Author Topic: Handles on SB All Star  (Read 6042 times)

John65

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Handles on SB All Star
« on: April 08, 2016, 07:17:22 AM »
I am looking a buying a used All Star.  It has the handles on each side but none in the middle.  Somewhere I have seen a handle in the centre. 

Because of arm/shoulder problems I need a handle in the middle. What is the best way to put one in?  Are there plugs to attach one to or can I just screw one in? 

Thanks, John

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Handles on SB All Star
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 07:55:54 AM »
John, just to be sure, and you probably already know, you can't just screw straight into the board.  Straps that screw on use special screw inserts that are bonded into the board.  For a lightweight-foam board like yours this would require setting the inserts in a heavier foam surround and while totally doable, would be a little project.

There are other ways to install a center handle depending upon your preference for a built in or strap.  The simplest and most useful that I've installed was a Surfco EZ Plug handle on a 14 Fanatic.  This handle  relies on two EZ Plug anchor points that glue to the deck of the board.   The key is to make sure you have a good center point and clean deck area for the mounts.   Using the EZ plug as a template, mark out and trim away the pad and sand the deck area to 400grit or so, for each mount.  Using the adhesive in the kit, simply glue on as instructed.

If you are willing to cut into the board, I would also seriously consider the Blue Planet handle.

Understanding the All Star is pretty light, I would try to work with the existing handles before adding any more.

John65

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 09:41:20 AM »
Thanks for you ideas Bean
I have seen how you can glass in plugs on kite boards and windsurf boards.  I am guessing the one I saw had the plugs because they were the same straps.  I am not keen to do this in my living room of our apartment. 

I will check out the EZ plug.  Great suggestion.

John

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 03:52:33 PM »
The Starboard SUP I had had the built in handle so off center, that I had to push down on the front of the board to carry it.
I installed the EZ Plug handle.  It worked get.  Make sure you follow the instructions above.  I tried to be too conservative on  one end apparently.  It came loose.  The other end held.  It was easy to fix.  It would have been easier to do it right the first time.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 12:27:34 PM »
I would also look into NSI handles http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=251.

Super reliable and versatile. I installed few of those. They can come off if you need to as the handle is screwed to the base (two screws on each side) and you can attach other things there in case you need.

Have a look their website to see other ideas.
in progress...

zachhandler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2016, 02:59:07 PM »
What year Allstar? I have a new 2016 board and have the same problem. Have to push down on the front with one hand while holding the handle with the other to carry it, otherwise the tail drags on the ground. It is a great board on the water, but for the kind of money I paid the handle placement is unacceptable.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2016, 03:46:09 PM »
What year Allstar? I have a new 2016 board and have the same problem. Have to push down on the front with one hand while holding the handle with the other to carry it, otherwise the tail drags on the ground. It is a great board on the water, but for the kind of money I paid the handle placement is unacceptable.

Any handle like that on a board goes back. Sent a Naish back as the handle was out...shouldn't accept it.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 08:30:39 PM »
The 2016 AS has several different handle position options (multiple threaded inserts) to allow for balanced carry or offset.

zachhandler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 10:09:35 PM »
Bean - yeah i realize that. I mounted the strap in the screw holes that are in the middle of the deck right between where I place my feet.  I am using the fin that came with the board.

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 02:13:20 AM »
Amazes me how manufacturers can still cock this up.....any board with an offset handle should get sent back. You basically have a board that is a pain in the butt to transport.....I just don't accept them now and ask dealers to check first before they send them.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 03:32:04 AM »
I thought unbalanced carry handles were a thing of the past.  I would definitely not "live" with that defect.

TN_SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 07:44:25 AM »
I had an early production board (404 I think) that had the handle in the center of the board, not center of weight, before company caught and corrected the mistake. In 2013, off center handles were the norm from Starboard.
'13 SB Sprint, '15 SIC X-14 ProLite, RH Coastal Cruiser, Think EZE Ski, Kenalu Konihi 84  & Mana

zachhandler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 07:59:50 AM »
Either they are sloppy in where they place the handle, or they place it in the right spot but production is inconsistent to the point that the distribution of weight varies board to board.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 08:12:28 AM »
Or the USED board has bigger issues. The handle may have been put in the right place....at the time. Just add water.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

zachhandler

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2016, 08:15:44 AM »
Agree fully about the used board. Could be water inside.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal