in super festive stuff that surf shape also has a certain stability. It won’t jump up and plane w a heavy rider but it will get less bounced around less. I started on a Nalu 11’4. Not as much planing as a good DW board but good enough to get in the groove.

If I’m not mistaken the bro of One SUP designer has taken up SUP shaping responsibilities at Sunova. I’m guessing there’s a  dugout DownSlitherer in the works since down under they like that so much. Personally I believe Sunova would be well placed to make some excellent planing DW boards, because of their surfing heritage and masterage of “the plane”

Up$#@&Creek, I hope you catch the DWing bug. I’d imagine the Cape would give you all kinds of excellent DW routes. Your region breeds world class sailors. THere’s wind. Boston is one of the windiest US cities (#2 or 3 if not mistaken). There’s infinite land to land routes. So…? 

Where else to place an East Coast DW test center? I’m surprised by the apparent lack of downwind afficiondao’s on the east coast. It’s excellent cross training for sailor, skiers too. Both pick it up easily.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 01:32:33 AM »
Come to Maui Creek.  You can use my Bullet.  I'll cruise with you on the surfski.  That vid was cool and all but you only live once.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 02:43:32 AM »
Province-town to Scitiate looks sweet  Tuesday.

https://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/provincetown_cape_cod

I’d imagine in wind like that you aren’t surfing anyway.

Obviously summer is a better time to practice and it's just a tad long for a first outing. ;)
My first downwinder I actually did in december in temps like that. And I forgot my leash.

I actually took off to do that route the other way around on a windsurfer in '81 or '82.
But the wind threatened to fickle out and we ended up just sailing down the coast.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 03:43:40 AM »
Province-town to Scitiate looks sweet  Tuesday.

https://www.windfinder.com/weatherforecast/provincetown_cape_cod

P-town to the mainland or vice versa is a 20+ mile crossing and would require a lot of driving.

Barstable/Dennis to Wellfleet would be better. It's on a southwest line which is often the prevailing wind in summer. Wellfleet provides a big target to aim for like a pair of outstretched arms making it a very safe run. I'd love to try it.

West Yarmouth to Chatham on a westerly looks good too. 

I'll bet if Creek experienced some true downwinder conditions he would get hooked on it.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 04:16:43 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 06:39:55 AM »
I think great downwinding spots are rarer than hen's teeth. I've tried some spots that people describe as "good downwinders" and generally come away disappointed. It's not just the wind blowing point to point, it's also bottom contour, fetch, prevailing current and "features"  (aka, the stuff that scares the crap out of you). For me they come in two, maybe three flavors.

Maliko -- thousands of miles of fetch, highly variable bottom contours (but never super deep), lots of features, tricky currents. And you get to thread the needle at the end.

Southside -- No fetch, howling wind, shallow water with parallel channels, whacky currents, lots of short period steepness.

Viento -- No fetch, insane wind, constant current opposite to the wind, highly variable depth (sandbars, channels, rock piles) barges and high-velocity wind and kitesurfers crossing perpendicular to travel.

If you have good wind over deep water with no fetch, not much happens. If you have enough fetch you can have big rollers with surface texture and sub swell. That makes for fun.

High wind, no fetch requires a relatively shallow, highly variable bottom to make life interesting. There might be some good spots on the east coast, but it's going to take either local knowledge or a lot of exploring and disappointment to find them. Yeah, there's a continental shelf, but shallow is relative, and it seems to me that variable bottom contour is a big factor. The lead up to Camp One is often easy money, and then shit gets real. I think that's all bottom contour.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard