Author Topic: New to SUP, Rigid vs Inflatable for touring/expedition?  (Read 5754 times)

AndreM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
New to SUP, Rigid vs Inflatable for touring/expedition?
« on: April 05, 2016, 08:20:06 AM »
Hey all,

New to SUP, have been wanting to get into it for a while (have done a bit on rentals, though not a ton). I've read a little online, and plan on doing some shopping around over the next couple days, but looking for a bit of advice before I head into the cities.

Curious on how well ISUPs compare to rigid for multiday trips carrying gear, and how ISUPs handle a bit of wind/rougher water if weather moves in. I understand shape will have a fair bit to do with it, kind of curious if they just get blown around more due to lighter weights.

For a few rider details, 6'3", ~210lbs. Will be riding mostly lakes initially, but moving to Vancouver Island this summer, so will have the opportunity to ride the ocean as well. Storage/carrying ability isn't an issue, just looking into ISUPs for the possibility of air travel in the future, but not really a necessity at this point.

Thanks!

TropicalYankee

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New to SUP, Rigid vs Inflatable for touring/expedition?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 09:16:47 AM »
Storage/carrying ability isn't an issue, just looking into ISUPs for the possibility of air travel in the future, but not really a necessity at this point.

Get a hard board, rent when you travel.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 09:19:52 AM »
yep. ^ said more concisely than I.

I believe you answered your own question in your last sentence. At your weight get a rigid if you can. iSUPs are pretty good but at your weight begin being a bit bendy.

Unless you’re on the road all the time get a real 14’ ocean and all-round capable board. I live on lake and our extended crew all have 14’ downwind boards. The new hybrid race/DW boards may be just a tad faster, a real DW board better if you are loading with gear and go far (stable).

There are a lot of mixed messages about downwind board’s flatwater performance (no doubt they rule in rough). We (lake folk) all use them, a lot of people having converted from race boards (which suck in chop). We find they have a similar flatwater speed to racier boards. Some insist that they are slower but also some chime in with faster GPS times. I say it’s close enough if you aren’t planning on winning races. Second or third is good enough, right?

If you travel occasionally find a board to rent where you’re going and score a decent 3 piece paddle to can take with you. Blue Planet has a nice 3 piece paddle. I also like the quick blade , just dont know much about others. Really you can paddle on any old board occasionally but you do want a good paddle.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 09:21:36 AM by yugi »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 10:28:29 AM »
Downwind boards are generally around about 5% slower than a similar width and construction pure flatwater board when in flat water. But of course, downwind they are faster, and in chop and wind they give you a much nicer time, usually. So if you want to race in flat water then don't get a DW board. But for most other paddling they can offer a much nicer paddling experience even when you aren't going downwind, IMO.

One issue with inflatables for expeditions is to ask yourself what you'd do if the board went pssssst! with all your gear on board. ISUPs are pretty tough, but they can deflate. With a hard board, you are tethered to a huge flotation device that would still float even if eg. a boat hit you and cut it in half.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 03:40:03 PM »
I agree with the above posts. Get a hard board. I have both, and like the hard boards much better. And it of course depends on the board, but as a general rule, hard boards will be much better in wind than inflatables.

What part of the island are you going to?
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

AndreM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 07:00:21 PM »
Hey thanks all the responses! Kinda figured it would go that way. Now to see what's available around AB or if ordering will be the best option.

@Quickbeam, Victoria.

beaner

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 08:11:53 PM »
Inflatable or hard board, I would look at Touring boards over DW boards. Built to carry gear/loads and likely better stability. Nice models available from Starboard, Tahoe and others. If you're in AB, you should check out Easy Rider in Edmonton.

I would not dismiss inflatables either. The Red Paddle 13'2" Explorer seems highly regarded as do Starboards. To me, worrying about a puncture is like worrying about flying and the plane crashing... Possible, but pretty unlikely. Finding a decent board when travelling is not always easy, especially a quality touring board.

AndreM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 08:32:17 PM »
Was actually in Easy Rider today, probably going to go back there Friday to have another look. Going to call around a few different places.

Looking around online, have seen a few boards that interest me, and I think I can get in AB.

Anybody heard much about the 2016 Starboard Expedition 14’0″ x 30″ or Boardworks Great Bear Expedition 14’0″x30″?

Otherwise, any recommendations for boards?

Cheers

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 09:10:52 PM »
Victoria is paddling nirvana. Congrats. I was staying near the University for a course and got out a few times in the Cordova and Oak Bay areas on the ocean. Beautiful. Chatham islands and Discovery island completely exceeded my expectations.

I have a bit of experience with the Great Bear and the Starboard Expedition is a relative unknown right now. Both boards are really big and the Starboard is listed at 38 pounds. Boardworks doesn't list the board weight, but it is in the low 30s. Definitely a bit lighter than my Naish Glide by feel, which is 35 pounds+. The Greatbear isn't fast on flat water but would make a very good coastal touring board, and handles rough water well. I wouldn't recommend the Greatbear 14 to a lighter weight rider who isn't into overnighters or all day paddling with a lot of gear, but it could work out well for you as a first board and something to keep around if you get a faster board.

Boardworks has included some good video of the Greatbear being used in mixed conditions. It's definitely up to being used in challenging conditions. I used to live in Alberta, and there isn't much for options other than easyrider. You got mec and places like Sylvan lake?, Undercurrents and Rednik surf in Calgary. Bowvalleysup carries boardworks but it's doubtful they have any 14 footers in stock unless you special order.

http://boardworkssurf.com/s/great-bear/
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 09:25:56 PM by robon »

AndreM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 09:20:55 PM »
That's awesome to hear about Victoria, very excited to get there! SUP, along with Kiteboarding, and the landscape on the island as a whole. Will definitely put those spots on a hit list.

Yeah, I'm looking for something to do overnighters (along with some day stuff of course), and as I said in the first post, 6'3, around 210 lbs, so I don't think I'd be considered a lighter weight rider haha. Big reason I'm looking at boards like this is to expand on the overnights out and away.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 09:35:54 PM »
That's awesome to hear about Victoria, very excited to get there! SUP, along with Kiteboarding, and the landscape on the island as a whole. Will definitely put those spots on a hit list.

Yeah, I'm looking for something to do overnighters (along with some day stuff of course), and as I said in the first post, 6'3, around 210 lbs, so I don't think I'd be considered a lighter weight rider haha. Big reason I'm looking at boards like this is to expand on the overnights out and away.

Cool. Yeah, if you're into long trips and overnighters, the Greatbear would work out well, and it's actually not that heavy at all for how much volume it has. I'm in that 210+ range have a Naish Glide 14 x 29 set up as a touring/overnighter and it works well for heavier conditions and does ok on flatwater. A lot of options  these days. I would strongly consider something that is well rated in ocean conditions because sooner or later you will be tested whether you want to be or not. Tidal exchanges, Tidal race, wind, swell and current. It'll get you ;)

AndreM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 09:39:43 PM »
Awesome. The Naish eh? Will have to take a look at that as well

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 11:02:19 PM »
Hey Andre,

You're going to love Victoria, and all over the island. You've got the island and are also close to some of the Gulf Islands. Great location. Have you thought about just renting and trying different boards for now, and waiting until you get to Victoria before you purchase? I'm betting you will have a lot more selection in Victoria and surrounding area than you will in Alberta.

And as for the Naish Glide, I know nothing about it, but I did just tonight see an ad for one in Craigslist. This probably isn't any help to you, as it's in the Seattle area but thought I should at least let you know about it. https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/5517498378.html
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 11:06:30 PM »
ULI inflatables are great touring boards and you can have one custom built to your specs.  Do a search for the posts by Levity on their fully loaded expeditions.  Here's a piece about a paddle down the Danube last year fully loaded with a dog: http://www.supthemag.com/travel/field-notes/1777-mile-expedition/#Cb4AKa2UWLtpohOl.97

Have fun!
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

AndreM

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 11:39:38 PM »
Yeah, I can't wait to get there haha

Unfortunately the only local rental where I'm at is around $40 an hour, and a quite limited selection. Kind of kills the rental motivation pretty quick. Have a bit more time off work, so will make a few phone calls around the province, willing to travel if need be.
Thanks for the craiglist link, yeah a bit far off for that one though haha.

Will see how tomorrow goes.

Cheers capo, will have a look, but I am leaning more towards rigid.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard