Author Topic: Paddle weight?  (Read 7882 times)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle weight?
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 12:01:52 PM »
Quickbeam, let me know if you get a Bark Contender.  It looks like a great board.  Much too expensive for me, though.  I don't have the dough most people on this forum seem to have!  Anyway, I'm still trying to decide between the 2-piece and the 3-piece.  I hate the idea of more weight, even a couple ounces, but the 3-piece does seem more practical in my world.

Will do Spirit, although with the way our Canadian dollar is compared to the American dollar, not sure I’ll be getting one anytime soon. The price for boards has gone up substantially this year because of the dollar. I have spoken to a dealer who may be bringing a Contender in as a demo board and he has told me he’ll let me know if he gets it in. Really hope I get the chance to at least try the board. I just think a 27” wide board might be the sweet spot for me. If I try it and really like it, then I'll have a very difficult decision to make!

And good luck on your paddle. Looks like you decided on the two piece. Think you'll really enjoy it. Werner makes a great paddle.

I might get a chance to demo some Bics in May.  Paddle boarding isn't very big around here yet.  Best of luck with trying the Contender.  Maybe you'll get lucky and not like it! 
I might be willing to change my US dollars to Canadian dollars depending on how our election goes.  There might be a bunch of us trying to move to Canada!   :)

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 01:19:46 PM »
Quickbeam, let me know if you get a Bark Contender.  It looks like a great board.  Much too expensive for me, though.  I don't have the dough most people on this forum seem to have!  Anyway, I'm still trying to decide between the 2-piece and the 3-piece.  I hate the idea of more weight, even a couple ounces, but the 3-piece does seem more practical in my world.

Will do Spirit, although with the way our Canadian dollar is compared to the American dollar, not sure I’ll be getting one anytime soon. The price for boards has gone up substantially this year because of the dollar. I have spoken to a dealer who may be bringing a Contender in as a demo board and he has told me he’ll let me know if he gets it in. Really hope I get the chance to at least try the board. I just think a 27” wide board might be the sweet spot for me. If I try it and really like it, then I'll have a very difficult decision to make!

And good luck on your paddle. Looks like you decided on the two piece. Think you'll really enjoy it. Werner makes a great paddle.

I might get a chance to demo some Bics in May.  Paddle boarding isn't very big around here yet.  Best of luck with trying the Contender.  Maybe you'll get lucky and not like it! 
I might be willing to change my US dollars to Canadian dollars depending on how our election goes.  There might be a bunch of us trying to move to Canada!   :)

We would welcome you up here. That might be kind of unique - refugees from "The Donald"!!!
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 01:24:00 PM »
Oops - guess I shouldn't presume to know your political allegiances. I just assumed it would be because of Trump. Didn't mean to offend.

But I have to admit, if it was me and "The Donald" was elected as my President, I would be looking to go elsewhere!
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 03:13:05 PM »
Oops - guess I shouldn't presume to know your political allegiances. I just assumed it would be because of Trump. Didn't mean to offend.

But I have to admit, if it was me and "The Donald" was elected as my President, I would be looking to go elsewhere!

No offense taken, if that tells you anything!

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 01:00:16 PM »
I just received my 2-piece Trance, and there's quite a bit of play in the connection.  There was no play in my Nitro.  Now I'm having to talk to Outdoorplay and Werner about it.  :((

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 04:04:24 PM »
I just received my 2-piece Trance, and there's quite a bit of play in the connection.  There was no play in my Nitro.  Now I'm having to talk to Outdoorplay and Werner about it.  :((

That's too bad Spirit. I have the Nitro 3 piece and it also has no play in it. Good luck in getting a replacement!
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 09:18:41 AM »
Adjustable paddles tend to have a bit a play.  I use a stripe or two of 3M Edge Guard Tape (helicopter tape) place lengthwise on the upper paddle shaft.  Sometimes it's the full length of the adjustable range and sometimes just a couple inch piece at the top portion and at the bottom.  Using a quality and narrow piece of tape is key and I wouldn't try it with another product.  The fit should be just slightly firm and not tight!

It's even better as a blade edge protector and there's a bunch of threads on the topic.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 10:53:41 AM »
I just have the feeling that this one is slightly out of spec.  I'm shipping it to Werner today, so I should know in a week or so.  I have a pretty good feeling that they'll do right by me.
I'm not as impressed with Outdoorplay's after-sale customer service.  They pretty much gave me the boot to Werner, so I won't be shopping with them anymore.

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 02:02:57 PM »
I got my Trance 85 back from Werner today----it's so much better!  I wasn't pleased with how outdoorplay handled their end, but I'm more impressed than ever with Werner.  Their communication was great, turnaround time was good, and the paddle has only the tiniest bit of play now.  I'm not even sure it's the same paddle!

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2016, 02:55:38 PM »
Good for you Spirit. Really glad this worked out for you. We pay enough for equipment these days so there is no reason not to have it working the way it should.

And props as well to Werner. Is always nice to hear about companies that stand behind their products. I've said it before but it's probably worth repeating. I never judge a company in a negative way if I receive a defective product (unless of course they have a history of defective products). I will however judge a company on how they take care of the issue if there is a defective product.
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2016, 07:37:26 AM »

No worries!  I signed up for the waiting list for "Maple Match"!  Lol

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2016, 08:51:11 AM »
That's hilarious!!! Had no idea what "Maple Match" was. Had to google it.

Have you seen "Bricking it for Canada"? I posted it on another forum but will re-post here in case you haven't seen it. First go here: http://videosift.com/video/Bricking-It-For-Canada and then after that go here: http://brickingitforcanada.com/

And good luck with your "Maple Match"!
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2016, 10:20:50 AM »
That's hilarious!!! Had no idea what "Maple Match" was. Had to google it.

Have you seen "Bricking it for Canada"? I posted it on another forum but will re-post here in case you haven't seen it. First go here: http://videosift.com/video/Bricking-It-For-Canada and then after that go here: http://brickingitforcanada.com/

And good luck with your "Maple Match"!

That's so funny!  I wonder if Trump would want us to leave or stay?  He'd probably try to deport any of us who don't abide his Hitleresque values.

StinkBait

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2016, 10:35:46 AM »
@spirit4earth, did you end up sending the original Trance back to Outdoorplay, or to Werner?

I just read this thread AFTER ordering an adjustable 80-87.5 Trance 85 from Outdoorplay, hopefully they don't send me your return, lol! :o

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2016, 04:50:23 PM »
@spirit4earth, did you end up sending the original Trance back to Outdoorplay, or to Werner?

I just read this thread AFTER ordering an adjustable 80-87.5 Trance 85 from Outdoorplay, hopefully they don't send me your return, lol! :o

Lol!  No, I sent it to Werner.  I called outdoorplay before ordering the paddle, just to ask about how they package it for shipping etc, and whoever I talked to was extremely nice.  I got the paddle in good time, but it had what I thought (and Werner confirmed) to be too much play.  I called outdoorplay after getting the paddle, and the guy I talked to was a bit of an ignorant jerk.  They dropped the ball--or should I say, punted?  All they did was contact Werner for me, and then Werner emailed me after I sent pictures.  It all went smoothly, though not without worry, after that.  The paddle I got back, which may or may not be the original paddle I received, has just a tiny bit of play, and I'm comfortable with that.  The carbon blade is a bit different than the Nitro's in that the sanded edges of the blade are whitish---kind of strange.  I haven't had a chance to try the paddle because I STILL NEED A BOARD!!!!   AAARRRRGGGHHH!  :)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal