Author Topic: Go Pro first vid - apologies extended!  (Read 9251 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Go Pro first vid - apologies extended!
« on: January 30, 2009, 08:56:20 PM »
If you're looking for exciting surf footage this is definitely not the vid to watch.. ;D

A flatwater test of the Go Pro today on Plymouth Harbor. I launched from the boat ramp...you'll see I wearing a PFD as requested by the harbor master last week...local reg from Nov to April for all vessels, PFD has to be worn. I won't wear it surfing but in the boat lanes I figure its best to keep them happy and no big deal.

Couldn't go into the inner harbor...locked up in ice...only a couple inches thick but more than I could paddle through.

When I got down to the boat ramp there was a lot of people out there on the breakwater just standing around with BIG binoculars and cameras with super large telephotos on them...strange anytime but especially for a Friday afternoon in the middle of winter. Turns out it was a bunch of birdwatchers. I asked what they were doing ...looking for a very rare artic ivory gull that had been seen in the area.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/01/29/mature-arctic-ivory-gull-seen-in-massachusetts-first-time-in-over-a-century/

I enjoy watching nature as much as most but these folks were frantic to spot this bird. As I was paddling back along the breakwater a gull that was snow white was sitting out near the tip...he flew off as I approached....away from where all the people were. I wasn't positive it was the bird. I didn't dare say a word though when I got back near the waiting birdwatchers thinking I might get lynched for scaring off the bird. When I got home and googled it...yup...that was it.... ::)...sorry folks...last I saw he was headed south.

Here's todays action...or lack thereof...with the Go Pro...what a great little camera. This is 1.5 hours of paddling edited down to just under 4 minutes. A little ice breaking was required...shaky moment there....and I was thinking about surfing some trawlers wakes but I was leashless so figured I 'd wait until next time to ask.

http://www.youtube.com/v/cinfmZhJG4w&hl
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 08:57:55 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Go Pro first vid - apologies extended!
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 09:10:56 PM »
Hey Axe-

No need for disclaimers! I can feel your stoke all the way over here on the West Coast. But I have to know- how did you turn the thing on without falling in? Or maybe you did go in? Like the shots when you paddle under bridges and piers- keep it up!

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 04:21:41 AM »
Nice one Stoney.. :).. I liked it.

DJ

Shnoover

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 07:18:02 AM »
Stone - Nice!  The wave shots/videos are always good, but this is a good example of how we can have fune all over.  Two questions - first, did the video editing software come with it or did you buy separate?  Also, are you wearing one of those inflatible type collar PFD's?  Thanks...

noworrieshawaii

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 07:19:52 AM »
Loved it... might be cool too to get some forward facing camera shots with the ice...

Too funny about the artic tern.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 09:32:50 AM »
Thanks for the kind words all.

John...I turned it on in the parking lot but the launch was edited out in the need to shorten the vid to match the music.

Schnoover...the video editing software is just windows movie maker, the freebie included with Windows XP. The little bubble captions and text box you see pop up are a new beta feature of youtube. Just turn on the annotations editor. You can also have them link to other vids, channels, etc. within youtube. You can add, edit and delete them anytime after posting the vid. We're going to see a lot more editing features added to youtube soon. I'm going to post a thread about some of the new stuff they are doing already.

I can't wait to see the DJ travelogues with GoPro shots added in... ;D

Tracy...I was thinking it would be cool to have GoPro's back to back. Wish I had brought my other camera with me. I could have gotten a shot of that gull. It was beautiful as gulls go...pure snow white. I felt bad for the folks that were waiting on the dock....one guy according to the news had flown up from TEXAS!
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

ECSUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 10:49:22 AM »
Nicely done BD, really liked the comments from the trawlers :)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 11:30:27 AM »
Hey Mike...can't wait to have you star in a vid. We need to get together soon. Next decent swell give me a call.
Bob

Tree

• Sunset Status
  • $BLA BOYZ$
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 11:39:29 AM »
Nice Vid Bob! I have a friend who has a lobsterboat and is willing to take anyone out for wake surfing or missions to outer spots. Beers and some $ for deisel and it's a go. Let me know if you and EC are ever into that and we'll hit it.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 12:08:13 PM »
Thats sounds like a sweet deal Tree. Definitely be fun to hit some outside spots. The wake riding looks cool but I think it would get old fast. You can't do much on them. Be fun to go out and do for a few hours though.
Bob

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 12:13:27 PM »
Schnoover...forgot to answer your 2nd question. Yes, it's a west marine inflatable PFD. Don't even notice it while I'm paddling.
Bob

Byronmaui

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 08:16:37 AM »
Nice vid and keep the stoke.

Byron

Paduan Sam

• Sunset Status
  • Born and Raised in da Islands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 12:06:01 PM »
Brrrrrrr.

Bring on more!!!!

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009, 12:15:16 PM »
Hopefully I'll have my 1st surf vid shortly. supposed to get some wild waves & chop tomorrow then cleaner on Wednesday.
Bob

Shnoover

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 09:39:28 AM »
Good to hear on the PFD, I am thinking of trying to attach one to the camelbak.  Thanks...

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal