Author Topic: If you could go back in time...  (Read 2558 times)

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
If you could go back in time...
« on: December 06, 2016, 11:35:05 AM »
Who else has dropped a pretty penny on a board not knowing about the major flaw / defect to come. If only I could go back in time...listened to my girlfriend..not dropped 3 grand on a board.

I've got an opportunity to buy either a

Naish 12'6 Javeline LE 2014
Naish 12'6 Javeline LE / GX 2015
Naish 12'6 Javeline Maliko 2016

At 50% off. I'm leaning towards the Javeline 2014 LE as it's cheapest and I prefer the look. But I purchased a 2014 LE 8'0 that fell apart within weeks, only to find out the first half of the years boards we're defective. (Of course Naish reimbursed, but what a pain in the butt).

Has anyone had or heard anything about these boards? Specifically the Javeline 2014.

Thank you!
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: If you could go back in time...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 12:24:29 PM »
2014 is fast n’ light. I also love the look. That slimness and lightness means its kind of flexy and dings easy. With love and care it holds fine but it won’t forgive if you bang it. Super versatile board. Flex isn’t as bad as it was says the new starboard marketing.

I never really fell in love with the toucan nose. I suspect I always get too much sidewind.

The Maliko feels a fair bit more solid. It’s really stable, really fast too. You can go a lot narrower with it. In chop the nose does poke a bit. In downwinds you need to be nimble to get back to see the nose out. Did I say stable and fast? Very good in all conditions.

You’ll get way better resell value from the Maliko, and you can go much narrower than you thought possible.

Why 12’6’s? Those boards are so light even 14’s are light.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 12:28:28 PM »
What do you want the board for?

I also have a 2014 Naish so I feel your pain. I never got any redress though...

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 01:30:49 PM »
2014 is fast n’ light. I also love the look. That slimness and lightness means its kind of flexy and dings easy. With love and care it holds fine but it won’t forgive if you bang it. Super versatile board. Flex isn’t as bad as it was says the new starboard marketing.

I never really fell in love with the toucan nose. I suspect I always get too much sidewind.

The Maliko feels a fair bit more solid. It’s really stable, really fast too. You can go a lot narrower with it. In chop the nose does poke a bit. In downwinds you need to be nimble to get back to see the nose out. Did I say stable and fast? Very good in all conditions.

You’ll get way better resell value from the Maliko, and you can go much narrower than you thought possible.

Why 12’6’s? Those boards are so light even 14’s are light.

Wow - Great info Yugi. Thank you!

What did you mean Flex isn’t as bad as it was says the new starboard marketing?

Also, what can you speak at all to the 2015 LE?
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

Sup44

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 01:31:38 PM »
What do you want the board for?

I also have a 2014 Naish so I feel your pain. I never got any redress though...

Which board did you buy?

And just general cardio. Most of my SUP'ing is for surf
8'2 Mad Dog Naish
8'0 Starboard Pro
7'10 Hokua Naish

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 01:37:30 PM »
I bought a 10-6 Nalu that chips as soon as you look at it and the decals all wore off in an instant. Maybe they just skipped a coat...

If you aren't going to be specifically racing in flat water then I wouldn't buy a flat water racing board like the Javelin. The Maliko would be a much better choice as an all-rounder for fitness and fun IMO.

But the best buys are usually those you buy used. Let someone else take the huge hit of depreciation. You'll struggle to find a used Maliko I suspect, however.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 02:27:49 PM »
Starboard this year started marketing it’s Allstar’s flex as a feature. We pretty much had a good laugh about that but I never thought flex was all that bad. Though most people hate flex. The 2014 Jav is definitely flexy. I’d be a bit worried about the 2014 Jav in or near surf. I figure it could bend too easy.

I love the look of the 2014 and it is blazingly fast. Only consider it if you are the kind of person who you know can handle a fragile board. In careful hands it lasts well enough.

Sorry I haven’t ridden the 2015 toucan nose much.

The 2016 Maliko is really a top all conditions board due to its stability. I wouldn’t call the Maliko a solid board, anything in that light weight needs to be handled with care, but it certainly is more solid than the 2014 version. Less rocker and even faster.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 03:33:12 PM »
I would do more to protect the two boards with carbon fiber exposed rails from sun damage.  I've purchased boards as the industry progressed through cycles and trends, and learned on everyone I had, but if I was honest knowing what I know now, I could have skipped a few steps on the stairs.  I've never been as satisfied with a board as the one I'm currently riding, and I don't see a need for another until this one falls apart.

And I'd have kept one or two I've sold.  >:(

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 06:36:18 PM »
and here I was getting excited about a hot-tub time machine. :-\
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 07:19:51 PM »
I think my progress was prudent.  I started out with inflatables for practice and safety starting out as a complete newbie to everything SUP and surfing.  That was a good choice, albeit massive depreciation of the products.

My first hard board was the fragile Vernor, and it really became a leak sieve needing frequent repairs.  It made me realize that a solid board construction is worth the price in reduced down time.

The expensive but used Prowave Innegra lasted over 18 months before it now is going to beater status, but it never needed repairs at all until some event tried to fold the nose off of it.  I have patched the leaks, but don't plan any expensive shop repair on it, figuring it is fully depreciated with the use it got.  I will continue to use it until it is toast, and sell it for scrap.

I now regard boards as disposables, and if the purchase/ eventual sale winds up averaging at about $6 per session in costs, that is OK with me.  If it goes longer and cheaper, all the better.

I do notice that the guys who have been around a long time tend to keep them for a year, sell them for a good price while intact, and then buy a new one.  If you really love a board, it might be worth keeping and patching for sentimental reasons.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal