Author Topic: The SUP Crossing - Chris Bertish  (Read 24299 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: The SUP Crossing - Chris Bertish
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 08:27:23 AM »
Amazing stuff but I find the self promotion for motivational speeches a bit of a put off. When something inspiring is done in part as a publicity stunt it takes away from the accomplishment for me.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2017, 08:50:56 AM »
Ordinarily I would agree with you 100% Stoney.  But, in this case, I feel that CB has now sufficiently navigated through and beyond the realm of "publicity stunt".  I get the sense he is currently paddling in the realm of "holy shit".

Unlike a lot of other available motivational speakers in this world, (the Frank Abagnale types), CB is not going to get loads of free media attention, so (I say) more power to him.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 08:57:08 AM by Bean »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2017, 09:00:41 AM »
Totally in the "holy shit" zone. I'll even listen to Tony Robbins for a few minutes, sometimes--well, maybe never, but still. The guy has to make a living, and an effort of this magnitude doesn't come cheap--both in terms of equipment and simply removing himself from earning a living otherwise.

I'm good with whatever he's doing. It's an amazing accomplishment.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 09:44:59 AM »
No question we're in the holy shit zone but that doesn't prevent the label of publicity stunt..in fact the more difficult something is the greater the potential for publicity. It was the popup on the website to book motivational speeches taking precedence over donations to charity that bothered me. I don't blame the guy for making a living and no question this is a marketable achievement but it seems a bit over the top having popups for speech booking. Have the popup for donations take center stage maybe? I went on there to make a donation...still did it .....but was a bit bothered by the self promotion.

I may be a bit too sensitive about it. I have some problems with all the promotion being done in general....everyone looking to be a team rider, or for free stuff, posting how stoked they are with this or #hashtag that. I walked away from being a Starboard ambassador, and later a Kenalu rep, because I didn't want it to even remotely seem like the CCBC was about marketing or benefiting me personally. The perception of the CCBC as grass roots all volunteer...pure charity was more important to me. But then I don't have to make a living at it so it's easy to be critical I guess.

No question an amazing undertaking and the promotion doesn't take away from the accomplishment......just stains the motivation behind it slightly....maybe.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »
I understand your motivation dude, and I've always admired that in you.  But that's not everybody, and you never know the source of what might seem to be a flawed priority. I've been in too many meetings where the marketing priorities went haywire to judge something like that.

The delayed popup is the flavor de jour in web marketing, and deciding what to put in them takes second fiddle to the importance of having one. Any consultant/designer who doesn't insist on one would be considered an amateur. I can't wait to see what the next "required element" is.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 10:22:37 AM »
The popup pissed me off as well, and so I just closed the site immediately.

I can't see why this kind of antic should render Chris any more qualified to give a motivational speech than e.g. someone who has managed to care for a sick person for years under difficult circumstances and without complaint or holiday. Good luck to him, it's an amazing feat. But these feats are all about ego and guts and glory, and the popup just reminded me too much of that.

It's a subtle balance, getting the tone of this sort of stuff right. And I don't think his web designer has served him well here, whether or not it conforms to the latest best method for selling toilet rolls to bored housewives.

But I sure hope he makes it anyway. The strain on his family and loved ones must be profound.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 04:43:23 PM »

It's a subtle balance, getting the tone of this sort of stuff right. And I don't think his web designer has served him well here, whether or not it conforms to the latest best method for selling toilet rolls to bored housewives.

But I sure hope he makes it anyway. The strain on his family and loved ones must be profound.

Everyone hates them, but of course, they work extremely well, especially delayed popups. There was a time an agency could argue that a strong result with an irritating tactic ignored the people you piss off that will never trust you again. But even inexpensive or free web analytics tools will tell you exactly who you're pissing off and how much you should care.

At least the most egregious stuff like opening new windows or browser instances when someone tries to leave the site have pretty much disappeared or are easily blocked. Yahoo has been doing seriously slimy and aggressive stuff for a long time. I avoid them like the plague that they are. I don't know anything about Chris Bertish, but I consider it likely that his well-heeled sponsor helped with the site stuff. It's a fairly sophisticated bit of work.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2017, 04:51:20 PM »
I really like that grass roots quality of the CCBC. It feels kind of crunchy, and with good beer!
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2017, 07:06:54 AM »

I can't see why this kind of antic should render Chris any more qualified to give a motivational speech than e.g. someone who has managed to care for a sick person for years under difficult circumstances and without complaint or holiday. Good luck to him, it's an amazing feat. But these feats are all about ego and guts and glory, and the popup just reminded me too much of that.

It's bizarre that on many things we think so alike A10...maybe we should stay away from politics..... :).

Thanks Ian....it is kinda crunchy with good beer...and food... :) BTW....sent you a PM about my stupidity....I'm such an idiot sometimes..... :P
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 07:10:05 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2017, 02:19:06 AM »
Guys - so what if its a publicity stunt.. Whats wrong with that??

I think sour grapes - that he is on the water making a living while most do a 9-5 day job for somebody else's idea.

I got it continually on FB which is why i Fxxkd it off.

I make my money from water sports and everyone I know online but not in person gives me stick/hassle for it..

What gives ?????????

People say - Ego... Well I say, your bit of your brain that does 'focused attention' Is ego and everyone has one if you think not then you are paddling in Da Nile :D

I have plans to do a 4000 mile trip non stop - I will do it on my own, with no 'Media  Glow'....I did have a FB page and intend to make a deal of it, but whats the point?

In media attention - No point. The point is - the guy doing his own thing is Alive.... Truly alive. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 02:24:07 AM by UKRiverSurfers »
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2017, 05:11:11 AM »
Sour grapes? Don't be silly. I wouldn't change what I do to make a living....I enjoy my work. You're welcome to your opinion but it doesn't change my perception of the focus of the website. You don't see a difference in an accomplishment if it was done for passion or to help others or "because its there" vs doing it for the money?
I have no idea of his motivation....I suspect it's because its there and that Bill is right..the marketing folks involved went sideways. No idea..I just know it takes some of the shine off an amazing undertaking in my mind.
Bob

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2017, 05:33:01 AM »
Yes, I agree. I know a guy who knows Chris and he tells me he's a great guy and not at all pompous. So I'm sure this is just his website designer getting the tone a bit wrong.

But I think many of us are getting a bit tired of being barraged by requests from acquaintances for financial support for their latest japes, with the justification that it is for charity, when really you know that they are using the charitable aspect just to justify, legitimise, or pay for something they want to do anyway. And then there is the rise in "chuggers", and the dodgy tactics of some charities in targeting potential donors. I think this has perhaps created a certain jadedness (perhaps unfairly) around the whole issue of these kinds of events. Chris's amazing feat is made by the website to look like a way of selling him as a "motivational speaker", and this is no doubt very unfair, but it perhaps taps into this cynicism.

So, if Chris wants to do this kind of thing to prove something to himself, then that's great, and I will cheer him on. But if he then thinks that will persuade me to part with hard-earned cash to hear him tell me how great he is, and how I could be more like him if I only believed in it more, then frankly I'd be more impressed if he had looked after his sick elderly neighbour for the last 10 years, with no fanfare or expectation of reward or adulation. I would pay to hear that person speak over someone who had paddled to the moon and back.

But other opinions are available, for sure. Maybe I'm just a cynical old git.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2017, 06:41:31 AM »
I know I'm kind-of repeating myself, but I find the website to be refreshingly frank.

BTW, my 9-5 job is great, only trouble is, its usually more like 7 to whenever...(but with plenty of Zoner breaks.)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2017, 08:29:11 AM »
Paddling something that weighs 1350 lbs 4500 miles is a tad cray cray.  But can understand his motivation.
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2017, 11:31:25 AM »
There is certainly an abundance of folks asking for donations for events, myself included, but I don't agree on the reasoning. The CCBC costs every paddler for registration, lodging, logistics, etc... none of that comes from donors....it has cost me $1,000's personally to help coordinate it. The financial cost has been far outweighed by the benefits though.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 12:00:25 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal