Author Topic: Looking for my first inflatable  (Read 6867 times)

Aude

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Looking for my first inflatable
« on: March 24, 2016, 12:14:06 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and to paddle boarding (few afternoons last summer).
I would love some advice to help me choose my which first inflatable board purchase.
I'm a woman, 5'3, 110lbs, and I looking for a board with an excellent glide and tracking.
I was tempted to choose a 12'6x28 as I have a good balance and I like being challenged but I'm going to paddle with my dog (41 lbs) almost all the time so I thought a board a little bit wilder would be more comfortable.
 What do you think ?

I live between Lake Ontario and Lake Erie and these are the boards I am considering:
JP Australia WS 11'4"x 30"x6", 290L
Fanatic Ray Air Premium 11'6"x 31"x6, 295L
Starboard Astro Touring Deluxe 11'6x30"x6", 299L

They are all 6" thick as I want to paddle on the winter (and stay dry!)and I appreciate the massport on the fanatic and the JP giving another possible use to the board(essentially when I go back to my hometown on the Mediterranean Sea)

I would like to try, before I buy, but haven't found any vendors who carry those boards in my area. Any advice would be awesome, and appreciated.
Thanks a lot,

Aude

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looking for my first inflatable
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 12:57:06 PM »
I'd recommend.. the Fanatic Ray Air Premium 11'6"x 31"x6, 295L

beaner

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 02:46:11 PM »
I have the JP you mention, but a 2013 before they offered the WS option. I'm 155 lbs and have paddled with a 50lb dog no problem. I think you would be happy with this, I still have mine and taken it on several trips. Silent Sports in Toronto carries JP.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 03:32:51 PM »
Got a Fanatic Premium. Last years model in 12' x 34". Here's something on it. Maybe helpful, maybe not.
 http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,27333.0.html
Also got last years Starboard Astro Touring Deluxe but the 14 footer.
I like both real well.  Tho neither of those are exactly either of what you are looking for, from what I know from mine, and what you want from yours I would go with the Fanatic tho I not sure you would go wrong with any of the three.  The bags, at least on both the Starboard and Fanatic are top notch. Actually can't remember exactly what pump came with the Fanatic but the Starboard's is great. I think the Fanatics was way good as well and I just passed it on to my daughter so she had a good pump as I already had a good pump.
There is definitely a difference between the "standard" and "premium" Fanatics, at least 2014 standard and 2015 premium. I think that is unchanged between them, the differences. Go with the primo as you noted.
Have fun.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 03:37:26 PM by lucabrasi »

photofr

• Peahi Status
  • Dakine… fun
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Outdoor Photography
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 03:54:29 PM »
You said GLIDE... so I guess you didn't mean it lightly :)
Here's the thing: the first impression of an 11-foot board isn't glide. A 12'6 board will be a lot better, but still: the glide will be put in question.

If you can handle the length, and if you are specifically looking for glide, then a 14' board will not disappoint.

I cannot recommend a lot of 14' inflatable boards because I have only tried three of them. You should at least consider this one:
iSUP Racer 14x28 from Starboard.

Plenty of room for you and your dog.
Plenty stable, but still challenging.
Fast, and lots of glide.

Here are some photos, virtual tour, and action shots of the board:
www.tourfr.com/56104
Nelo SUP - 14' x 23"
Nelo Surfski 560M - 18'4" x 17"

LeeBee

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 06:58:30 PM »
Consider the Imagine Mission
Personally I have the 12'6" by 31" and it would easily hold you and your dog (I weigh 195 lbs.). I use it to teach friends and it is stable as can be for folks up to my weight. If you look at it go with the heavier DXE construction re. your dogs nails. Other than upgrading the stock fin, it paddles well, has enough rocker near the nose to stay dry in a waves. I would not go longer if you every paddle in a cross chop.
2019 Mistral Stealth 17' 6" x 24"
2019 Mistral Interceptor 17' 6" x 24"
2017 NSP Ninja 14' x 25"
2016 JP Australia All-Around 11' 8" x 31"
Stellar S16S surf ski
Kai Barton ARES OC-1 outrigger canoe

comeu

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 06:20:03 AM »
Il n'y a pas grande différence entre ces modèles, ils sont fabriqués dans la même usine où du moins de la même façon, même aileron... Prenez le moins cher et le plus beau!

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 07:54:27 AM »
I'd agree.. "glide" isn't the first word that comes to mind when describing iSUPSs. 
They are a lot of fun, have many benefits, but there's always a compromise.
At 5'3", I think you'd appreciate the fact that iSUPs are not delicate and can be dropped, bumped, and dragged while getting to the water.
The same can't be said for hard boards.

But have you ever paddled an iSUP?  Make sure to try one first, just to be sure you like to blend of attributes they offer.
The Fanatic mentioned by lucabrasi sounds like a good fit..  I have an RRD 10'4" x 34" iSUP... the 34" width is perfect for taking the dog along.
10'4"is a bit stubby though in terms of flatwater glide.
If you have any thought of sailing, yep.. try to get one w/ a mast base.  I've sailed mine -- not often but I"m glad I chose one that accepts a sail!
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 08:25:09 AM »
I was going to ask why you specifically wanted an inflatable? If it's for storage then I get it. Otherwise, and as stated above, I would definitely try one first. I would also then try a hard board just so you have a comparison.
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

Aude

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 09:27:28 AM »
Thanks guys for all your replies. It is very helpful.

I want to choose a board who gives enough room for the dog but without being too wide for my narrow shoulders. My light weight is also a problem making any inflatable board longer than 11' too much volume for me (unless I go very narrow and my dog is going to hate me).
I think the windsurf option is definitely appealing to me, so the JP and Fanatic are leading, like you guys said they would be both great first boards.
But which one ? (La moins chère, comme dit Comeu ;)) I wish I could try them both, it would make everything easier !

And to be more realistic, I'll keep the "glide" for what would be my second board, a rigid typed race  ;D

Aude

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 09:42:25 AM »
I was going to ask why you specifically wanted an inflatable? If it's for storage then I get it. Otherwise, and as stated above, I would definitely try one first. I would also then try a hard board just so you have a comparison.

It is essentially to be able to travel with it, and to enjoy paddling on winter without fearing the floating ice.
Yes I did try some last summer and if it's not the same as a rigid, the durability and portability are winners

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 09:51:51 AM »
Contact JimK here on the Zone.  He sells both Fanatic and JP -- can ship either to you, and is a great source of product information and recommending the right product to your needs.
And you will qualify for the always-great Jim K 'Zoner discount...
(As long as you know the secret password)   ;D

I think 32"-34" width is about right.  Below 30" would be a bit narrow for the dog.  Don't worry about your narrow shoulders.  You'll appreciate the extra stability of 32"-34".. both for paddling and definitely when sailing.  I wouldn't worry too much about going over 11'.  Longer will give slightly better glide.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 10:00:52 AM by spookini »

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 10:00:16 AM »
No one has mentioned a Red Paddle Co 12'6 Race?  Glide, and room for the dog.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2016, 10:01:14 AM »
No one has mentioned a Red Paddle Co 12'6 Race?  Glide, and room for the dog.
Can't be sailed though..

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2016, 10:39:56 AM »
It is essentially to be able to travel with it, and to enjoy paddling on winter without fearing the floating ice.
In water that cold, you'd fear it going pssssst! instead...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal