Author Topic: Boards and other stuff from surf expo  (Read 7861 times)

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Boards and other stuff from surf expo
« on: September 12, 2016, 11:06:12 AM »
So I was able to get into surf expo to check things out.  There are usually fun parties and lots of eye candy. There are always neat things to see and some stuff that is just unusual.  Here are some of the things that I thought were interesting.

Wax mat.  This is cool because it is an alternative to the rspro hexagons.  You can buy it in smaller sections.  I put my hand on it and it seemed like it had pretty good grip.

Dry robe. This might be good for some of you guys in the colder areas.

Seat rack.  This might work well for some of the smaller boards in SUV’s

This NSP race board looked interesting with its deep footwells.

Fanatic, was able to see one of the stubby models up close.

Jimmy Lewis, had to stop by and see what the Jimmy Lewis booth had. Lots of boards to drool over in there. Especially since I now have a searcher for fishing. Was able to talk with Marlon a little bit about maybe modifying it slightly to make it a great fishing board.

the 9’6” supertech in person

Focus Rawson boards. These looked good.

Deep. Could not believe there were a few of these there.  I gave the guys some hell for not having a minion there though.  Apparently there is a Minion2 though.  From the photos of it looks like the tail is more pulled in.

Coreban was there with a Corbie, new versions of the platinum, platinum plus, and California models. These all looked real good.  I am liking the coreban sizes. I still want to try the corbie. I now have a platinum, not from the show, but a great deal on a used one. Waiting to get some good waves before I write about it. So far only had it out in some choppy crap and it ripped on the 2 waves where it actually lined up for me.

Kazuma, really stoked to see these guys there. There has been some good reviews of these boards and I am liking the sizing on them.

I made it to the show Friday morning and the 7’10 Tanto was already sold. Dammit!!

The 8’4” Tanto

F One looks to be stepping into the market with a bang.  There shapes looked good.  And they had 4 boards there that were made with riding a foil in mind because they all had K boxes.  I am digging this because I have the perfect place where I can ride a foil and have blast. So yes I am hoping to have a foil board in the future.

There were other brands there that  just did not excite me  even though I did look at some of their stuff like Naish, ECS, Paul Ohana, Doyle, bote.  Starboard was there but I honestly have no idea why because they had like 4 boards and which were nothing special.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Boards and other stuff from surf expo
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 11:24:19 AM »
Hey Ninja, great recap and photos from Surf Expo, we didn't exhibit this year but I almost feel like I was there.
So much for the "no cameras/photos " policy.

Looks like some really nice new boards and accessories..I was most surprised to see Coreban there again and it looked like they had quite an assortment.  Last year they didn't deliver many boards to the mainland U.S. and I had heard they were existing the U.S. market,  sure doesn't look like it

good job and thanks for sharing the photos.
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 01:27:54 PM »
Thanks for the tour Ninja, nice assortment of pictures!

The Wax Mat looks interesting!

Sexy looking boards and it's good to see some colors that don't look like NASCAR  :)

I'd say that SUP has entered its Modern Age.

Stefan

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 01:43:19 PM »
Did you happen to see anything new from 404?
NSP Puma 14' x 24"
NSP 8'7" Wave
Quick Blade Trifecta 86

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 03:42:08 PM »
Stefan, did not see 404 there.

Carib, never knew there was a no camera policy.  I asked a lot about taking pictures and no one seemed to have a problem with me taking photos.  To me it is the easiest thing when looking at gear. Take a photo of the name of the company or product to look up later. I am bad about losing business cards and stuff like that so this is much easier.

One other thing that was really cool.  I was able to ride one those "one wheel" things. Man was that fun. this is the one I am talking about.  https://onewheel.com/

Now there are several imitations of these things and they suck. Not gonna beat around the bush about it. I tried one and I felt like I was gonna break something.  they all have wheels that are about half the size and not real smooth torque.  I knew about the onewheel and decided I needed to try it to compare to the knockoffs. NIGHT AND DAY!!  I got up on it and balanced. The guy instructed me on how to do it, which was similar to the knockoffs.  The onewheel's acceleration and deceleration was smooth as butter and easy to control. I was carving in no time. It was definitely a blast and migh be on my Christmas list.

supsurf-tw

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 04:19:32 PM »
Some nice boards and some interesting boards. Thanks for putting the photos up!
Boards:

8-10 x 31 Egg
8-11 X 32 Double wing Fangtail Tom Whitaker
8-6 X 30 1\2  Inbetweener Tom Whitaker
8-4 x 30 Hyper quad Tom Whitaker (wife's now)
8-4 X 31 1\4.  Round (wide) Diamond Tail Quad Tom Whitaker
 9-4 X 30 1\2. Swallow Stinger Quad Tom Whitaker (ex wifes now)
10-0 Brusurf for teach

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 07:12:42 PM »
An awesome recap. Glad to see you were able to take lots of photos and that seat rack caught my eye since I might be getting a small suv in the future.

Thanks for sharing your recap and taking the time to post all of your photos.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 11:05:29 PM »

Carib, never knew there was a no camera policy.  I asked a lot about taking pictures and no one seemed to have a problem with me taking photos.  To me it is the easiest thing when looking at gear. Take a photo of the name of the company or product to look up later. I am bad about losing business cards and stuff like that so this is much easier.

I wrote that kind of tongue in cheek,  but for years the badges did state on the back no cameras or photography except for members of the press.  That was before all the cell phones which make it impossible to police.  I have worked other trade shows where cameras are not allowed..too many slimy people take photos and knock off a product or an idea before it can even come to market.

Thanks again for taking the time to take them and post them. 
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 12:04:37 AM »
I can recommend the dryrobe. I've used one of those for years.

I hate the scuppers on the new NSP board. I can't see the point of designing a flatwater specific race board and then ruining the hydrodynamics of it with scuppers (something you can measure the penalty of quite easily on surf ski's). Plus 'blue and green should never be seen'.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 05:39:27 AM »
^ I was wondering about those when I saw them. Wondering if it didn't add drag. Care to elaborate?

It is a super deep foot well. Guess extra power to drain trumps some hull drag.

I'd guess they've done their homework. Guy's like Titouan are the kind of guys who don't like the gaps in front of and behind the fin in US fin boxes. He didn't seem to worried about the drain thingies.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 06:55:12 AM »
Great recap Ninja, I only flew in there for Friday but got to speak with Jimmy about the new flat nosed BB Machine.  Super interesting stuff, in addition to deleting most of the concave, there are very subtle but significant changes to the rail in the tail area.  I told him I totally love my 9'6', he said I would dig the revised model even more.

Also saw Gerry Lopez at the Naish booth but he had his hands full spreading aloha to the endless line of autograph seekers. ;D.

Did you happen to get a check ride on one of the Onewheels?

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 07:28:55 AM »
I'd guess they've done their homework. Guy's like Titouan are the kind of guys who don't like the gaps in front of and behind the fin in US fin boxes. He didn't seem to worried about the drain thingies.

I doubt they've accurately measured the penalty of it.  At least on ski's you can retract them. On something like this, there would have been solutions that other brands use that don't require you to break the form profile like these.

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 08:37:31 AM »
Hey Bean,

I remember seeing you there. I am actually in the background of your photo with the red shirt between the boards. That was when I was waiting to talk with Marlon.

And yes I did ride the onewheel. It was a blast.

FastEddie

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 09:00:33 AM »
I was talking with Jimmys son on that B&B as well.   Loved the rails and how thin that board was.  Would have bought it but I ended up picking up the 8.2 Rawson Promo at the expo.  Got to spend a lot of time talking with Pat too.   mrBig Pat definitely knows you well and says hi.

Acrane7

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 09:27:14 AM »
While Starboard was light on product, mainly because of the upcoming 2017 Dealer Meeting in Cali, we did have some cool new products. New inflatable technologies, new Starlite construction, New Blue Carbon construction, interchangeable tail on the 7'5" Pro and new Pinetek construction. Lots going on for us!

The highlight, which is separate from Starboard were the Rayvolt Bikes. Built by legendary board builder Matt Rauzier, they are fast (30mph), fun and very stylish. The bikes offer a 1000watt pure sinewave motor and 21 amp battery. You can travel over 40 miles on a charge at full speed and over a 100miles on pedal assist. If you didnt get to ride them at Expo, check them out here: http://www.rayvoltbike.com/en and ask your local shop for a test ride. With the added board rack, this will get you to you local surf break super fast!

Anyways, thanks to everyone who stopped by to check the gear. Lots more info to come!

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM
foiled again