Author Topic: Board upgrade recommendations  (Read 4055 times)

C.I.Sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Board upgrade recommendations
« on: March 29, 2016, 09:32:05 AM »
Hello all,

Long time reader but first time poster.  I started SUP about a year ago and, like all of you, quickly became addicted.  I have been riding a 2014 Naish Glide 12'6" in the Puget Sound in Washington State.  Lots of calm days, but a lot of chop, wind, and swells as well.  My son has started paddling with me which has really been great.  He enjoys my Glide so I thought this would be a great opportunity to upgrade to a 14'.

I am ~195lbs at 5'10" (down from 235 a year ago thanks to sup) and am hoping to lose more.  I am totally comfortable balance wise on my Glide which I believe is 31" wide.  I am looking for a 14' board that is good for open water conditions and is faster than my current one.  I mostly just do touring and I do not plan on racing.  I have a strong interest in trying some downwinding.  Right now I simply paddle into the wind and try to ride some swells on my way back.

The board choices are so numerous I am getting lost in making a selection.  Plus I do not really have any good demo options near me.  I have found a used 2013 Bark Laird as well as a 2013 14' Naish Glide nearby.  Not sure if either of these would be a good step up or not.

I appreciate all the advice.

ipup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Board upgrade recommendations
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 05:09:54 AM »
Here's some information on the Naish Glide 14':

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,29346.0.html

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 05:54:24 AM »
Both the boards you mention would be a useful upgrade. The Bark Laird is more of a flat water touring/race board than a downwinder, so it depends how serious you are about that. It goes upwind well though. You'll probably find the stability fine.  The Naish, if it's the 14x27.25" wide one (Mark 2) will be a lot more performancy than your current Glide, but balancing in chop might be challenging at first.

My original thought was that a 14x29 Glide (mark 3) might be ideal for you, if you can get one in the lighter construction. A good performance/stability compromise, and looks good too. Lots of info on this forum about it.

kjulks

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 06:05:36 AM »
Have you thought about looking for a used Bullet?

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 08:07:13 AM »
If you decide to stick with Naish, then the 14 X 29 is a good choice for a touring board that can hand the bumps really well, and the GTW wood version is supposedly around 2-3 pounds lighter than the GS version. Still not light by any stretch at around 32-33 pounds, but a bit lighter than the GS and I like the look of the wood. I don't even know if Naish makes the GX carbon Glides anymore, but they come up on the used market from time to time. You can get previous years 14 x 29 Glide (v3) on blowout pricing at various retailers. I've seen the 14 X 29 Glide on sale as cheap as 999.00 to 1300.00 new in the GS construction. That's basically costco/chinese pop out pricing for an excellent touring board that performs really well in rough/dw conditions.

Be sure to check out the dimensions of that 2013 Glide in your area. Chances are it's the 14 X 27" and not the 29" board. Totally different boards if it's the narrower version.

You might want to consider last years boards on sale from other brands such as Amundson (TRX 14, TRT) Bark Downwinder, etc

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 09:46:32 AM »
Easy to make a day trip to the gorge and hit Big Winds. They have a huge selection and they demo everything, but more importantly everyone in the shop knows their stuff. You might even do a downwind lesson and some viento runs while you're there. Be careful though, driving to the Gorge can quickly become a part of the addiction.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 10:11:43 AM »
Not to contradict Pono Bill but...

As someone who sells boards in both freshwater and saltwater boards paddle significantly different in freshwater (Gorge) vs saltwater of a  the sound

I have no opinion on Big Winds operations

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 10:49:48 AM »
Not sure I go along with this statement;
freshwater and saltwater boards paddle significantly different

There is a bit more float in saltwater but we're talking big boards with a lot of volume. I sure can't tell the difference.

I will second Pono's advice and suggest a trip to Hood River. Your best option is to ALWAYS  try before you buy. Very few locations can offer the conditions and boards to demo like the Gorge and Big Winds has a very large selection in their rental fleet.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 12:16:47 PM »
Not sure I go along with this statement;
freshwater and saltwater boards paddle significantly different

There is a bit more float in saltwater but we're talking big boards with a lot of volume. I sure can't tell the difference.

I will second Pono's advice and suggest a trip to Hood River. Your best option is to ALWAYS  try before you buy. Very few locations can offer the conditions and boards to demo like the Gorge and Big Winds has a very large selection in their rental fleet.

Interesting statement considering Big Winds sells several brands known for excelling in open ocean environments, but I'm not sure what the difference is between a freshwater and saltwater board. I guess some boards with traditional displacement shapes and lower rocker are more suited for calmer environments more associated with freshwater/inland?

C.I.Sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 07:21:44 AM »
Thanks for the advice.  I am actually hoping to take a trip to hood river this summer to do a downwinding class.  In the meantime, I am hoping to find something so my son and I can start going out together.  If I demo a board there that I like I can always sell one of the boards and upgrade again later (who doesn't like that).

Based on the information provided, I think I will pass on the 2013 (27" Glide).  I am intrigued by the 2014 model (29" wide) model.  I guess my question, as a relative noobie, is does the extra length of the 12'6" versus the 14' and the 2" of width (31" in my 12'6" ad 29" on the 14') really make a lot of difference?  My 12'6" glide has been great but it is the only board I have ever ridden.  Will the 14' be an upgrade?  Will it be that much faster?  Will it be much harder to balance?

I have been keeping my open for a Sic but have not found anything used in a 14'.  Which model would be best for what I am looking for?  Any comments on the 14' Larid Bark?

Thanks.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 09:41:36 AM »
They have a huge selection and they demo everything, but more importantly everyone in the shop knows their stuff.
Truer and more quoted words...
We've all said it or heard it, there is nothing that comes close to a demo. Everybody has their own ratio of weight, age, balance, skill, athleticism, budget, favorite spot, weather and time they can dedicate to the sport. Saying that one board is magic for everyone is near impossible.  Good luck and enjoy your search.  :)

RichH

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 11:06:59 AM »
Easy to make a day trip to the gorge and hit Big Winds. They have a huge selection and they demo everything, but more importantly everyone in the shop knows their stuff. You might even do a downwind lesson and some viento runs while you're there. Be careful though, driving to the Gorge can quickly become a part of the addiction.

Another benefit of a day trip is that if you buy, the sales tax savings will more than cover your gas money.  8)

Rich
Rich

C.I.Sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 03:32:11 PM »
Still hoping to get some input on whether the 29x14 glide will be very different from my current 30x12'6 glide.  I found a 14 for sale used but don't want to end up with essentially the same board.  Thanks.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 03:42:27 PM »
Still hoping to get some input on whether the 29x14 glide will be very different from my current 30x12'6 glide.  I found a 14 for sale used but don't want to end up with essentially the same board.  Thanks.
It will be extremely different. It's a completely different board in nearly every way.

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
Today at 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
Today at 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal