Author Topic: Mysterious cracking of Starboard ASAP board  (Read 2683 times)

justal

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Mysterious cracking of Starboard ASAP board
« on: March 25, 2016, 07:56:42 AM »
Has anyone else had any issues with Starboard ASAP construction boards mysteriously cracking. I thought this was supposed to be the ‘As Strong As Possible’ construction but mine has had minimal, very light use and it has cracked across it’s width. Either the construction isn’t fit for purpose, there’s a fault with my individual board or it was damaged when I bought it and I’ve only recently noticed it. So far though Starboard have been unhelpful:

Photos and more info here: http://www.alananna.co.uk/blog/2016/mysterious-starboard-sup-damage/

Al.

SuppaTime

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious cracking of Starboard ASAP board
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 08:52:32 AM »
I had problems with a SB SUP board and they did not want to do anything about it either. Said it was my fault that the deck was delaminating and mushy. I found out that others had experienced the same thing.  I had it repaired and decided to never buy another Starboard.
Slippahs:
Locals size 13
Reefs size 13
None size 13

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 10:26:09 AM »
Al, in your post on the other site, you state that your only conclusions so far are that either

"1.The board was damaged when I bought it
 2.The board construction is extremely fragile"

But there is of course a third possible conclusion that you can not ignore,

3.The board may have been damaged in use

As you may know, surfboards and SUP's can buckle even in the smallest waves without the rider noticing.  In fact, in smaller waves it is easy for the nose to get hung up on the bottom.  From your photos, it looks like you may have a classic buckle. 

justal

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 11:42:55 AM »
I'd agree with you there if it weren't for the fact that I'm the only one who has used it so I know for certain that it has only been used on flat water and a few times in very small, mellow waves and that I've barely fallen off it - I've never nose-dived it or collided with anything and there hasn't been a single occasion where it could have got damaged like this.

This board has only been used in the calmest of conditions as I have a shed full with around 15 other boards that I can use when the conditions are bigger and all of these boards have over the years been out in much bigger, beefier conditions and had much much more use and not one of them has been creased, buckled, cracked or snapped like this has. I have snapped one windsurf board in the past (about 10 years ago) but that was examined by Naish and they decided immediately that it was a manufacturing fault and therefore replaced it.

There's no way given the extremely light use that this board has had that it should have buckled, especially considering the fact that it is ASAP constructions designed for use in schools and hire facilities etc.

Al.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 12:02:59 PM »
Hopefully SB will give it an honest look for you.  Since you already have taken the board apart, maybe you can send them a piece of the buckled skin to analyze to test for a defect. 

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal