Author Topic: Long narrow windsurfable iSUP  (Read 2929 times)

beaner

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Long narrow windsurfable iSUP
« on: March 27, 2016, 10:40:09 AM »
Anyone know of an iSUP model at least 12' long, 28" or less wide, that also has a windsurf base attachment? There are a few race models with these dimensions, but nothing with a windsurf base attachment that I'm aware of.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
Re: Long narrow windsurfable iSUP
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2016, 08:24:32 AM »
I think you are asking more than current iSUP technology can accomidate A Narrow Long iSUP using a WS rig would twist to much for any kind of ws performance I'm told

Closest width is 31"that will WS

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2016, 09:35:13 PM »
Just add a base attachment to whatever board you want. PM me if you want something to experiment with. I know of a few prototypes and retired race boards in the 26" - 28" range that could be fun. They're stiff and will not twist.

West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

beaner

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 03:11:54 PM »
Capo... That's sounds intriguing.  I'm skeptical though that some sort of glued-on attachment would be strong enough. Then there's figuring out optimal position. I was hoping to find a production board that had this figured out. Starboard makes so many niche models and comes from a windsurfing heritage, I'd think an Astro Racer with windsurfability might be something they would offer.

capobeachboy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 06:06:54 PM »
They're plenty strong - that's what everyone uses. Steamroller made one a few years ago on an early Lopez model.  It's basically a base with a threaded brass insert and a layer of PVC over the top. You've got me intrigued so I might build one just for fun.
West Coast Distributor
Dolphin Surfcraft
DEEP Ocean Boards
Ambassador/team rider/rep
KeNalu Paddles

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 08:27:16 PM »
The main problem I see is the fin, iSUPs have short plastic fins, too short to go upwind.

beaner

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 04:44:43 AM »
Capo... Looks like you've got the know-how and resources. If you do a proto and it works out, let me know. Maybe a custom ULI is what I need.

I'm not looking for windsurf raceboard performance, just something that sails along decently in a light breeze like my old Mistral Superlight. All the windSUP's currently offered seem very beginner oriented.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 07:51:14 AM »
Beaner,

Are you looking for an iSUP that performs as well as your old (but hard construction) Superlight

That's a tall order even in todays technology

If you are looking at hardboards that paddle well and windsurf even better I gotta say the Fanatic Ray is SUPER FUN

let me know

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

baddog

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Long windsurfable iSUP
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 08:09:54 AM »
Check the 12'6" x 31" Starboard inflatable WindSup.  Even comes with a daggerboard slot.  The thing should fly!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal