Author Topic: Flat water recommendations  (Read 5327 times)

Holdsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Flat water recommendations
« on: April 03, 2016, 07:18:58 AM »
Hi all!

New to the forum, but have been reading for awhile.

I am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. I am 5'11 and 170 lbs and I live up in the mountains and so I am looking for a board that is suited for pond and lake paddling. This will be mostly casual. Certainly no racing or the like. No choppy water. No waves. There may be the occasional portage (carry) between ponds, etc. But primarily I just want a quality board to allow me to explore a little.

I'm having a negative reaction to inflatables for some reason. Primarily because of the 'ain't nobody got time for that' factor. I just don't want to be bothered pumping something up before I use it. I just want to pull into the launch, take the board off the roof, and go. But I suppose I could be convinced otherwise if you think an inflatable is the best choice.

I'm guessing what I want is a quality all-arounder, but I am not sure I understand what 'touring' refers to, so I haven't ruled that out.

Someone else recommended I check out the ISLE Classic Soft Top. It is very affordable. Almost too affordable, it costs around $600 and most of the others I have seen are right around, or just over, a grand. It makes me question its quality. I'm old enough to have learned the lesson that it is better to pay a little more up front for something of quality, than to have to buy something twice when you break or grow out of the first one. But then again, maybe this is just one of those products that is both quality and affordable. That would be great if so.

I keep trying to find current reviews online. Was hoping for a "best of breed" type review, or a "we looked at 10 SUPs for 2016 and here was the winner!" kind of thing. The sorts of stuff you find for most other products. But I have been striking out. Hoping you can help! Thank you in advance.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Flat water recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 08:13:03 AM »
It sounds like you do indeed need a touring board. Touring generally refers to flat water paddling (or less often long distance ocean paddling) where speed is not the main goal.

You don't really need an "all around" board because you are only going to be doing one sub-genre of SUP: flat water touring/exploring/fitness. All-round boards are generally for those who might want to surf waves as well, or do all the other disciplines, from white water to yoga, fishing to light downwinding etc.

I'm sure that those who live closer to you can advise you as to what you can get. But probably everyone will tell you that time spent demoing boards is absolutely invaluable.

My advice would be to buy a quality used board rather than a cheapo new one.

Just Google "touring SUP" and then the names of the main brands like the ones that advertise on this forum. See what appeals to you. The main things to consider other than price are weight, length, and stability.

Once you've identified some potential boards, come back and tell us what you are considering and why, and we'll be able to give more precise advice, hopefully. We also need to know your experience level and how athletic you are.

Good luck - choosing a board and paddle is all part of the fun! The reason you don't see multiple board comparisons is because there are so many different things that people want from SUPs that it wouldn't really make much sense. Well, I suppose you could get a whole bunch of 10-6 all-round boards together and compare them, but you wouldn't learn too much, it would be a lot of work to do it justice, and the review would be out of date in a few weeks because equipment changes so fast.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 08:16:18 AM »
HS, I am a proponent of 'buy an expensive brand' - Used.  Ones that need repair are really sweet.  I needed a board where I can take Giovanni, our 46lb doodle.  My 12-6 quasi-racer was too tippy and the the deck area is too domed.  I found a 12' TAHOE with two dog pad options, paddle, leash, etc.. for about half the price of the board.  I can be critical of some of the aesthetics, but it paddles fine...

And save yourself, don't even waste your time buying one of those bargain boards used, you'll end up with a water-soaked log headed for the landfill. I pumped lots of kites over a decade, I know what you mean; no more pumping for me! I want the time and energy put in the paddle.  Good searching/luck.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 08:36:26 AM »
I think you would regret buying an inflatable. I know I would.

Don't get a race board. They may go fast but most are too narrow for casual touring.

Don't get an all around board. It will be slow.

You want a touring board.

You want something at least 12 feet long.  14 footers have advantages such as more speed and a bit more stability as long as they are light enough to carry and you have room to store them. I prefer 14 footers myself.

Width is critical. Too narrow and it becomes like work. Too wide and it's a dog. Keep your width between 28 and 32 inches.

If you deal with choppy conditions, you might consider an ocean touring board.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 08:54:18 AM »
Soft Top boards usually weigh 10 to 12 lbs. more than a the same board without the soft top.  They are good for rental fleets, but not so much for regular personal use.

Holdsup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 09:44:07 AM »
Oh man, thank you SO much. These replies are great. Very informative.

I now know that I am really looking for more of a touring board. That alone is invaluable information to me! So again, thank you.

I live in the middle of the Adirondack Park, it is the largest publicly protected area in the US (6 million acres), and I say that just to give some context to what comes next...

Demo'ing boards is not a real option for me. I drove a few hours to the closest Eastern Mountain Sports, and rode some of their rentals and demo'd some of what they offer... but it was very limited. Not very informational. Truth is, no one around me really does much stand up paddle boarding or knows much about it. I'm sure there are some gurus here, probably a small packet of enthusiasts somewhere, I just don't know them and wouldn't know where to look. The paddle outfitters, as you can imagine, are mostly focused on canoes/kayaks, with an emphasis either on fishing or back country adventure.

Buying a used board will also be a challenge around here for the same reasons.

Regardless of the reasons, I'm in a position of likely buying something sight unseen. So any recommendations or leads I can get for specific boards will go a LONG way to helping out. As is I am getting ready to throw a dart at a dart board and choose that way! Ha. So don't worry about giving me a 100% expert opinions, anything at all is better than what I have to go on now.

So far I've browsed sites from Yolo, Isle, and Bote.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 10:11:43 AM »
I agree that touring boards seem to be the best bet for what you're after.

Check out the Tahoe sup and the lakeshore paddle board websites. Their Facebook and twitter feeds will get your stoke up for mountain paddling and lots of options for touring boards, gear, and what to look for. Tahoe usually has package deals on previous years gear with a board like the 12' x 30" Rubicon going for around a grand including paddle and leash.

Starboard has a large range of touring boards and the elite range would have something that would work for you. Lengths range from 9.6 to 14 for the elite touring and are offered in different constructions. Lighter you go, the more you pay. 12' to 12'6 are good length recommendations and 29" to 30" wide are typical widths for touring boards.

HanaSurf

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 10:28:59 AM »
I'd agree with Robon on the new Starboard Touring boards. The 12'6" comes in 30" and 31.5" widths while the 14' comes in 30". I'd guess a 12'6" would be best at your weight and more maneuverable in the small lakes and streams you might be paddling. I have not paddled them but have seen them at a local dealer here and I liked them a lot.They have front and rear tie down bungies set up nicely for touring.  They start at about $1400 and go up to over $2000 depending on construction materials(wood,carbon). I like the basic construction for durability and weight difference is very little except carbon is lighter but fragile around stumps and small rocks on the shore you would be launching at. Check them out on the Starboard website.
 The Starshot construction is about same weight as the wood and much better priced.   
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 10:33:44 AM by HanaSurf »

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 10:31:18 AM »
Our "One World" SUP model would work really well for your venue...they are being paddled on flat water from Alaska down to Australia...

Very fast rocker lines...great glide with outstanding stability...
We are also offering a new value priced production version at $1099...vacuum bagged sandwich construction with bamboo veneer top and bottom...along with our Australian Pine and brushed carbon constructions...plus, Made in USA customs...

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/one-world-series

http://supsports.com/standup-paddle-boards/california-custom-series
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 01:24:11 PM »
I just bought a Bark “Competitor” as a touring board. I haven’t been on it a lot yet, but so far I really like it. It’s 12’ 6” x 29” wide. Is super stable and tracks very well. For a board this wide, is also pretty fast. I got mine in the AST construction, which is cheaper than carbon. Board is still pretty light. I weighed it at 28.8 pounds. It might be more than you’re looking to pay, but as you said, you do get what you pay for.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 01:29:07 PM »
One other thing I forgot to mention. No matter which board you end up with, it would be a good idea to invest in a good paddle. A good quality, lightweight, carbon paddle will be a friend for life.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 08:03:08 PM »
Maybe a 12'6 Bic Ace-Tec Wing?

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 09:32:55 PM »
At your height, weight & desired usage, you have LOTS of great options.  I would definitely recommend a touring board over anything that looks like surfboard-inspired.  Either 12'6 or 14' long, and between 28-30" wide.  That would make a great first board, the narrower ones may take some balance training in the beginning, but soon you'd have it dialed. 

Typically you'll be paying MORE for lighter weight boards, which tend to be less durable (but not always!).  If you're doing some portage, though, or even long walks from the parking lot, a board that weighs less than 25 lbs. feels like a dream.  Especially if it has a comfortable handle.  Over 30 lbs would be getting on the heavy side, IMO. 

For touring, gear tie-downs are great.  But don't let that stop you if you find a great deal, as these can be purchased aftermarket and installed on the deck. 

Something like an Amundson 12'6 TR or TRX 29, Starboard Elite Touring 12'6 or 14', or Naish Glide 12'6 come to mind.  The aforementioned Tahoe boards paddle nicely, too.   

San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 05:48:40 AM »
HS..  It was too late to edit my post but I saw your comment about being isolated. You may not be trying hard enough. An easy way to check Craigslist is to use http://www.searchtempest.com    ..simply enter a variety of ways people may list a board (SUP, paddle board, standup board, etc.) and give yourself a max distance.  Using 12983... I found a few.  Here's an easy one..  (longer/heavier than I'd paddle but an easy re-sell at that price ..if you really get into this)

http://glensfalls.craigslist.org/bod/5518788002.html

Just make sure you buy a really decent paddle.  ..used (just not broken) is good.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard